Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:23 AM
ScreaminRieman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

hey thanks man i appreciate it! if any one has any more please let me know!
Old 04-20-2008, 02:12 PM
numskull223

gOTTA QUICK QUESTION, I bought some traxxas wheels, with the 12 mm hex. They fit but the back spacing is to deep on the fronts. I was wondering if they make some thing to extend the axles, i just need about 1 inch per side. Thanks jeff
Old 04-20-2008, 05:07 PM
gokartingbob455

3 questions-

1. will the tornado bb or xp shocks fit on the shock wave?

2. will the tornado bb or xp chrome rims fit on the shock wave?

3. what is the distance between the 2 bottom screw holes on the vertex .16 back plate that comes with he rtr shock wave?

thanks dudes
Old 04-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: numskull223

gOTTA QUICK QUESTION, I bought some traxxas wheels, with the 12 mm hex. They fit but the back spacing is to deep on the fronts. I was wondering if they make some thing to extend the axles, i just need about 1 inch per side. Thanks jeff
cut and paste at ebay.. - 12MM HEX WHEEL EXTENSIONS FOR TRAXXAS STAMPEDE VXL
Old 04-22-2008, 06:28 PM
outlawz

Hey im totally new to the gas rc cars and am having trouble getting my car to shift. i have a redcat tornado xp. i checked my clutch spring before and it was broke but i fixed it and it still did not shift. i dont know how to fix it or what i should check first. i dont know much at all about these cars but i dont remember it shifting even when it was right out of the box. let me know asap if you know what it is or what i should check first. it could be possible i didnt fix the clutch spring right but i have no idea. so help me out if you can... thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:16 PM
mileslong

this problem is too common. on your trans. there are two set screws one locks the hub in place and the other is for shift points. if it's stuck in first gear turn the shift point set screw out 1/2 turn at a time and test it it can be a long and painfull process if it's in 2nd gear just do the opp. this is why most of us go with the single speed trany. hope this helps anyone eles have some info if i'm wrong wich i think i'm not
Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 PM
numskull223

ORIGINAL: Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: numskull223

cut and paste at ebay.. - 12MM HEX WHEEL EXTENSIONS FOR TRAXXAS STAMPEDE VXL
Thanks, I looked at them and I ended up making my own, with a lil beefer steel. Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: huejohnson

this problem is too common. on your trans. there are two set screws one locks the hub in place and the other is for shift points. if it's stuck in first gear turn the shift point set screw out 1/2 turn at a time and test it it can be a long and painfull process if it's in 2nd gear just do the opp. this is why most of us go with the single speed trany. hope this helps anyone eles have some info if i'm wrong wich i think i'm not
Right on the money but smaller adjustments... Probably 1/4 turn max at a time. It's real easy to go to far.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:18 PM
dak70

I'm a newbie to RC Nitro cars and I have a problem. When I run my Shockwave in the grass I loose all power to the wheels. The buggy seems to get more and more slugish until I can go full throttle and it just sits there. The engine revs, but no power at the wheels. I will stop running it for some time and the problem goes away. Any Ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks,

-DAK
Old 04-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: dak70

I'm a newbie to RC Nitro cars and I have a problem. When I run my Shockwave in the grass I loose all power to the wheels. The buggy seems to get more and more slugish until I can go full throttle and it just sits there. The engine revs, but no power at the wheels. I will stop running it for some time and the problem goes away. Any Ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks,

-DAK
That's a tough one without really seeing it. You'll have to chase the problem to find it. Start at the bell and tranny. Both spinning? then from the tranny to the diffs. the drive cups that hold the shafts come loose fairly frequently. If your good there check from the diffs to wheels. If the shaft from the tranny to the diff is spinning but not from diff to wheel could be a bad diff. If they are all spinning but tries wont move check the 12mm hex for the wheels. Still have the pins behind them? Stripped? Like I said without seeing it it's kinda a tough one. Hope this helps......
Old 04-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Cam_132

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dak70

Thanks,

-DAK
Hi Dak

that could be a buntch of things... Spurgear, Diffs, Differential pinion gear, Drive cup (had the grub screw come loose and the cup would just spin) or a broken shaft... so check all of thows things and report back with photos if you can...

