Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New to Nitro Landslide Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:34 PM
HardcoreNinja69
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Nitro Landslide Issues!

I just got this on the 10th. Just got finished braking it in and this thing has already broke down on me. The pull start already snapped on me...didn't even tug it too far or too hard...at least I don't think. I am new to the world of Nitro so I'm sure I will make some rookie mistakes along the way. I was able to get the pull start repaired. Then the grub screw must have came look on the brake lever....that thing is history. Went to the hobby shop and replaced it. The next day I was outside for about 2 mins and I noticed the front tires weren't moving. Turned out after some trouble shooting and an evaluation of how it worked it was just another loose grub screw to the dogbone from the tranny to the front differential. Now I finally thought it was gonna be time to have more than 5 mins of fun...wrong! On the engine side of the spur gear it looks like it melted right into the gear untill it would no long turn the tires. I don't get it. Did I do something wrong and if so what so I can avoid doing it again?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28369.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1110995  
Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Jason535

Default RE: New to Nitro Landslide Issues!

use loc-tite-blue on all the grub and screws that go into metal. did you check the mess gear before you ran it. for what ever reason they dont come to alinged well. Ive had my volcano s30 since december 20 and have even got to drive it yet.

although i have completely disasembled it and replaced the spur gear and motor mounts. i got it tuned yesterday and the front tire hub spun out the center of the rim. so now i have to buy new rims. theres alot they dont tell you when you buy these, however since im stuck with it I'll make the best of it and do lots of upgrades.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 PM
HardcoreNinja69

Yeah the mesh checked out and I was a little gun shy on disassembling things since I don't have any previous experience. I just used loc-tite on the motor to the body plate and few other areas I heard were key. I have since been locking things down as I have been forced to tear into it. I still don't understand why it would eat up this gear like this from the side. You think this would be covered under warranty? Anybody know if there is a metal spur gear I can replace this with?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:03 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Mesh is not your issue, as an indicator of mesh problem is melted teeth, not a melted center. You most likely did not tighten down on the center enough, thus your spur slipping in the center like that and melting. (If mesh is your problem, you meshed it so tight that the pinion and spur weer locked together and could not even rotate, but I do not think that is even possible to get such a mesh like this in ANY RC).

As for warranty? No, this is not a warranty item because plastic spurs are disposable and meant to be destrouyd, it is considered a sacrifice part by HSP. But fortunately, they are vey very cheap. Just ask RedCat and order more (order at least 10 spare, that is how cheap they are)
Old 01-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Jason535

hopefully they will get some up grades for these soon. do you guys know if the traxxas slasher 2.2 tires and rims will fit the volcano[8D]
Old 01-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Jason535

Redcat should have a metal spur gear set they do for the volcano.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Brett185

Check out RPM wheels. Most 2.2 wheels with a 12mm hex will fit.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:30 AM
kjord97

I don't think I have seen to many people able to run there Landslides yet. I have a new landslide, I have had it in house nice Nov 15th. The car has less than 2 mins of run time, never on the ground. I was breaking in the engine when the spur gear melted, then the steering survo linkage decided to drop all of the screws, so now no steering and the front 2 wheels fell off, so no more wheel nuts. Like I said, all I did was place it on a box to rasie the frame and have the wheels freespin while I broke in the motor with 3 tanks of gas. Working with RedCat and finding out the Spur gear is back orderd, I finally got some parts last week. Now I am a 2 month owner of a new $300 trcuk and still need to disassemble it. I guess they need to place a sticker on the box that says,

Not RTR instead of RTR. Did not know I had to disassemble the entire care to pieces and loctite everything, did not know you had to remove the engine and adjust the spur alignment, did not know the drive train is weak and you have to get an upgrade kit for it to even work, did not know this car slings dog bones like crazy, did not know a 4x4 truck that hits a bump will break front end suspenion pieces.

I have been into RC trucks and cars for about 11 years now, this is my first Nitro, and let me tell you, as soon as I find someone to buy this landslide with no hours, I will be going back to electric. I will also never but RTR again, I love building from Kits.

By the way, anyone know a cheap place online to buy fuel, if you can buy it online. Both of my local RC stores closed and went out of business on the same day, Dec 6th. I manged to get 1 gal of fuel, it was $73. Kind of ridiculous.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Brett185

I need to retract my statement above about the RPM wheels and the 12mm hex. I was thinking you were talking about the volcano. Sorry.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Jason535

I was Volcano S30
Old 01-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Brett185

Oh ok, then what I said above still stands.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:50 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: kjord97

I don't think I have seen to many people able to run there Landslides yet. I have a new landslide, I have had it in house nice Nov 15th. The car has less than 2 mins of run time, never on the ground. I was breaking in the engine when the spur gear melted, then the steering survo linkage decided to drop all of the screws, so now no steering and the front 2 wheels fell off, so no more wheel nuts. Like I said, all I did was place it on a box to rasie the frame and have the wheels freespin while I broke in the motor with 3 tanks of gas. Working with RedCat and finding out the Spur gear is back orderd, I finally got some parts last week. Now I am a 2 month owner of a new $300 trcuk and still need to disassemble it. I guess they need to place a sticker on the box that says,

Not RTR instead of RTR. Did not know I had to disassemble the entire care to pieces and loctite everything, did not know you had to remove the engine and adjust the spur alignment, did not know the drive train is weak and you have to get an upgrade kit for it to even work, did not know this car slings dog bones like crazy, did not know a 4x4 truck that hits a bump will break front end suspenion pieces.

