Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

still beating on the boys volcanos, but having issues with another rc

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

still beating on the boys volcanos, but having issues with another rc

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:22 PM
IMPATIENT 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still beating on the boys volcanos, but having issues with another rc

i've got a rapida with a vertex 18 that i just can't keep runnin, driving me nutssssss[:-] i can start it, start to drive it and when i let outta the throttle it just dies. nothing is locked up, the hsn is 2 1/2 turns out, the lsn is flush, have about 1mm off throttle opening. how much voltage should be coming outta the glow plug ignitor? charger charges at 4.5 volts, says 3volts on the plug in, and fully charged the ignitor only has 1.3-1.5volts goin to the glow plug, beginnin to think its gone bad. regardless once i get the vertex started, i just can't keep it runnin more than 10-20seconds. if i let it idle, it'd just die suddenly, doesn't fade away, just dies quikly.

the twins volcanos have had a gallon and a 1/2 thru each 1 of them and they're still oe, no parts have been broken or changed out other than doin the basic mods suggested before breakin, and of course the rotostarts(which i should've bought for this rapida with the vertex ) still runnin oe spur gears, oe bells. hell i bought tooooo many spare parts, i wish they'd break something
Old 01-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Redcat Nick

Default RE: still beating on the boys volcanos, but having issues with another rc

Try leaning out your lsn. What is happening is the low end is so rich that the carb is loading up with fuel and when you get on the throttle you flood the engine. lean it out 1/2 turn and see what that does. If it does the same thing try leaning it out little by little until you get nice crisp throttle responce
Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
IMPATIENT 1

Default RE: still beating on the boys volcanos, but having issues with another rc

ORIGINAL: Redcat Nick

Try leaning out your lsn. What is happening is the low end is so rich that the carb is loading up with fuel and when you get on the throttle you flood the engine. lean it out 1/2 turn and see what that does. If it does the same thing try leaning it out little by little until you get nice crisp throttle responce
thanx nick, i'll try that. i'm gonna swap out the clutch tonite for giggles as well. when i try the breaks now, the clutch bell won't slip like it should, which pulls the motor to dead guess its clutch time, does that make sense?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Redcat Nick

Yeah it makes sense. I think what happened was your clutch spring broke. but I still think your to rich on the lsn. But i would fix the clutch then tune.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 PM
IMPATIENT 1

Yeah it makes sense. I think what happened was your clutch spring broke. but I still think your to rich on the lsn. But i would fix the clutch then tune.
it sure acts as if the clutch just won't slip with the breaks on, as soon as you get into the breaks, you hear the motor pull wayyy down, then couple seconds later it just dies while on breaks. i just let it sit beside me runnin for about 30seconds with a high idle(used the remote trim to idle up) and off the ground, it still died.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Redcat Nick

Did you lean out the lsn? Your clutch might be stuck open or perhaps is is stuck on the e-clip.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
IMPATIENT 1

Did you lean out the lsn? Your clutch might be stuck open or perhaps is is stuck on the e-clip.
yeah, i leaned it out a bit, its prob 1 full turn down from flush now. its doin alot better. i just ran a tank full thru it and it did fine, i filled it up to play some more and it starts easy, but now its wanting to die on the brakes again, it idle on brakes fine thru the 1st tank and i haven't changed anything, same needle settings and fuel. think my next rc will be on gas
Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Redcat Nick

Did you mess with the clutch any? also your idle might be a bit to low and your throttle trim might be a little high.

Here is a good way to check it:

Remove the air filter.
And apply the brakes and let go back to the neutral position
If when you are applying the brakes the carb closes from where it is at idle then you need to raise your idle on the carb.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:16 AM
chevyderek72

I found your problem, its a himoto hahaha. Did you change the cluth shoes an spring? It sound like your spring is broke. that or your idle is too low.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 AM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: tihstae

I found your problem, its a himoto hahaha.
HAHAHA! Very funny there buddy.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:32 AM
IMPATIENT 1

Did you mess with the clutch any? also your idle might be a bit to low and your throttle trim might be a little high.

