Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Volcano S30 or Traxxas Nitro Sport Pro.15

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano S30 or Traxxas Nitro Sport Pro.15

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:27 AM
boostnm3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano S30 or Traxxas Nitro Sport Pro.15

Ok like i said, i am new to this whole nitro rc. I am looking at a new redcat racing volcano with sh.18, pipe and header. Im also looking at a new Traxxas Nitro Sport with pro .15 motor. Not sure how well either are built. Do both have plastic gears? Which would be more reliable? Also which 1 has more power or speed or is it even noticable? Give me your insights on what you think of both. I guess the pros and cons of both. If the traxxas has plastic gears then it probably eats them like the volcano. Not sure which to buy... Both are roughly the same price, maybe $20 difference.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:04 AM
natanddiane

Default RE: Volcano S30 or Traxxas Nitro Sport Pro.15

Ok. Based on my redcat experience, buy the volcano. That sh18 motor is a screamer. BUT even before you put one drop of fuel in her, get the motor out! Right away, first thing. Remove the pull start, and put blue loctite on the threads and put it back on. Leave the thing that looks like a nut be on the shaft.. its your one way bearing. When your pull start falls off, you'll be buying one of these.. they cost about 20 bucks to have shipped to your door. Noone else carries spares except the redcat online store. They will ship to you the way you want... but your LHS aint gonna provide backup for the " kitty" Next thing, remove the motor mounts from the engine, as well as the exhause manifold. RED loctite the exhaust screws on. They WILL vibrate out, and make the manifold fall off. ANother 20 bucks, shipped. Red loctite the motor mounts to the engine... and blue locktite the mounts to the chassis. You'll be adjusting these.. follow the manual for guidance to set the motor in place.. and make sure the kitty still rolls freely across the floor.. no drag.
Whail you are ordering things, get some new front dog bones. The universals are not worth the cost, they break off after a half tank of fuel, and the first jump.
After typou have redded the motor, and blued the pull start and mounts, go to bed. Wake yup, go to work. (or school) you aint ready yet. That motor carries inertia. It has to be SECURE! The red loctite takes 24 hrs to set. You do not want that motor moving at al;l. You will burn off the gears. Yup, nitro is a challenge.. but worth the smell, and the sound. You'll find the Volcano to be a time consuming maintenance nightmare, as with all nitro rides... but, WOW! She's FUN!!
Also, after EVERY tankful, something will break for the first two of three gallons of fuel. This is normal for nitro rides, with rookies. Remember,. these things are RAW POWER! Respect it, and you'll have better luck that I did.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:05 PM
boostnm3

ok thanks for the response
Old 11-29-2008, 04:18 PM
natanddiane

My Pleasure. Glad to help. Enjoy the Volcano. BUT if you ever get the chance, try an associated MGT 8.0

WOW!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 05:45 PM
el_tonto

Teh volcano is 4WD so you'll get improved handling over the 2WD Nitro Sport. Aftermarket and LHS ("local hobby shop") support is probably better for Traxxas overall, but since the Nitro Sport is their entry level car then it doesn't have as good support as would, say the Nitro Rustler (OTOH a lot of Rustler parts would probably bolt up perfectly well)

The .15 would be down on power compared to the SH18, but the Nitro Sport would be the lighter truck so in practice probably not an issue.