Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:19 AM
zaintlouis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

thanks griz, before i use hair dryer but now i'm using my hot air soldering iron to heat up the cylinder heatsink (one use to solder Electronic IC's). you can chose how hot you want it to be. more over you can adjust the heat that you deserve.

i just wonder nowadays some are using pinching tools. how do you use them? is it more effective than the current method people are doing?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:37 AM
Jas the Ace

Well Grizz, it wasn't the finsh I was expecting to be honest, but I will take a win as a win, lol.

Louis, a "Hot air soldering iron"? You have my interest now!! What is it? The only thing I can think of at the moment is a blow torch or oxy acetalyne kit!! Or am I way off track? Please educate me a bit here, thanks.

I am also curious about these "Pinching" tools. What are they and how do they work?

Mozz, are you close to nitro lst from nitro bashers? If you are I might try and organise a single package deal between you and him. The more I look into my Aftershock the more things I find wrong with it, or should I say the more dodgy patch ups the previous owner has done to try and hide his abuse!! I was looking foward to having a bit of fun with the Losi tomorrow (Sunday) but after my discovery of crap repairs I think I wont risk doing major damage to other parts. I might try and do an engine transplant from the Losi into the Bazooka, just so I can have a bit of a bash with the boys tomorrow. And yes Louis, I will advise the camera operators and administrators to upload some video footage of more than 10 seconds, I am like you and like to watch a decent amount of action, not just a glimpse of disaster, hehe.. Just hope they dont show to much of my poor driving skills, lol.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:06 AM
zaintlouis

Blow Torch no way, those uses butane gas! Hot Air Soldering Stick has the same operating principle as hair dryer. IT BLOWS HOT AIR only. it's just that you can control the temperature of the blown air from normal to hot temperatures. just turn the knob just like in the volume control of a stereo component, just keep it distant when i use it.

I'm not really familiar with the pinchtools but i think it is designed to retighten a worn or old sleeve provided it is not damage.

here's one of the link http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/options/...sizemaster.htm

and this... http://www.rayaracing.com/prodtooling.htm
Old 06-30-2007, 01:32 PM
mozzzy_2000

G'day fellas. Got say grizz, jas, where did the wallabies pull that one from hey? Anyways yeah louis I'd always recommend with a new engine to always heat it up first whilst its particularly tight as well as loosening the plug. I do reckon its much more forgiving on a new engine to especially loosen the plug but since the sleeve is primarily designed to achieve a perfect fit with the piston when its at a running temperature, it does make a significant difference heating it up. I've always used a hairdryer too personally. You dont want anything too hot otherwise you risk frying any plastic components round the engine. I have also got a heat gun or paint stripping gun and on a low setting it heats the engine up really quickly. Depending on the type of ,I have had to heat engines up for at least a gallon of fuel or more. A lot of people are telling me thesedays if you get the runin right the engine should be able to be turned over easily on a starterbox yet still have that "snappy" pop of the piston at TDC. I suppose all in all like anything with RC its all personal choice in the end to what you do.

Louis I'm not sure what the best method is in regards to pinching a sleeve. I have asked actually one of the pros here but he really didnt know. From what I have read on the net & from engine modders websites most of these guys regard it as a "secret" and there's never any real detail given.

Jas yeah I buy my fuel of NitroLST aka Scott Dalrymple. He's a good bloke. I dont know him that well to be honest but I've been around hom enough to know he's a good guy. Most of the guys on NB seem to but heaps of gear off him so he's known as being a bit of a guru in that regard. Let me know if you need to contact him.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:57 PM
grizz1

[&o] We lost [&o] Never mind. To be honest I didn't tnhink we played well enough in the 2nd half to deserve the win.

Man - it is still bloody raining over here !!!! I was planning a hell two car bash today, but looks like it is not going to happen. I managed to run a couple of tanks through the Bazooka yesterday between the showers, bashing in my street. The people just down the road are selling their house and were having an open home - got a couple of evil looks from the real estate agent because of the noise, so I buzzed her car a couple of times [>:]. Bloody nitro hoons lowering the tone of the street - ha I've been there 30 years now, so I figure I can make a bit of noise when I want, especially during the day. Some people just don't appreciate the smell of nitro in the morning air - unbelievable !!!!