Here is a good way to check it:

Remove the air filter.
And apply the brakes and let go back to the neutral position
If when you are applying the brakes the carb closes from where it is at idle then you need to raise your idle on the carb.

ya know i think yall are onto something with it being idle'd to low, i did idle it down a bit with the idle screw before the 2nd tank i'll idle it up a bit this evening.

well 1 of my sons finally broke something, nothing major. i leaned his out some and it made a huge difference in wot passes. well, he was bookin along at wot , hit a mole mound , endo'd about 30000 times and finally came to rest pretty hard. now we've got a throttle/brake servo that don't work. nothing else broke. i tried swapping outputs on the receiver to see if it was the remote, but i could move the steering with the trigger, so radios are still good, just a crapped out servo. weird how it went out during a bad crash, not sure how anything could've hit it and its not like it took the shock from the frt wheel moving side to side or anything. oh well, no biggie.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:35 AM
IMPATIENT 1

I found your problem, its a himoto hahaha. Did you change the cluth shoes an spring? It sound like your spring is broke. that or your idle is too low.
hey, i got it for 90 bucks delivered n.i.b. couldn't pass up a sweet deal like that, its worth that in spare parts for the boys volcanos
Old 01-23-2009, 01:27 AM
chevyderek72

ORIGINAL: jpilkinton

I found your problem, its a himoto hahaha.
HAHAHA! Very funny there buddy.

Haha you like that? Naw im just bustin your chops.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:29 AM
chevyderek72

ORIGINAL: IMPATIENT 1

hey, i got it for 90 bucks delivered n.i.b. couldn't pass up a sweet deal like that, its worth that in spare parts for the boys volcanos
ooo nice how did you come about that?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 AM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: IMPATIENT 1

ooo nice how did you come about that?
was just bored and looking thru ebay nitro cars, someone had gotten it for a present and didn't want anything to do with it, he started his bidding at 50bucks no reserve, i punched in 80bucks and never thought about it again, ended up winning it for 77 plus shipping box had never been open
Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

That was one heck of a deal.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:38 PM
chevyderek72

Wow, even for a himoto thats cheap! Haha just playin [sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-23-2009, 03:14 PM
jpilkinton

Wow, even for a himoto thats cheap! Haha just playin [sm=lol.gif]
LOL!
That was cheap......price that is.......
Old 01-23-2009, 03:46 PM
IMPATIENT 1

lol its not a bad rc, looks like a redcat under the body to me. be nice if they'd put some better wheels on it, bout have these shreded from doin donuts i'm a gm master tech at a gm dealership, there's lil donuts all over the lot[>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24795.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1117547  
Old 01-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Brett185

Awesome man! Post some vids!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:39 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: Brett185

Awesome man! Post some vids!
i've never been able to post vids to the web, always email them to a bud, then they host em for me. i've tried a million times but at home we've got nothing but dialup, takes 1hr to upload a 5minute vid[:@] haven't even taken any video since i sold the dragboat and stopped racing in nov..
http://media.putfile.com/tomepass
http://media.putfile.com/tomepass2

i'll start taking the camera when we bash , wish i'd got that volcano wreck of my son's the other day. it was highlight reel worthy have a miss vegas u-18 nitro hydro on its way from tower to keep me busy at the lake and videos are a huge tuning tool with any boat , be it fullsize or rc. prob hack it up but i wanna try something from the fullsize dragboat world on a miss vegas, see if it pans out. i want to dragrace it, not go in circles.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Brett185

Wow, I din't know dial up still even existed...lol...just kiddin man. That's cool. I've been meaning to get some vids up myself, but I gotta talk the g/f into going outside in the cold to do the camera work. She freakin hates cold weather. And when I'm at my buds house when we're bashing, I never remember to bring the camera, or my g/f has it in her purse. One of these days I'll get it done.....but I am waiting on the next redcat jump contest....I've already got it planned out.....hee hee.....
Old 01-26-2009, 09:43 AM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: Brett185

Wow, I din't know dial up still even existed...lol...just kiddin man. That's cool. I've been meaning to get some vids up myself, but I gotta talk the g/f into going outside in the cold to do the camera work. She freakin hates cold weather. And when I'm at my buds house when we're bashing, I never remember to bring the camera, or my g/f has it in her purse. One of these days I'll get it done.....but I am waiting on the next redcat jump contest....I've already got it planned out.....hee hee.....
yeah, dialup suxxxxx. i live in the country and there's no dsl or highspeed available out there. i can get hughes net satelite internet but its 80bucks a month
Old 01-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Brett185

Does a Verizon Wireless cell phone pick up out there? If it does, you can get a broadband card with them. I have one for my laptop and it's just about as fast a DSL. I love it. Plus it goes where I go. I can be driving down the road if I wanted to and still be on the internet. It's about $60 a month, but it's worth it for the portability. They have a lower cost plan too that doesn't give you as many MB, but I've never even used 10% of the MB they give me a month, and I'm on the internet pretty much all day. It's worth looking into.