Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tsunami Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:06 PM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tsunami Thread

I just ordered the tusami and wondering if theres anything that needs to be done right away.I have heard about replacing clutch and spring but thought red cat fixed the problem.Anything I should look out for?Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
KeithjV

Only thing I did right of way was change out the tires and rims. I put Yokohama Geolanders on but other then that the truck is all stock. My clutch spring did break, but I just bent a new end on it and its been working since.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:19 PM
241 racing

Where can I pick up those tires and what rims work?I have a t-maxx so I have extra clutch springs if needed.Hows the 2 speed?Iv'e read where there have been problems with it.Is there a single speed I could install?or can I lock it so second gear doesn't engage.Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 06:39 PM
KeithjV

ORIGINAL: 241 racing

Where can I pick up those tires and what rims work?I have a t-maxx so I have extra clutch springs if needed.Hows the 2 speed?Iv'e read where there have been problems with it.Is there a single speed I could install?or can I lock it so second gear doesn't engage.Thanks
These are the wheels Im using http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Scorch-6-Spo...713.m153.l1262
and these are the tires
http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-2-2-Yokohama...713.m153.l1262

I havent had any problems with the two speed. Some guys have taken it out and replaced it with the single speed, or like you said you cant just tighten the screw so it doesnt shift, though I dont know why you would want to do that. This truck flies with the 2 speed.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Joshusmc75

If anyone has a line on 115 mm dogbones let me know, I've been waiting for several weeks for Redcat to get them in. I'm getting desperate at this point.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:24 AM
241 racing

ORIGINAL: KeithjV

ORIGINAL: 241 racing

These are the wheels Im using http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Scorch-6-Spo...713.m153.l1262
and these are the tires
http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-2-2-Yokohama...713.m153.l1262

I havent had any problems with the two speed. Some guys have taken it out and replaced it with the single speed, or like you said you cant just tighten the screw so it doesnt shift, though I dont know why you would want to do that. This truck flies with the 2 speed.

Thanks man,I will try the 2 speed and see how it goes.I will keep a good eye on my gear mesh and see how it goes.Thanks again for the links.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 AM
eminentguitar

Joshusmc75 search them on ebay.com there is a guy there that can got you any length for redcat
Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 PM
eminentguitar

Here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/Redcat-Racing-Ni...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Joshusmc75

@eminentguitar

Unfortunately he doesn't offer the 115mm dogbones for the ultrawide.

It seems no one does and Redcat has been out of stock for over 2 months. Pretty ridiculous that such a simple part is no where to be found.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Macanan

ORIGINAL: Joshusmc75

@eminentguitar

Unfortunately he doesn't offer the 115mm dogbones for the ultrawide.

It seems no one does and Redcat has been out of stock for over 2 months. Pretty ridiculous that such a simple part is no where to be found.
Check this out go half way down and you will see how someone extends some dog bones to make them longer

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_53...page_28/tm.htm
Old 03-06-2008, 10:35 PM
saleens7

ive been thinking of buying the tsunami....but should i get the ultrawide or the standard? is the ultrawide worth the extra $$?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Macanan

The ultra wide comes with aluminum A arms front and rear and also has an aluminum muffler, its wider so it will be harder to flip over, the regular has plastic A arms, plastic muffler and will flip easier, so thats about the difference in them.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Macanan

If you decide on the ultra wide go ahead and get 2 or 3 extra sets of dog bones for the wheels because there hard to keep instock and if you lose one or bend one you will be waiting for ever to get them if there out of stock because no one ells carries them.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:53 PM
saleens7

hmmm

im leaning toward the untrawide now.....even with the big difference in price, the aluminum components and wider stance seem to be worth it.....and its still very affordable....

anything i should know about before i buy one? it will still be a while before i do (i have to wait till my birthday) but i like to plan ahead....

its been a while since ive messed around with RC.....hoping to get back into it soon......
Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 PM
nitrosushi

So I got my Ultrawide this week and just TODAY I was able to get my first tank of gas into it to start breaking it in. I definitely needed to mess with the idle needle sine when I had it at idle, with the power off, the wheels were spinning. The thing is that no matter how I turned it the wheels kept spinning. so then I adjusted the LSN and thast seemded to work. Now when I hit the break it stalls so I need to adjust that now.