The rain stopped this afternoon (yahoo). Me and a mate had a great 3 hour session racing our two XUT Truggies, my Bazooka and his Storm buggy. Hell racing with some close calls but no carnage (whew). This guy is a hard on racer. He has built a neat adjustable jumping ramp, with his immediate project being to jump his garage. He has jumped his Savage MT onto his garage roof, then driven it off the roof back onto the driveway. Not something I would try with my beloved cars. Check out his video at
http://www.youtube.com/user/azzmanracing

Hope you guys had a good weekend and managed to burn up some fuel somewhere along the way
Old 07-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Jas the Ace

Cool vid grizz, but I think the dog needs to learn a new trick, called "Fetch"!!! hehe.....
Old 07-01-2007, 08:55 AM
zaintlouis

nice vid griz, very amusing! your mate is kinda funny too. wow what a very tough truck!! we're not talking about grass landing but cement! am too not that kin of jumper :-)

I suppose all in all like anything with RC its all personal choice in the end to what you do.
Thumbs up!

Matt, what happens if we chrome plate a worn sleeve, will it give good compression back? better than repinching the sleeve?

Imagine if we can refurbish a sleeve, we could make our expenses a little lighter.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:37 AM
zaintlouis

Geez the cobra arrived today, i guess i should dismantle it first make a sneak peak of what's on the inside, clear it from dust metals or whatever you call it? should i do these things Matt or just left it as is and start the break in?
Old 07-03-2007, 02:58 AM
Jas the Ace

Hi Louis, from what I understand is its best to clean the new engine first, But if your a slack bum like me just rip up some dirt with it, lol.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:27 AM
zaintlouis

Thanks Ace! i'll clean it up then.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:39 AM
Jas the Ace

Where is mozzzy? I have to sort something out!! Just involves my money and his engine, lol.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:09 AM
zaintlouis

Maybe a kangaroo stole his hotdog and his going after it :-) or maybe when he woke up he found himself inside a crocodile and now still trying to get out of it.

When i hear the world Australia..all i think about is Wildlife!
Old 07-03-2007, 05:29 AM
rclynx

LMAO[sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Jas the Ace

Hehe, yeap, I love this place....the animals are friendly, the people are wild, the Doctors are....................flamin' mongrels!!! Bloody terrorists were plotting away, just less than a casual 50minute drive from me. It's a worry hey, who can one trust these days? At least no one has targeted us buggy bashers, I think it's cos they know how much fun we have....I hope!!!
And an Aussie hotdog is a slice of bread with a greasy banga and charcoaled onions with a good serving of tomato or BBQ sauce, maybe both. Hmmm my mouth is watering, hehehe, lol. We even have kangaroo and crocadile banga's.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:49 PM
zaintlouis

Ahhh.. i love the sound of that, you just made me ate 3 pcs of jumbo hotdogs. slurp!! uuuuoooommm. Hola!!

BTW, i have finished dismantling the cobra. i just realize i can do the modding myself with the dremel tools! polishing would be my main problem.

as to compare the P5 Crankshaft from the Cobra crankshop, the cobra has bigger scoop and is polished.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20513.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	715720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78691.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	715721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85480.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	715722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29154.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	715723  
Old 07-03-2007, 02:02 PM
mozzzy_2000

Looks cool hey? hope it runs as good as it looks! LOL yeah modifications are actually easy to do with the right tools but the key to it all is to have the right measuring instruments to know precisely where to be macking those cuts. I dont think its exactly as simple as a shave here or a shave there hey? I could be wrong but I reckon there's quite a bit of skill involved. The more you look closely at that engine you'll notice more & more as a lot of it is so subtle its hard to actually tell where the mods gave actually been made. Also is there modifications to the inside crankcase and around the exhaust port?

