Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Do volcano's have weak shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:09 PM
boostnm3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do volcano's have weak shocks???

Just came from outside driving the volcano a bit. It kept pulling to the left so i stopped it to check it. When looking at it, i could see that 1 of the shocks on the left front side was bent. The fork in the center was bent and wouldnt let the shock move. Is there any better shocks to put on it or is stock about it? I have the s30. I dont think it has any aluminum parts. Also, it seems as thought the the throttle sticks when you first use it and let off. It wants to keep going unless i hit the brake, then it idles down again and stays there till i hit the gas again. I checked the idle screw and have it set right. I played with it and adjusted it till it wouldnt die when i hit the brakes. Is there something else that could cause this?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 PM
mdgiebel

Default RE: Do volcano's have weak shocks???

check your throttle trim adjustment on your remote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:50 AM
firstrc
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah they are garbage. Mine ane everyone I know of said they leak almost right away and bend easily.
Switch to these: http://server.sohouniverse.net/~himo...&=SID#MOREINFO
You will be very happy with them. They are much better and adjustable to!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78566.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1101506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49645.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1101507  
Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 PM
boostnm3

ORIGINAL: mdgiebel

check your throttle trim adjustment on your remote

throttle trim is in the center. it will idle low for a few seconds after releasing the break then the idle goes up again.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:51 PM
boostnm3

ORIGINAL: firstrc

Yeah they are garbage. Mine ane everyone I know of said they leak almost right away and bend easily.
Switch to these: http://server.sohouniverse.net/~himo...&=SID#MOREINFO
You will be very happy with them. They are much better and adjustable to!

Good, was hoping i didnt do something. Well those look nice, but found out that tmaxx shocks work. You can get 8 for $25 so i think i might go that route. They should be stronger
Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 PM
perhamrocks

yes they definately are
Old 01-02-2009, 09:23 PM
firstrc

Yes they will fit and are stronger than what you have. But I believe they are a good bit larger in diameter and have some fitment issues on the side by side mounting of the volcano. I think 4 of those fit but 8 is a problem.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 PM
perhamrocks

all eight fit but, one likes to bind a little on the battery and reciever box. That can be fixed by taking out the screw on the back end of the battery box and grinding it down all the way flush to the edge of the box. Then take a 2 1/2" bolt a nut and a couple of washers and drill a hole as far back as possible (mine is a bit less then a 1/4" from the end of the box) on the battery box.
Buying bigger screws about 3*20 mm or somwhere around that area will also help then you can use the spacers included, but it will work with all of the included parts no extras needed.

edit: These shocks will withstand the biggest jumps, this is good, but you tend to bounce around a bit more because it is so stiff. You can just use four shocks and add some of the provided spacers if you want a little smoother ride.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 PM
firstrc

Yup I that is exactly what I thought I remembered about them!
Sounds like you have a decision to make now.
Cheaper with a little custom fab or more money and a direct "bolt on" fix.

That's part of the fun of this hobby... 5 guys buy the same car and in 5 months they look like 5 totally dif cars! LOL
Old 01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
chevyderek72

no get the big bore shocks, i have them and they are amazing. so much better than stock
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 PM
mdgiebel

http://cgi.ebay.com/8Pcs-Shock-Dampe...3A2%7C294%3A50 does anyone think that these will work on the volcano im not sure what exactly what to look at for fitment thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 07:45 PM
perhamrocks

the should fit because i have t-maxx shocks on mine, and anything will fit with a little modding
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 PM
mdgiebel

ok i was mostly worried about the diaphram or whatever those are called that stick on of them. I heard that those are good to have on a shock what do you think?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
perhamrocks

with the price of those shocks i wouldn't be suprised if they were just for looks, but i haven't a clue
Old 01-21-2009, 08:16 PM
mdgiebel

well i really dont know good one im new to this hobby so im throwing straws right now. I just know that i have ran about 10 tanks of fuel now and every single shock has leaked ALL oil and several are bent lol
Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 PM
rclynx

The T-Max aluminum upgrade shocks are a good replacement. [&o]
Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 AM
chevyderek72

Like i said i would go with redcats big bore shocks. Its 30 bucks for a great set of shocks that work great. Before the shocks were real bad, didnt hold oil, and the springs were real loose. So i put shock spacers on them, but when the oil leaks out, it makes it real bouncy, there isnt oil in there to slow down the shaft. There is a guy by me that is a dealer for redcat and he said he rebuilds them and they work great. But i just got the big bore and they work real good. Threaded shock bodies and stuff. I'd check em out, if you can get a good deal on something else then cool, but with those you posted your gonna spend twice as much for the same thing basically. but thats just my opinion
Old 01-22-2009, 10:07 AM
bkfamily1

I put the stock TMaxx shocks on my Volcano (aka Viper). I bought them on ebay similar to this [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-T-MAXX-2-5-4910-3-3-15-SHOCKS-GRAY-8-COMPLETE-E_W0QQitemZ260349653007QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Co ntrol_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260349653007&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50]item 260349653007[/link] where you can get a complete set of 8 for $30-35. Check out this thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7371275]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7371275[/link] where I was given good advice on the use of the TMaxx shocks. There are good pics of the shock mounting and mods. You do have to make a couple of minor modifications, but they are pretty simple. Basically, you have to take care of the radio case cover screw, get some longer screws for attaching the shocks and play with spacing them where they are mounted to avoid interference. I have had the TMaxx shocks on for almost a year, and I have yet to get a leak or bend a shaft. They are stiffer as someone commented, but I like it that way so the truck does not bottom out when jumping. Check the video link in that thread to see how they do in the air. Regarding the "clips," they are preload spacers. My understanding is that they are used to adjust ride height. Traxxas has some pretty good info about tuning the suspension. I also have a Jato, and the manual explains shock adjustments including spring rates, preload and upper and lower mounting positions. Check pages 35 and 36 of the [link=http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/5510_manual.pdf]Jato manual[/link]. If you are interested, there is also info on other adjustments including camber, caster, toe, roll center, camber gain, etc in the same section and later in the advanced tuning section of the manual.

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 AM
bkfamily1

I forgot to mention that I would be a bit cautious about any big bore shocks. The TMaxx shocks are a bigger bore than the stock Volcano shocks. They fit, but it is a bit tight where they pass through the front upper A arms and between the radio case and rear A arms. I would think anything bigger (like the Traxxas big bore shocks, would be even tighter. Admittedly, I have not tried that, but I would be careful.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:25 AM
chevyderek72

No i got em on right now, redcats sells em.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 AM
bkfamily1

I am sure you can put shocks on that are a little bigger than the stock shocks. As I mentioned, the stock TMaxx shocks are larger than the original Redcat shocks. But they are also pretty tight. I would be cautious about putting anything bigger than the stock TMaxx shocks like, for example, TMaxx big bore shocks which I assume are even bigger than the stock TMaxx shocks. Since the stock Redcats are smaller than the stock TMaxx, it may be that the Redcat big bore shocks are the same as the TMaxx stocks and therefore fit.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:35 PM
perhamrocks

no the reason the redcats big bore shocks fit is because there so big that you only need to use 4 so you don't have to worry about the battery box or front arms
Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM
chevyderek72

exactly. They work great, it allows it to sit below full extension, so if i go in a rut the wheel can drop, but still have tons to compress. Unlike the stock setup. And they are adjustable so you can put exactly how much preload you want.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28667.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1117519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39797.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1117520