Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:03 PM
ssrc30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got my Tornado S-30 and I am EXTREMELY impressed. The quality is FAR BETTER than I thought it would be and I can't wait until I can get it out and break it in. MANY thanks to Redcat for producing top quality products.

My only question, and I am sure a few of you other noobs have had the same one, is how do I PROPERLY install the antenna tube onto the car? I know that I am to slide the antenna itself through the tube but there is a considerable amount of extra wire that comes out the end. Am I to trim it off, which I know for other type models is a huge nono, or leave it and not use the end cap that came with the tube........ what do I do?

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. Likely ALOT more questions to follow lol....
Old 10-21-2008, 06:28 PM
natanddiane

Default RE: YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do NOT trim your antenna wire! Leave it trail behind the antenna, from under the cap. If you neatly push the antenna wire down into the receiver box, it will pick up servo noise from the steering servo. These cars and trucks operate in the 27MHz band, and this frequency is pretty darn noisy, and easy to detune. Changing the length of your antenna wire will alter your SWR (Standing Wave Ratio), and allow undesirable harmonics of the 27mhz band to tell your car to do bad bad things. Please let it trail, do not change the length, AND A BONUS...
STAY AWAY FROM CB RADIOS!!! This is the same freq truckers use on the interstate! Their rigs sometimes pump several hundred watts output. Not only will this make youir pride and joy go whacky, but could burn out the receiver.
Another bonus? If you have a couple bucks laying around? Upgrade the radio gear with one of those 2.4 GHz digital radios out there. Those guys are spot on, and hard to glitch out. Try one, you love the response!!

ENJOY YOUR NEW TOY AND HAVE A BALL!!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:33 PM
ssrc30

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I know about the CB's as well because I drive truck and I know how the CB's can mess around with certain other frequencies as well. Does the S-30 really go 60MPH like I have been told it does?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:50 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no it doesnt....look for speeds around 35 to maybe 40 mph if that...
Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 PM
ssrc30

Hey that's fast enough for me lol.... It's my first RC car so I don't need anything faster than that for now. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being its you first....make sure you take the time to go over the entire buggy...take you time and lock tite all the screws going into metal with blue lock tite....check the needle settings...make sure u count the turns...and allow the lock tite to set up...and as far as your reciever antanna...cap it off..then coil whats left around the tube..then put a small rubber band at the end...
Old 10-22-2008, 04:13 AM
natanddiane

Do not forget to loctite the starter screws that hold it on! As long as you are in there, get teh screws that hold the engine back plate on too. As well as the motor mount screws!

Use CA glue on the screws that go into plastic. Just dont get any on the heads. Only the threads. You'll be ok.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:05 AM
chevyderek72

i got my truck up to 40, and my regular buggy, just the tornado not the s-30, is faster than my truck. ill test it next time i have it out, they are pretty fast
Old 10-22-2008, 11:46 AM
ssrc30

Ya I have seen some videos of them running and they seem to go pretty quick. Just trying to decide if I should lose my pull starter and stick to a bumper box or a drill. Not sure how I am gonna like the pull starter on this one I am one of those guys who like to giver it all he's got lol........
Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM
chevyderek72

I like pull starts, if you have a bump box or a drill start its just more things and more weight to carry. say your at a park drivin, and you leave your car to drive other places too, you have to bring your drill start or bump box in case it dies