Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New Monsoon break-in suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:10 PM
AmoebaCowboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Monsoon break-in suggestions

I just bought a new Monsoon (should arrive tomorrow!) and with the wet winter weather here in the northwest I've got some time to break it down and tweak to my heart's content before it sees any serious abuse. Aside from the usual engine break-in process and locktite for metal-metal screws, what other things would any fellow Monsoon owners recommend be checked/adjusted/hopped-up?

I'll be eventually looking to race locally (sportsman class) and am viewing the Monsoon as my starter sled so anyone with experience racing the Monsoon who have input would also be appreciated.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:11 PM
vnmsgt

Default RE: New Monsoon break-in suggestions

Get some ofna 1/2" hub extensions and some LPR 1/2" offset wheels and tires, 12 tooth clutch bell, make sure your pipe is not up against your fuel tank, get a Kyosho ST-R ackerman plate, change the diff fluids to 5-10-3 (I think that is what I ran) and tear it up!!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:24 PM
AmoebaCowboy

Why the offsets? For a wider stance/better traction or for better steering control? The stock footprint is already fairly wide so some reasoning behind the suggested change would be appreciated. I assume the ackerman plate recommendation is also to increase rigidity in steering response but is the Monsoon stock plate that wiggly?

I'll definitely be changing the diff fluids, not sure what ratio though, will have to play with it to find something that fits my driving style.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:47 PM
el_tonto

Make sure you don't go wider than the class permits, so go look that up before ordering your offset hexes.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:24 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: AmoebaCowboy

Why the offsets? For a wider stance/better traction or for better steering control? The stock footprint is already fairly wide so some reasoning behind the suggested change would be appreciated. I assume the ackerman plate recommendation is also to increase rigidity in steering response but is the Monsoon stock plate that wiggly?

I'll definitely be changing the diff fluids, not sure what ratio though, will have to play with it to find something that fits my driving style.
The stock wheels on the monsoon are 1" offset and if you want to use other wheels and tires because the stock ones will not last long you have to do what I said to get the same width for the truck. If you just go with 1/2" off set wheels and not the extensions the truck will not be as wide as it should be as the arms are not as long as other truggies.

As for the ackerman plate, it just plain sucks on the monsoon. It is way to soft and will bend so easily it is not even funny. You will notice you steering goes away because it will start to bend and bind the steering. Even the upgraded one redcat sells sucks and bends just as easily. Get the Kyosho one and be done with it. I had to bend both of mine back probably 50 times! Really sucks in the middle of running and you lose half your steering on a track.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
AmoebaCowboy

Thanks for the info vnmsgt.

Initial impressions: I just got the Monsoon yesterday and spent last night tightening and familiarizing myself with the layout etc. Overall a very beefy and substantial heft to the unit. For the price point I was expecting something not as polished or rugged and am pleasantly surprised. I changed out the stock fuel lines to reroute them away from the cooling head since stock lines were very long and quite close to the engine. Been reading up in the Monsoon thread and notice there are some differences between the original release Monsoon and what I received (notably yellow plastic rims vs blingbling chrome look) so I'm curious what other updates or changes occurred during the production run (Redcat Nick? Anyone?). For instance I've seen previous posts suggesting installing a stiffer anti-squat bar but the one on my chassis is metal and very stiff....

The aluminum pipe does sit fairly close to the fuel tank so I'll probably apply some heat-resistant insulation between them which should be sufficient.

I'll also be upgrading to a Futaba 3PK and most likely digital high-torque servos (Hi-tec?). I didn't see any twitchiness in the stock AM(!?) radio/receiver but I need to get off my ass and upgrade anyway to a nicer single radio for my kits instead of juggling 4 of the damned things. vnmsgt do you have part numbers for the Kyosho ST-R plate or 12t clutch bell you ran? I see what you mean about the ackerman plate.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: AmoebaCowboy

Thanks for the info vnmsgt.

Initial impressions: I just got the Monsoon yesterday and spent last night tightening and familiarizing myself with the layout etc. Overall a very beefy and substantial heft to the unit. For the price point I was expecting something not as polished or rugged and am pleasantly surprised. I changed out the stock fuel lines to reroute them away from the cooling head since stock lines were very long and quite close to the engine. Been reading up in the Monsoon thread and notice there are some differences between the original release Monsoon and what I received (notably yellow plastic rims vs blingbling chrome look) so I'm curious what other updates or changes occurred during the production run (Redcat Nick? Anyone?). For instance I've seen previous posts suggesting installing a stiffer anti-squat bar but the one on my chassis is metal and very stiff....

The aluminum pipe does sit fairly close to the fuel tank so I'll probably apply some heat-resistant insulation between them which should be sufficient.

I'll also be upgrading to a Futaba 3PK and most likely digital high-torque servos (Hi-tec?). I didn't see any twitchiness in the stock AM(!?) radio/receiver but I need to get off my ass and upgrade anyway to a nicer single radio for my kits instead of juggling 4 of the damned things. vnmsgt do you have part numbers for the Kyosho ST-R plate or 12t clutch bell you ran? I see what you mean about the ackerman plate.

I ran the Redcat 12 tooth bell with no problems at all. I will see if I can find the part number for the ackerman plate. I do know here in the redcat section and/or the truggy section where there is a monsoon thread also someone posted the part number and pic of the st-r plate. Will see if I can find it.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:24 PM
AmoebaCowboy

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt
I ran the Redcat 12 tooth bell with no problems at all. I will see if I can find the part number for the ackerman plate. I do know here in the redcat section and/or the truggy section where there is a monsoon thread also someone posted the part number and pic of the st-r plate. Will see if I can find it.
Yeah, I managed to find it in the main Monsoon thread, around page 19-ish. I'm thinking it just might be possible to flip the Kyosho ackerman plate the other way to avoid the steering linkage bumping that people mentioned and not have to change toe-in all that much. Depends on the clearance of the front tower strut assembly.