-Cam-

p.s. the Diff pinion gear would be located behind the diff. when you pull the diff out the gear will be right behind it, it will be held in by a "E" Clip and the way to get them off is take a pare on Needle nose plyers and squeze it shut and put it in the open part and open the plyers and it should come right off, may take some time and "E" clips are notorious for springing in to the un-known... so try not to loose any... if you do take one off some ware elts, they are all the same size except the clutch it uses a big one...
Old 04-24-2008, 05:42 PM
will0983

need to know what size dogbones for the front? thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 PM
dak70

Thanks man! I'll check it out. I was kinda thinking it is something with the clutch/tranny.

-DAK
Old 04-27-2008, 06:17 PM
mileslong

I've been into rc cars for a long time, now my son is into them. So for his first car i bought him a shockwave. I've upgraded the shocks,clutch,clutch springs, a few other small things, and of course the motor to O.S .18. But with this car something keeps happening that I've never seen before, the bog bones keep snapping in half. At first I thought it was something that he was doing. So I fixed it then I took it for a drive, I drove it around for a while with no problems untill i put it on the track. I was sitting on the front stretch and put the hammer down the car moved about 10 feet. this time 2 bones broke. I've looked through all my books and all my notes and can't find anything even similar, and nobody I,ve talked to has anythig stronger. So what I'm asking is has anyone eles had this problem or know of where I can find stronger dogbones. Thanks for the input
Old 04-27-2008, 07:28 PM
gokartingbob455

once agian i must say redcat needs to manufacture and sell diamond parts. those dog bones wouldn't break if they were made of diamonds!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:00 PM
rclynx

Try lowering your LCG and bend the tabs so the arms can't come down so far................that might help a little [:-]
Old 04-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Hibityhupla!

i've had that happen too. It will either happen when a rock gets stuck somewhere it shouldn't while moving or they will bind if you have it set to high with stiff suspension. It sounds like you getting it moving and it gets stuck with all that force and "snap".
Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
gokartingbob455

rocks get in my wheels all the time and my dog bones never break...i guess im lucky.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:48 PM
mileslong

the suspension is set very soft with 40wt. oil and as for stones there is none my back yard is all clay and my track gets groomed before every use. the only thing I can figure is torque and tons of it.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 PM
el_tonto

ORIGINAL: huejohnson
I was sitting on the front stretch and put the hammer down the car moved about 10 feet. this time 2 bones broke. I've looked through all my books and all my notes and can't find anything even similar, and nobody I,ve talked to has anythig stronger. So what I'm asking is has anyone eles had this problem or know of where I can find stronger dogbones. Thanks for the input
Consider swapping to [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7433522/tm.htm]Traxxas sliding universal shafts[/link]. They are the shafts used on the Brushless Rustler VXL and that thing can hit 60+mph with ease so they should stand up to the torque. I've done this mod on my front end but have to admit I haven't driven the thing in anger yet. I would expect the weak point to be the yokes on the diff outdrives, so hopefully tonight I can get it out and give it some torture and find out!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:53 PM
BBOY619

Hi, im super newb at this nitro rc. I have a tornado xl, and I bought an O.S. .18 CVR for it. doesnt have the flywheel, clutch shoes, bell, or any of that, just the engine. Can someone tell me what parts i need to get that will make the CVR compatible with the tornado? I called hobby people for help but they don't carry redcat stuff so they couldn't help me much. I am looking preferably for lower gearing. if anyone has links to the parts, that would be real nice. Thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 08:30 PM
S.R.G.
My Feedback: (4)

I got all my parts in today for a 2 speed transmission, cup a, cup b, and steering set a. I put the 2 cups/ends on the transmission WITHOUT lock tight so I could get them off if a gear was to strip (unlike stock that was lock tight on forever). I was meshing the motor and the transmission today, but was unsure if I did it properly. I put a strip of paper .5 inch long around the spool, then pushed the motor with the muffler mount on the engine snuggly against the transmission, and screwed the motor screws in tight. I am wondering if I properly meshed it when I pressed on the muffler mount to get a good fit. Is there any way to test the mesh after the motor is mounted? Should I be pressing on the motor in a different spot to get a good mesh?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:57 PM
gokartingbob455

how do you change the oil in the shocks?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:25 PM
texas tornado

Having reciever problems any help
Old 05-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Swamp3r

Is it the fm radio? Whats it doing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.