Cant wait to here how it goes hey!

Jas. PM on its way
Old 07-03-2007, 10:40 PM
zaintlouis

to have the right measuring instruments to know precisely where to be macking those cuts.
The scoop in the cranshaft is to push more F/A mixture to the chamber. The purpose of the cut is to allow more ( or increase volume) F/A mixture to flow inside the chamber. the direction of the cut should point to where the notch of the sleeve is to easily push the burnt gases to the exhaust. The polishing of the crankshaft is to smoothen the flow of F/A mixture going to the chamber. (smoothening eliminate turbulence too) i think it's just simple as that as what i have observe from the engine modding threads.

Just try it matt i'm sure it will not fail you. well as for me, i'm going to mod my vertex if i just get myself some dremels. i got to get it from ebay.

I saw some difference on the crankcase too, they have bigger passage for F/A flow and i think it's more advance.

Jas, if you get something from mozzy, it sure is a better one. he never gets anything without studying the product first, researching ABOUT THE PRODUCT. atleast also you have save that kind of effort i mean you do not need to do those kind of effort again.

i Love wildlife too even love to live in Aus if i become a millionaire i'll buy your neighbors house then we can drink beer together then haha.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:56 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

I think this thread has gone from 1/8th Redcat to 1/8th Auzies, LOL
Old 07-04-2007, 02:16 AM
Jas the Ace

Your all welcome to buy the houses around me so I have some exciting neighbours. Then we can spend time with Beers, BBQ's, Boobs, and Bashing Buggies.
I'm still out of action, but I have my plan B to keep my amused for a couple weeks, put the mach.26 on the Bazooka, if not I will do a full strip down and clean everything up, make things look all pretty again, by then I will be close to getting my Losi parts for the m/t, then also a nice little .21 for the Buggy. There's always something to do.

1/8th Aussie
Old 07-04-2007, 03:38 AM
zaintlouis

My Redcat is still out if action too. two servos out! power turns need super power servos! have to get a 13kg steering servo for the redcat. actually i have already ordered one from amainhobbies and it's on it's way maybe in a week. so i hope i get no more troubles when it arrives. i have to admit i'm a WOT DRIVER wide open throttle is what i do all the time when making power turns even on super rocky terrains. that's where i broke the second steering servo for the second time. whew.. if only i get a good video doing it i'd stop doing i anyway i'm proud to announce that I'm gonna put the cobra not on my 777 but on my redcat! hehehe

Mozzy any stories on your modded LSK? did it rip your gears again?

yeh jas that's what i love on this hobby you can still find something else to do even when its out!
Old 07-04-2007, 03:55 AM
Jas the Ace

I knew there was something else I needed for the buggy, a good MG steering servo!! Thanks for reminding me Louis. Hey what did you buy? My LHS has some Hi tec ones for about $60au, but they are only about 10kg!! Surely I can get better for that price, to my door even! I remember mozzz cheering about some brand he bought for a good price, what were they again, and are they still value for money? Refresh me up on quality servo's again please.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Jas the Ace

To all the ARL fans, Qld lost their appeal for the whitewash, bugger, but bloody hell...what a good game to watch!!

1/8 aussie forums, lol.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:34 AM
zaintlouis

Jas, i think it's an MG995 Servo for only 10 -14$US. i bought that servo too but but it will take a month before it arrives. That's the reason why i bought the 13kg servo from amainhobbies coz they ship right away. The 13kg is design to handle the truggies and monster trucks, so I think the 10 kg will just be ok on our buggies since it is lighter.

According to matt he bought several of it ( 3 if i can still remember) and the one that he currently uses still works fine. so he got several servos for his reserves. The MG995 is getting expensive so i think you better get several too before it gets to be 60$US each

" oh my god my dog!! what is he doing with my leg???!!! i think he thinks it's his mate!!!! damn doggies! i think i better get a pet crocodile next time." :-)

Hey griz what 's with the silence are you so busy? anyway, laters fellas!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:20 AM
grizz1

Hey Louis, I am still here bro. I have been hammering the overtime at work (92 hours a week the last fortnight), to pay for a well earned holiday and some buggy retail therapy Consequently I have not had much time for bashing or surfing the forum.

