Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Idle Screw Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:38 PM
k_fred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Screw Replacement

Hi Guys,

While adjusting my idle screw to tune my engine, I unscrewed too much, while the engine was running, resulting in the screw falling onto the spinning flywheel and shooting off into the abyss. Needless to say, this screw was unrecoverable.

Then, in an attempt to replace the screw, I went to home depot and tried screwing various fine threaded screws into the carb until I found one that fit. Consequently, the screw that I found to fit does not appear to be a direct fit since I now have two carb setting options:

1)screw all the way out and carb opens/closes freely, but closes completely and kills engine when brakes are applied.

2)screw tightened, but carb does not open/close freely. if the throttle is opened, it will not close back to idle speed when throttle is released, but rather stays open.

I can only assume from these experiments that the screw i used to replace the idle screw is of the wrong size.

Could anyone tell me the dimensions of this screw?

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Are there any best practices that I am overlooking when installing the idle screw? (i.e. any particular throttle settings

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:28 PM
FULLYGROWNKID

Default RE: Idle Screw Replacement

i had the same experience with my idle screw...i took the whole car with me to Ace Hardware and a guy there found the right size he actually had 2 cut it length wise....and then tried it in the carb....took 3 cuts for it 2 work properly opening and closing the carb....so maybe take the screw u have and take a lil off at a time and see if that helps.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:30 AM
scrambles12

u cant just buy one online or something
Old 11-03-2008, 10:48 PM
k_fred

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. FULLYGROWNKID, if I understand you correctly, you screwed a replacement screw purchased from the HW store into the throttle body and ran into the same issue I have until you shorten the total length of the screw? What I am having difficulty understanding is how the total length of the screw would affect the carb setting if the idle screw needs to be screwed in at a particular length to set the carb. Wouldn't shortening this screw only lessen the extent the idle screw protrudes out of the throttle body?

Uncertain and a bit confused,

Kurt
Old 11-04-2008, 12:01 AM
FULLYGROWNKID

unfortunately the whole experience was totally new 2 me...but yes as we shortened the length of the screw it began 2 work properly in the carb....i can now make adjustments to the carb and i finally got that 1mm gap....sorry i can't explain it in more detail
Old 11-04-2008, 02:13 AM
scrambles12

u cant just buy a new one?????
Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 PM
FULLYGROWNKID

i called Redcat and sent emails about getting a replacement but never got a response....alot of guys tried to help me on thise and another member gave me the idea to just hit the hardware store...and lucky for me it worked out
Old 11-04-2008, 05:30 PM
k_fred

Again, guys, thanks for the replies.

This weekend I'll head over to the local hardware store with my truck and and look for a solution, keeping that screw shortening tactic in mind. I'll post my findings along with my process and try to close this thread with a definitive solution.

To be continued...