Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:52 PM
MiniCwik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Ok thanks to the great info and responses here I got my idle better/slower and was trying to tune it today when I encountered another problem ... it seems the brakes engage too often, I can roll it somewhat freely with it not running and it seems to slow down on its own quicker when it is running and I let off the throttle.

Anyone encounter this? Or have any suggestions to alleviate this?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:24 PM
zack221

loosen up the two allen screws on the brakes dont loosen them to much or you wont have brakes
Old 01-07-2007, 08:00 PM
nitrospeed33

for the tornado bb you have to remove the servos and all that crap[:@] its anoying and i need to fox my brakes.[] oh well, as long as they work.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:21 PM
zack221

No you dont just unscrew the 4 screws holding in the tranny and lift it up and turn the screws.Just dont lift it to far or you will pull the driveshafts out.When you do this you dont have to worry about gear mesh because the tranny mounts back in the same way and the gear mesh dont change.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:57 PM
nitrospeed33

jusr tried it, it worked. i got my brakes all fixed. yay! thanks zack.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:15 AM
MiniCwik

Thank you zack, and everyone else as well. If it was for sure my brakes grabbing too soon/fast, it seemed to subside on its own as I was looking it over after some time having it back in the house where it was warmer (35 degrees outside) and it's rolling along fine and not slowing itself down. If it does return I will check that further.

I did notice that the disc portion of the brakes seemed to be somewhat out of round as it spins, like I see more of it at certain times, weird.

How cold is too cold to run these things outside? I mean we haven't had snow up in Michigan much this winter (yet) but the temps in the low 40's to upper 30's is it okay to run them?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:17 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can run them just be careful not to lean the engine out too much since you can blow it up. its easy to lean an engine in the cold since it makes them run warmer.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 AM
MiniCwik

Cool thanks! I will be very cautious and feel I am still running mine richer than optimal settings as I am still very close if not right on from the factory defualt settings listed in previous posts.

I (as well as my bro-in-law) have learned so much from this great site/thread and hope to continue learning and even contributing as well ... we already had to replace his clutch spring after having his out of the box and on the floor/ground for about 3 hours. Now, we need to adjust the tension on the end of his throttle linkage (where the spring is at) his throttle does not pop back to the idle/open position after hitting the brakes and we didn't have a small enough mm allen head to adjust that but will soon.

Thank you again!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:59 PM
NSXTACY

Anybody know what teh approximate range for teh Tornado BB's radio is? I might upgrade to FM around Bday. How much range do 27mhz FM radio's get? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:26 AM
ehroof

around 250-300 ft, depends on the area you are in.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:12 PM
nitrospeed33

I might die[] i'm dying to drive my baby. shes crying for me to drive her. man, i hate snow[:@][:'(]. snow melts fast here like i said, but its melting to water and slush which we all know is bad for the rc cars.[] plus weve gotten alot lately, so it melts, and snows and melts partway then snows harder, than melts alittle then snows again. ahhhh. im going insane.[sm=bananahead.gif] does this happen to any of you guys? ill just post alot of pics, alot of them, that way ill feel better.but first i gotta find out how.[sm=tired.gif]
Old 01-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Snow is a killer huh.. we have had a mild winter. Still hangin in the low 80's lol...
sorry had to throw that in. I miss the snow though really...
Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 PM
NSXTACY

Hey atleast you have all of your tires. [:'(] I am waiting for my tires. Hopefully they will come this thursday. I have just been going outside and revving the engine listening to it switch gears with the wheels off the ground. lol Sounds pretty pathetic hun? But why don't you try riding it in the snow? Just lean it out a bit to keep temps up. And Yea i would love for you to take pics of your car... YOu got a BB right? Thats what i have, i love it when it works. I live in the south so i can't experience snow very often. Coldest it gets is like 20 degrees which is too cold for me. It was 40 outside to day and i thought i was gonna freeze to death. [&:] Sometimes i wish it would snow here, it would be fun the go snow bashing, but i would only do it for a couple minutes because a southerner like me would freeze to death.....
Old 01-09-2007, 09:39 PM
zack221

No do not lean it out to keep temps up you will blow the car up.Put a piece of aluminum foil around the head if it is real cold out and retune but do not lean it out to get temps up you dont tune for temps.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