Got the buggy out for a quick blast this afternoon and stacked it into a kerb. Snapped off the screw that holds the bottom steering ball joint to the steering hub. Actually it didn't break the screw, it stripped the thread out of the alloy steering hub, so I will be waiting for parts again to get me back on the road. I am slowly building up a parts reserve for speedy repairs, but a steering hub I don't have in my collection.

I missed out on that Rossi P5 engine too. Someone bid over NZ$400 for it (around $360 Aus). I would have needed to buy a pipe and header as well (NZ$159), so I flagged it at that price - pity, as I could picture it sitting snuggly in the Bazooka [&o]

Never mind, I have a cunning plan that I am saving my dollars for. I am thinking a second new Bazooka with a Go Tech 7 port .21 engine (with stage 5 mod) and Hong Nor pipe and header from Massive Mods. Spektrum reciever and Blue Bird servos. This will allow me to use my current Bazooka as a out and out basher, while giving me a full supply of spare parts on hand to always keep my good car on the road.
I could buy a locally sold model with parts availability, but I am sort of fond of the Bazooka now, and am impressed with it strength and all round performance for the price. I can't get anything locally that is as strong for under $1000 without radio gear fitted.
Also there is supply of Kyosho MP 777 parts available here which I can also use on the Bazooka. Can any of you wise heads see any pitfalls in my little scheme for a performance buggy ? Go Tech engines OK ?

I look forward to your comments fellow bashers [8D]

Old 07-05-2007, 06:24 AM
mozzzy_2000

Hey guys before I forget I'm off to QLD for 10 days tomorrow so if you were wondering where I'd gone, thats where! I shalt not make you guys jealous with the details.

just catching up. Those MG995 servos are great hey. They are advertised incorrectly at 13Kg when infact they are a 15Kg servo!!! Even better! That really is all you need hey especially on the steering. If you use them for throttle & brakes I would suggest only doing this if you can set the servo end points with your radio. I say this because its so strong that you risk over extending the carby slide and damaging it. It even makes the radio tray rock back & forth which is a bit of a problem in itself hey.

Hey Grizz dont worry about the engine hey. Man for a second hand engine I'd never pay that much even if it has only had 2 tanks through. For not much more you could pick a brand new one on ebay. I often wonder why someone would purchase are hugely expensive engine only to sell it 2 tanks later hey. Each to their own but yeah dont worry there will be heaps better bargains to be had I'm sure of it.
In regards to your plan I'd say thats not a bad approach. If you already have one bazooka and can get parts easily it makes sense to have 2 because if you are like me you'll always have at least one buggy up & running hey. I have almost got 2 myself. Well ones a kyosho MP7.5 which for all intensive purposes IS a bazooka. However If you intend to get a bit serious with racing then I would avoid the hurricane/bazooka purely because its an old design, its very heavy and I dont think it matches whats available on the market today. If its the best you can afford, IGNORE my comments! Because we all know it still represents great value. I suppose you could some it up with "you get what you paid for".
Whichever way you go with the buggy you simply cannot go wrong with the Gotech engine. Now thats a cracking little engine hey. You get all the performance of an expensive Italian engine yet at the price of a cheaper Taiwanese engine. I think Massive Mods is selling them Stage 5 modded for $399 which is pretty good value hey. The only thing about these engines is that they haven;t been around that long so their longevity is pretty much unknown at this stage. All indications seem to be pointing at a great value engine. Infact people have been telling me these beat the similar STS engines hands down hey although they are still relatively unknown in the US.

Hey Grizz in regards to finding a buggy under $1000, what are your thoughts about mailorder and ordering from overseas? I reckon I could find you a Hyper 7 or 8 at at least half that hey. I reckon we could get one shipped to you in NZ for probably $600 all up. Anyway let me know your thoughts.

Cheers all...until I return..be good..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.