Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:37 PM
Boxhead from MN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Need help. Lost the screws that hold the pullstart on. Anyone know the size?

And Jellypotato, I've heard of other brand engines failing so it's not just Redcat.

I've ran over a gallon through my Redcat and the only problems I've had are the

pullstart coming loose (my fault no lock-tite) and the steering (too loose).

Chris
Old 05-31-2008, 09:14 PM
chevyderek72

well you were using the wrong glow plug, your supposed to use the number 3.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Gelo_USA

could a wrong glow plug cause this kind of damage??
or could it be because of the one way bearing failing??
Old 05-31-2008, 11:05 PM
ugly duck

Judging by the condition of the wristpin, it looks like you were too lean. What kind of fuel were you using?
Old 05-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Redharris

yep.....
My Money is on "too Lean".
Also.....maybe the flywheel nut came loose and the crank was able to move with More play than it normally has.....
Did you bugger up the Spur gear? That would be sign of a wandering crank....
Old 06-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Swamp3r

ORIGINAL: jellypotato

Now I'm craving a mc chicken and fries, you could have used a different napkin in the pic lol. From what I've read the engine replacement isn't a big deal to put up with. I'd use the replacement program and get a new engine, also were you setting your engine to bdc and using after run oil. It's just a thought, but using the wrong glow plug could of caused it for sure if it was too long into the cylinder. I don't know the plugs that your using so I don't know if the depth is different. I hope you don't give up on the truck man they are good rc's.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:49 AM
jellypotato

wrong glow plug ???? Even if it's the wrong glow plug, it wont cause the crank to break like that... and I know I'm not running it too lean. I read in some japanese manual for the os glow plug and says that no.3 is for fuel less than 20% and used on airplane engines or .12 car engines... and no.8 is for .18 engine using 20% fuel... So leaning out the engine and wrong glow plug rules out.... My guess is the quality of the material... anyone with me ???
Old 06-01-2008, 02:51 AM
jellypotato

nah..... when I checked the engine, none of the parts or screws were loose.... and the fly wheel were just like brand new
Old 06-01-2008, 03:04 AM
Swamp3r

I doubt the quality of the material I have 3 redcats all sh engines and I have bought 4 gallons of fuel in the past 2 months I still have 3/4 of a gallon but all 3 of my trucks run awesome. So you know I've ran the hell out of these trucks it isn't a quality problem so you can rule that out.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:05 AM
Swamp3r

can you show me a pic of the top of the piston?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Just a guess, but to me you might have put it on the bump box wrong. The one way might have caught(only supposed to catch in one direction). You can put a car on bump box wrong.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Gelo_USA

I ran my truck today... but it keeps dying when I release throtle after a few minutes of running... the idle is set right...the motor is not overheating I tried putting some water drops on the head and it takes some secs before it dessapears... it doesnt even sizzles.... and the throthle servo is adjusted....
when it dies like tht its kind of hard to make it come back.....I have no idea what it might be.... I m running a little on the richer side... affraid to damage the engine....

also the clutch bell is starting to get like brownish golden.. like when u heat metal... but I think thts normal right?? I ve seen lots of pics with the clutch bell like tht....
I m buying anyways... a full clutch assembly with clutch bell and bearings jst to keep it as a spare....
Old 06-01-2008, 06:25 PM
racemaxx24

Lean her out. That will help alot. The clutch bell will turn brown a bit but not much
Old 06-01-2008, 09:49 PM
luxuryblue883

Just got my first Nitro a Volcano SV. After the 3rd tank of fuel I have no brakes and only the front wheels drive. I am assuming I need to pull the rear differential out and replace gears. Little dissapointed that I have to start replacing things already. Or could it be something simple?
Thanks. DId some searches but not always sure what people are talking about.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Redharris

No rear Drive?
Check the Rear Drive Cup on the Transmission. It is Notorious for comming loose.

In Fact, (with a new Vehicle) Check ALL of your screws and fasteners for Tightness and LocTite any screws that attach to Metal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30936.gif
Views:	25
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	961887  
Old 06-02-2008, 07:17 AM
luxuryblue883

No rear Drive?
Check the Rear Drive Cup on the Transmission. It is Notorious for comming loose.

In Fact, (with a new Vehicle) Check ALL of your screws and fasteners for Tightness and LocTite any screws that attach to Metal.
[/quote]

Thanks, Will check it tonight and see what happens.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:20 AM
ugly duck

Make sure you get the grub screw properly lined up with the flat on the transmission shaft when you tighten it, otherwise you'll lose rear drive again in about 1.5 seconds. And use Loctite - people say blue, I'm gonna say red on this part. In order to release red loctite you need some heat, but you shouldn't need to release it any time soon.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Gelo_USA

mine came with lock tite already but I would give a check anyways because my truck came with lock tite but came missing washers on the diffs LOL... HUMANS!!! hahahaha maybe they forgot to lock tite it.. also check the cup on the rear DIFF as it could also be ur problem..... or maybe not cause if it was the cup on the rear diff u would be able to break.....
Old 06-02-2008, 06:01 PM
ugly duck

ORIGINAL: Gelo_USA

or maybe not cause if it was the cup on the rear diff u would be able to break.....
exactly.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Gelo_USA

got my volcano running perfect today.. doesnt die anymore but I think its too hot is it normal??? I didnt think it was suppost to get this hot thts why I was running rich a little.... now I still get a lot of blue smoke out but it doesnt die... and the head is hot enough to fry my finger if I touch it for a couple of secs... if I put couple of drops of water it sizzles and evaporates within 5 secs... is it too hot??? I think I got the perfct tune cause its running perfect and is not dieing...

another question.... most of the parts from the volcano are compatible with the tornado right??? like the front and rear gear box...??? I might give up on the hurricane and get a tornado because of tht.........
Old 06-02-2008, 07:58 PM
luxuryblue883

Thanks for the help. Had to pull the tranny out to re attach the cup set screw (with loctite) because the brake was in the way. But now I know how to pull it apart and I have 4wd drive as well as brakes again. and the amazing part is that there were no spare screws left on the bench when I was done. Thanks Again !!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Swamp3r

lol on the no spare parts
Old 06-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Gelo_USA

lol.... its good when "bad" stuff like tht happens.... I have my volcano for a month.. in 2 weeks I knw it inside out... everything... because whoever BUILT it at the factory made the favor of not putting the spacers in the front and rear gear box so I took it apart like 100 times went through 3 sets of diff gears before I found out but now I knw everyscrew on it..... LOL .. and thts a part of the hobby.... taking it apart and fixing it... thts one of the reasons I like RCs in general....
Old 06-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Gelo_USA

BUMPING.... (if this is not allowed in this forum let me knw and I wont do it again)

"got my volcano running perfect today.. doesnt die anymore but I think its too hot is it normal??? I didnt think it was suppost to get this hot thts why I was running rich a little.... now I still get a lot of blue smoke out but it doesnt die... and the head is hot enough to fry my finger if I touch it for a couple of secs... if I put couple of drops of water it sizzles and evaporates within 5 secs... is it too hot??? I think I got the perfct tune cause its running perfect and is not dieing...

another question.... most of the parts from the volcano are compatible with the tornado right??? like the front and rear gear box...??? I might give up on the hurricane and get a tornado because of tht........."
Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 PM
chevyderek72

you should be ok on your tune. it should evaporate or whatever in like 5 seconds, but i know for sure im running too rich when im running wot and it cuts out. then i richen it up a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.