Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Blackout XTE..upgrade to brushless WEIRD ISSUE with loss of power

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Blackout XTE..upgrade to brushless WEIRD ISSUE with loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 03:46 PM
ConcreteBoots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackout XTE..upgrade to brushless WEIRD ISSUE with loss of power

Having a strange issue, Hoping it’s something silly...truck was only working in front wheel drive so I figured the rear diff was shot. Decided to go a little further..added ...
-hobbywing 3800kv 540 brushless motor & WP-10BL60 ESC (comes in a Redcat SC Pro) with LiPO plug
-Goolrc 64t Metal main gear & 26t metal motor gear
-nitro twin fan heat sink
-front & rear complete replacement differentials
-Hosim aluminum adjustable shocks

Install went smooth (first time breaking down an RC that much), Bench tested to make sure all 4 wheels were spinning, motor spinning in right direction, steering works, etc..put wheels on, charged up a couple new lipos and its doing something really weird...

It hesitates on initial pull of the throttle, kinda clicks like it’s stuck and takes a couple seconds then takes off like a bat out of hell...runs hard for maybe 30 seconds then cuts out, won’t go forward or reverse..steering still has power, fans running, just won’t budge..if I walk closer to it it will sometimes go another it’ll burst but then that’s it it stops dead... Turn it off for a few min, back on and it will do the same thing...seems like something really silly...
...wrong gearing ? Motor not liking the 64/26 combo ?
...gears too tight together ?
...need program card to make an adjustment ?

Before I tear it all down again I’d like to have an idea of what to troubleshoot first if possible....any input greatly appreciated..

Old 08-11-2020, 02:37 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Motor connections are solid?
Did you do a throttle calibration with the new ESC?

It sure sounds like low voltage cutoff (LVC) symptoms where you still have steering, but no power going to the motor. If the Red LED is blinking, it's a LVC issue. If the Green LED is blinking, it's overheated.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:36 PM
ConcreteBoots

Ok great thank you !
I just watched the calibration video on Redcat YouTube, didn’t realize I had to do that. Charging a battery and will do that and see if it changes and/or check the led color and report back.
Im assuming if it blinks green after that the esc is over heating and need a 12v fan on there for the LiPO ?
Old 08-17-2020, 03:32 PM
ConcreteBoots

I have a red blinking, but the motor is getting like super super hot, wires are hot, something is up with it, now even not with any gears hooked up just bench testing the motor is heating up like crazy..can’t even touch the motor or wires.. I’m stumped. The super nice guy that sold me the motor and esc on eBay is sending out another and tried to help me diagnose over the phone, awesome customer service he said it’s still a chance I’m doing something wrong so we’ll see hopefully later in the week when the new one comes..really strange
Old 09-05-2020, 04:26 AM
ConcreteBoots

Think there was some reverse polarity or something going on with the first set up, seller sent me a new redact brushes motor and esc, same that’s in my camo tt and it works perfect. Sheared the first gear, meshed a new on in tighter and its ripping now, the thing flys.