The colder air will lean it out. If anything, you need to richen it up in the colder temps.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:17 PM
NSXTACY

Is 250-300 good or bad? Im not a smart when it comes to radios. Anybody reccomend upgrading to FM? I heard teh redcat radios were glitchy and low range.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:29 PM
ehroof

not so good, get a futaba 2ph $45, 2pl $89 or spektrum $169 depending on your budget
Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 PM
NSXTACY

Could you give me a link for a good setup? A link for the transmitter and for the reciever that are compatible with eachother and cheap.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:47 PM
nitrospeed33

snow is bad. its ususally warmer in colorado.[] isn't there some thing that happens to the waether every couple years, had to do with jet stream or somethin? i cant think of it, but i think thats why its been how its been.oh well, itll melt soon enough. i hope.[]
Old 01-10-2007, 07:22 AM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: NSXTACY

Could you give me a link for a good setup? A link for the transmitter and for the reciever that are compatible with eachother and cheap.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXASX3**&P=ML
Old 01-10-2007, 07:29 AM
MiniCwik

Well I drove my truck last night, after making some cuts in the stock body so that I could access the fuel tank through the passenger side window and in the bed to access the glow plug and pull starter ... temps were in the low 30's to upper 20's and it was running pretty good, although rich and here is how well my night went:

[ul][*] Crashed into bro-in-law's car, broke the body/shell where the passenger side bumper would be and half of the passenger side hood [*] Clutch spring went on me, as it became hard to start and while trying to burn the rest of the fuel up it stalled and would not start while on the ground[*] Broke/snapped my antenna mast right down where it goes into the receiver box
[/ul]

The body is no biggie, I will duct tape it up as best as possible and already ordered my replacement body (2003 Dodge Ram qc since that is what I drive) - .

I had two springs and a new clutch bell housing on order since Monday, so that should be here soon and I can fix that for good.

Anyone know what guage wire the antenna wire is? I'd like to cut and then solder it below the mast and install a new mast.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:04 PM
shadow

ok if u have any question on redcat cars e-mail me at [email protected] i will try to answer all your tech questions.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:31 PM
MiniCwik

ORIGINAL: shadow

ok if u have any question on redcat cars e-mail me at [email protected] i will try to answer all your tech questions.
Hmmm, there should not be a "www." in front of an email address so I tried it without and got the following:

"Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
66.226.4.160 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 unknown user <[email protected]>
Giving up on 66.226.4.160."
Old 01-10-2007, 06:15 PM
NSXTACY

Got my stuff! Yay. It drove good. But with my luck there is always problems. [:@] Not big ones but minor ones that will effect the way my car starts and drives. 1st prob is the stupid cheap pistol radio steering wheel's right bumper broke off. So now when i turn it right it wont stop turning right until it hits teh left bumper. It not a huge deal but can confuse you and could cause an accident. So i was wondering they do sell JUST replacement pistol radio wheels (the wheel looking thing to steer the car) at Hobby Town? Here it is: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGDY3&P=0 I don't need a new radio right now just the wheel.

Also the stupid pull starter had a problem. The little cheap piece of plastic tubing that keeps the starter handle from kicking down against the pullstarter is messed up. It is almost all the way cut in half, so when i start the engine the handle jolts back at the pull starter and the string goes in between the cut in half part of the stopper tubing. Could i get a replacement at HobbyTown? The tube on the right on this site is what im talking about: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUP89&P=0
I would buy that but i have JUST recently ordered clutchsprings from them and do not feel like waiting. I want it NOW![>:] Is there a household item i could use as a makeshift stopper??

~IMPORTANT~ Also it looks impossible to untie the knot in teh pull starter string to get teh handle and plastic stop off. My question is would it be "OK" to cut off the knot and make another? Just wondering cause i thought if i make the starter pull shorter it might mess up teh engine....... Would it??? Just making sure before i do it.

I guess i got what i payed for......
Old 01-11-2007, 03:58 AM
naviuk

Hi

I wanted to know, I saw the write up on the 2 speed tranny and it;s great,
Is it difficult to change from a single speed to a 2 speed? to me looking at it the only thinkg would be the clutch bell and the gear box with the 2 gears....?

thanks in advance for all the help.

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.