Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 3.5 barely accelerates

Old 05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
deniska

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 3.5 barely accelerates

Hey everyone, recently had a crash, long story short, water got into my reciever, that opened my throttle to the MAX, i smashed into a fence, car was standing with its throttle open for 20 seconds by the time i ran up to it and killed the engine, FUUUU!! That COMPLITELY destoyed my spur gear, replaced that, now i start the engine, starts without any problems, but as soon as i give it gas, it barely moves, i have to be on highest revs to get it moving a bit, if i am on the grass....doesnt move at ALL!!! First thing is, clutch, looked at that, looks OK, when the engine runs, flywheel is spinning, but feels as if the shoes arent engaging the clutch bell. What could be wrong?? THANKS!!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 04:07 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Earthquake 3.5 barely accelerates

maybe the grub screws that hold the dogbones on the trans are loose and spinning or the slipper on the trans is loose, its the nut with the spring on it that holds the spur gear on.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:03 PM
deniska

Appreciate your help but i have no idea what you mean =/ The dogbones are the driveshafts right? If i spin the spur gear all 4 wheels spin, so i doubt its that!! But that nut you were talking about, with the spring, that wasnt tightened properly, you think that could be causing the problem?? Thanks

Edit: Does the clutch look OK btw???
Old 05-02-2011, 05:38 PM
jaofos

If you hold two (or all 4) wheels in place and turn the spur gear, is there normal resistance from the diffs or is it too easy to turn?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:59 PM
deniska

If i hold the wheels and turn the spur gear, it spins with the wheels, doesnt spin freely at all.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 PM
All-or-Nothing

What does it do with all 4 wheels off the ground.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:20 AM
deniska

if i spin without holding the wheels they spin, all 4, if i hold them then same thing as on the ground.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:27 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: deniska

Appreciate your help but i have no idea what you mean =/ The dogbones are the driveshafts right? If i spin the spur gear all 4 wheels spin, so i doubt its that!! But that nut you were talking about, with the spring, that wasnt tightened properly, you think that could be causing the problem?? Thanks

Edit: Does the clutch look OK btw???

The nut and spring that hold the spur on are called the slipper, it may be too loose, when you have it off the ground there is little to no resistance, when on the ground and the engine turning there is resistance and power, i would suggest trying to tighten the slipper nut (clockwise) a couple of turns and see if that helps.

Dogbones are drive shafts, there are cups that they sit in, these cups have small set/grub screws in them that hold them on a shaft, if they get loose the shafts will turn but the cups wont and the dogbones wont turn.

Clutch looks fine.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 PM
deniska

Alriiiiiight, i finally got it to work, turns out it WAS the loose spur gear. Thanks a lot everyone, really appreciated!!!