Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Redcat needs to find a different electric starter...

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat needs to find a different electric starter...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Dragonii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat needs to find a different electric starter...

First off let me say that I am very pleased with both of the Redcat vehicles that I own. My Shockwave is very fun to drive and the Avalanche is just plain bad a**, with that said let's move on to what I am not happy with...

I decided to buy the Redcat electric starter system (70111e) and replace the pull starts on both of my vehicles. The first time I used it I only ran one tank of fuel and as my cars fire up very quickly I only hit the trigger a couple of times. The second time I used it the trigger got harder and harder to push. Then it just stopped working and smoke started to come out of it. Now I know better than to just hold the trigger down so that was not the cause of my problem. When using something like this you want to just bump the trigger in short burst, kind of like what you get when you yank the pull starter.

I opened it up to find out what was going on and discovered that the bottom of the plastic button had melted, resulting in the need to push the button harder. The metal contact plate under the trigger had snapped in half and what was causing the smoke was the fact that the negative wire runs right alongside the contact plates on the positive wires push button and its plastic coating had melted or peeled away. This allowed the negative and positive poles to contact causing a short. This is kind of dangerous if you ask me considering that you are holding the battery compartment in your hand. If it shorts out enough to make the battery flame up or explode it could cause some serious injury.

I would love to think that I just got a bad one out of a bunch of good products but a friend of mine bought the same kit for his Avalanche just a few days after I bought mine. When he took his out to use it for the first time it immediately failed to work. He didn't even get the truck started with it once. The motor in his was turning but the output shaft stopped moving all together. When he showed it to me I decided to open it as well and see what the problem was. These things are very simple in design and easy to open. When I pulled the two halves apart I instantly saw the problem. One of the gears in the output drive was missing about 1/3 of its teeth. In both cases these starters had what looked like very old and dry lubricant around the gears yet not much at all actually on the gears to lube them.

To Redcats credit they did send me a new starter with no trouble and they are replacing my friends as well... however... I have a hard time with the fact that we are two for two on bad starters here.

If you open one of these things you will see right away that they are just poor designs and that they are more likely to fail than not.

So my call to Redcat is this... guys, please finds a better product to sell us devoted fans than this piece of junk. There are other models out there in the same price range that are better built. I know that Redcat is constantly striving to improve their products and I feel that this is a perfect item to do so with. When I had mine start smoking and saw what was causing it to do so all I could think of was how horrible it would be to have one of these short out and have a battery explode in some kid’s hand.

Find us a better starter guys. Please.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:37 PM
masterhacker1989

Default RE: Redcat needs to find a different electric starter...

Yeah I agree, Redcat really needs to get its stuff together, if they are having problems with the manufacturer, get A new one. The company that my buffy works at just switched manufacturers because the motor brake assembly they were getting were way outa spec. Alls they are doing is hurting themselves, yes I understand they are very proactive about replacing parts, but people don't want stuff to break to begin with.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Dragonii

Yeah, I have no complaints about the quality of the vehicles thenselves that I have from Redcat, but when you have a 6 cell battery where the negative wire runs right alongside the thin sharp metal plates of the push button with nothing to protect it except the plastic of the wire itself... there is a problem.

I should open it up post some photos so that people can better see what I am talking about.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 PM
All-or-Nothing

ORIGINAL: Dragonii

Yeah, I have no complaints about the quality of the vehicles thenselves that I have from Redcat, but when you have a 6 cell battery where the negative wire runs right alongside the thin sharp metal plates of the push button with nothing to protect it except the plastic of the wire itself... there is a problem.

I should open it up post some photos so that people can better see what I am talking about.

Pics or it didn't happen...............

Sorry just kidding, can you post a pic. I would like to see what you are talking about.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

YES, post pics!

redcats owner reads/sees these posts. and a picture is worth a thousand words!

personally, i like pull starters better. i hate carrying around a wand, and hate it more when i forget to charger the battery[:@]
Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
masterhacker1989

OK if the redcat owner reads the posts:

MAKE ALUMINUM BELL CRANKS AND A ALUMINUM CENTER DIFF UPER PLATE FOR THE 8E SERIES VEHICLES, Im sick of the crappy plastic ones breaking
Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: masterhacker1989

OK if the redcat owner reads the posts:

MAKE ALUMINUM BELL CRANKS AND A ALUMINUM CENTER DIFF UPER PLATE FOR THE 8E SERIES VEHICLES, Im sick of the crappy plastic ones breaking
that one was soo loud, i bet darin hear it in his sleep...lol
Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 PM
masterhacker1989

Well, I figured the redcat people cant miss it then
Old 04-26-2011, 05:58 AM
Dragonii

I should have known better than to post this without pictures. lol

Ok, here is the gear with the missing teeth.

As for mine that started smoking I didn't take any pics of the melted plastic before I tossed it, but you can see what I am talking about in regards to the poor lay out of electronics in this pic.

As you can see, the button works buy pushing the top metal plate down and a bump on the bottom of the plate contacts the bottom plate completing the circuit. The black wire (negative from battery pack) cradles right there on the plates. I had to move it out of the way to take the picture. There is nothing isolating the negative wire except it's own plastic. If those plates get hot enough to melt that plastic or if it becomes worn or the plastic cracks for some reason... you can easily end up with contact. Mine melted. As to why it melted I don't know. But something else that I did notice... if you look at the black wire at the top, near the motor where it bends, you can see that part of the wires plastic coating had been pinched between the two halves of the housing. With vibration from the motor I would imagine that over time that could become an exposed area on the wire and it is pretty close to the button contact plates.

I just think that for a $55 dollar kit we could maybe get something a little bit better built. I know that I myself will not be buying any more of these.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:04 AM
Dragonii

I know what you mean. I bought it because I have two vehicle and I have a small bag that carries my radios, a couple of wrenches and a small fuel bottle. I had an extra pocket for the wand so I thought it would be a good idea.
Downfall was that when I was 2 hours away from my house and it stoped working my fun for the day was over. My buddy was still running his truck and I was dead.

I wish there was a way to have the electric starter plate and keep the pull start as a back up. Kind of like what you get when you use starter blocks.