The pull start is a pain in the a** but either I have to get used to it or find out if I can put an electric start on it. Can somone comment on this?

I am going to try and mess around with it more this weekend and run another tank or two through it.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:56 PM
KeithjV

You dont want to adjust the needles too much during break in. I recommend the heat cycle method as it seems to produce the best results. The pull start will get easier as the engine breaks in. You can also loosen the glow plug a little till the truck starts then tighten it up or you can use a hair dryer or heat gun to preheat the engine. I wouldnt mess with the needles too much till you have about 4 tanks through it.
ORIGINAL: nitrosushi

So I got my Ultrawide this week and just TODAY I was able to get my first tank of gas into it to start breaking it in. I definitely needed to mess with the idle needle sine when I had it at idle, with the power off, the wheels were spinning. The thing is that no matter how I turned it the wheels kept spinning. so then I adjusted the LSN and thast seemded to work. Now when I hit the break it stalls so I need to adjust that now.

The pull start is a pain in the a** but either I have to get used to it or find out if I can put an electric start on it. Can somone comment on this?

I am going to try and mess around with it more this weekend and run another tank or two through it.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 PM
jumpanddrop

i would not lossen the glow plug and then start it. you askin for a stripped head if you do that.[X(]
Old 03-07-2008, 11:53 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually he is correct, it lessens the compression from a tight pinch and makes it easier to start if you loosen the glow plug a little.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:28 AM
nitrosushi

ok.. here's my latest...

I *may* have been messing around with the LSN and the idle screw a bit so what happens now is, when it starts the wheels spin REAL fast for about 5 seconds and then the car just craps out and dies. I tried turning the idle screw and LSN counter clockwise but nothing seems to help.

Suggestions?

Dan
Old 03-08-2008, 11:34 AM
KeithjV

Sounds like you have it too lean. Try setting it back to the factory settings. If you dont remember what they were check the manual it should say it in there. You dont want to mess with the LSN till the engine is broken in. You want to run the engine rich till you finish the break in. The idle should be set just high enough that he engine doesnt stall without engaging the clutch. If you cant get it to run at all without the clutch being engaged you may have to take the CB off and check the clutch spring.
During break in you want lots of smoke, you are trying to get the engine parts to mate with each other.
Post back what you find.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 AM
pede_187

can I call it a tsunami? http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...nt=shocks2.flv
Old 03-08-2008, 04:33 PM
nitrosushi

Sounds like you have it too lean. Try setting it back to the factory settings. If you dont remember what they were check the manual it should say it in there. You dont want to mess with the LSN till the engine is broken in. You want to run the engine rich till you finish the break in. The idle should be set just high enough that he engine doesnt stall without engaging the clutch. If you cant get it to run at all without the clutch being engaged you may have to take the CB off and check the clutch spring.
During break in you want lots of smoke, you are trying to get the engine parts to mate with each other.
Post back what you find.
I tried setting it back to factory settings but now I can't get it to start at all. Since I can't even get it to start I am not gonna mess around wieth the clutch (even if I knew where it was!).
Old 03-08-2008, 07:58 PM
KeithjV

Did you check the glow plug and make sure its still working?
Is the fuel making it to the carb?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:05 AM
241 racing

Just got my Tusnami last week after a couple ordering issues,but thanks to ehroof and Nick all got fixed.I must say I'm pretty inpressed with this thing for the money spent.I have had 3 tanks ran through it so far and not one problem.I was amazed at how easy it fired right out of the box.I'm gonna try to stock up on a arms,bulkheads and shock towers as I see breaking a few of these parts.It's to cold to play outside all this week,posibly 40's by next weekend though.Thanks Ehroof and Nick at Red Cat.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:23 AM
nitrosushi

Did you check the glow plug and make sure its still working?
Is the fuel making it to the carb?
Hey Keith,

The glow plug looks good and when it does start it revs REAL fast then cuts out after a few seconds.

I am gonna mess with it a bit more then probably take it to my lhs and beg for their mercy to help me with a car I didn't buy from them.

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.