I have been into RC trucks and cars for about 11 years now, this is my first Nitro, and let me tell you, as soon as I find someone to buy this landslide with no hours, I will be going back to electric. I will also never but RTR again, I love building from Kits.
Sorry to hear your nitro experience was a bummer. But bear in mind that the Landslide is part of the ultralight series, so the parts are much thinner and amaller so a small block can power this larger size truck while not adding onto the weight of the truck.

There are other nitro trucks elsewhere that are much more robust and will not break as easily, just check them out and read up on them. Trust me, people do crazy things with them and yes they break, but they have to take much harder hits to actually break. Check them out and read up on them and you will see some of the crazy stuff these trucks can do.

What I'm saying is please dont give up on nitro because of this one experience.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:58 AM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: kjord97

Sorry to hear your nitro experience was a bummer. But bear in mind that the Landslide is part of the ultralight series, so the parts are much thinner and amaller so a small block can power this larger size truck while not adding onto the weight of the truck.

There are other nitro trucks elsewhere that are much more robust and will not break as easily, just check them out and read up on them. Trust me, people do crazy things with them and yes they break, but they have to take much harder hits to actually break. Check them out and read up on them and you will see some of the crazy stuff these trucks can do.

What I'm saying is please dont give up on nitro because of this one experience.

well put Jim.......KJ I for one like to disassymble my rc's and put new oil in the diff's and shocks (not all have fluids and even if they did I like to know what it is)....also alot of the time they need a lil tinkering like alligning the throttle/brake linkages....basically rtr is throwing in the radio gear and an engine so you dont need to purchase it seperatly... I check my cars over pretty good before they even get a sniff of nitro...my last 2 purchases everything was tight and pretty close to runnable allignment...but I still tore em down to put shock and diff oil in..lol

Jim was also correct that you need to bear in mind its an ultralite...NOT a true 1/8th.....a true 1/8th will have metal gears and are much more durable....I have a 1/8th buggy that has been 12ft+ in the air numorous times landing on flat HARD ground and have only stripped out diff gears due to landing on the throttle...and no its not an ultralite....
Old 01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
perhamrocks

These nitros are very durable, but it looks like the landslide needs a few tweeks hear and there just because it is so new. I also have the volcan and it is very durable with a few minor upgrades, the end of the movie tells what upgrades i have. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeCOK9lH0AI&feature=channel]Volcano jumping[/link] The only thing i broke was a rim and that was at the end of the movie and you'll see why
Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 AM
1972roadrunner

i bought a landslide as well. the brake disc stripped in the center after the 1st tank of figure 8 driving, and i ran into the house as a result breaking the suspension. i fixxed it so the suspension would stay, and ran it some more. then something in the trans let go...the gears inside are fine, but there's a small hex piece between the big gears in the center gear box, and it's like a one-way bearing of some sort. well...supposed to be anyhow. anyone else run into the same problem with this goofy little piece? it's on the same shaft as the 2nd gear centrifugal clutch (not sure what it's really called), between the 2 gears.

i originally wanted an HPI Savage XL, but couldn't afford it and saw this one which had an appealing price. i don't regret my purchase, but i'll be spending about the same amount of money in the long run after i replace a lot of the trucks components with aluminum. later i have hopes of putting an HPI 3speed and K5.9 engine on the truck.

oh, another question, about brakes. anyone know of a way i can put an HPI Dual stainless disc brake setup on my landslide? i reckon all i need is a hex hub/cup for the center of the disc's, but have been unable to locate one. anyone else do any kind of brake modification? is there a steel disc available from redcat?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:34 AM
HardcoreNinja69

I was thinking of "upgrading" to Traxxas waterproof servos. Here is the thing though. There are only 2 that I am aware of out there and are only 80 and 125 oz. Would a 125oz servo be strong enough to run my steering? According to Redcats website my throttle servo is 3kg and my steering is 9kg. That said I did the conversions and my steering servo is said to be almost 3 times stronger. Am I getting bad information from somewhere?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:59 AM
cadillac98

i feel special now..i have the landslide also..even tho its been in the "shop" longer than i have run it, it seems like i've ran mine more than alot of folks..but anyway, ive been thru a spur gear, rear dogbones and front uppers...i guess u get what u pay for...
Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 PM
perhamrocks

i should realy feel special then, because i got through break in with no problems then i got it out on the track for a while and no problems until i landed badly and stripped a spur gear, then once i ordered parts i put it back together and now it's still running fine
and for you 1972 roadrunner yes that hex is a one way bearing, make sure you put it in correctly or your truck won't go anywhere unless you push it.
i don't understand what you mean about your break disk stripping, there's no way you coul have worn it down that quick unless if you had the hex bolts too tight that hold the metal brake pads and disc in place, but then your breaks should have been locked up the whole time and you would have noticed that.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:37 PM
1972roadrunner

i'm very mechanically inclined, this is the first nitro i've messed with. i'm not familiar with some terms in the nitro world so bear with me.

the one-way bearing in question was never removed untill after it broke and the truck didn't go anywhere. the plastic inside that held the needle bearings in place was very brittle and broke while driving the truck around. i need a new one, or some way to remedy the problem. have you had any problems with this piece in question??

the center of the fiberglass disc is no longer a D shape, it's stripped so it doesn't grab the drivetrain. i was driving on concrete when it did it. thats why i want a steel one with pads between the steel 'caliper' looking pieces.

Thanks for your time!
Old 01-18-2009, 05:48 PM
perhamrocks

no i haven't had problems with my one way bearing yet
and i understand you now about it being stripped you must have really slammed on them brakes at high speed.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 AM
1972roadrunner

a car was coming.