Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

trouble with transmiter

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:31 PM
bghouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble with transmiter

i have a valcano, and when driving it the servos go crazy. they will not respond to the transmiter for for a few seconds then it will work fine for a few seconds and so on. what could the problem be.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:41 PM
IMPATIENT 1

Default RE: trouble with transmiter

may have the same frequency in the area interfering with your rc, try changing the crystals to a lower freq..
Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 PM
el_tonto

Make sure you've got decent brand batteries in the receiver - cheapies might not drive servos with enough grunt, so the power dips and the receiver goes a bit wonky. Make sure that your receiver aerial isn't damaged or kinked - kinks might mean the wire inside the insulation is broken so the reception is poor. And make sure the receiver aerial is properly extended through the body shell - winding the aerial around under the body shell (for aesthetics) will result in poor reception.

Lastly do you have an FM radio set or AM radio set? the Redcat FMs had a recall a while back for glitchy behavior.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM
new_2_rczayka

I have a similar problem! I have a Volcano SV. I guess I could be having junky rechargebles in the receiver box! By the way does Redcat recommend rechargable or not? One day my Volcano SV would drive just fine and respond to the radio commands just fine. I also noticed when the engine is not running, it would respond well to the commands, but once I start the engine, the servo would send weird signals and the vehicle would turn randomly, if I pressed acceleration trigger, it would not respond, but in 3-4 seconds it would rev like crazy! Exactly, when not engine is not running, everything seems to be fine, but when running, it is a bad situation. I am afraid to drive it and cause damage to the vehicle if it looses control!

Also, what is wrong with this picture: when I touch the cooling head of the vehicle with a glow plug igniter, all of a sudden the steering servo would jigger and turn the wheels! Same thing for the acceleration servo, it would jigger, too. If I touch with the antenna of the remote, same thing happens. Do you think that the glow plug igniter is causing disturbances in frequencies and making these troubles?

thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 05:46 PM
spongeyguy

My servos almost always move a little when I am putting on the glow plug igniter, it happens on both vehicles I have but it doesn't seem to bother anything so I just leave it be. The first day I had my Landslide it seemed to have interference like that. Once I put new batteries in and put my failsafe on it corrected and I have not had the issues since
Old 03-19-2009, 06:27 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also make sure your crystals are good an tight...I use rechargeable batteries on everything....that wont be your issue...just need to always bake sure you have good batteries on these things
Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: bghouse

i have a valcano, and when driving it the servos go crazy. they will not respond to the transmiter for for a few seconds then it will work fine for a few seconds and so on. what could the problem be.
the receiver batteries are weak or not all connecting for full voltage. make sure the contact points are clean. If they get wet from puddles or condensation it can cause problems. Also you can use Hump packs. If using AA's wrap elastic band around the pack .
Old 03-20-2009, 07:04 AM
robriley

yep i had the same problem with my volcano.
the steering and throttle servos would jitter on their own without the engine running.
the problem turned out to be cheap batteries in the receiver box.
when i first got mine going, the only batteries that we had here were some generic AA's that my wife bought for some of the kids toys.
i changed those batteries out for a set of energizer 3400 mah rechargelables, and those put an end to the jitters.
I think the generic batteries don't have enough juice or something even tho they were brand new.
I have also upgraded to a futaba magnum sport radio and receiver...i never even tried the radio and receiver that came with the truck.
my truck has the stock servos and they work fine with good, strong fully charged batteries.
I do plan on upgrading the servos later on down the road. i already have a set of brand new tamiya servos that came with the new radio and receiver..i just have to take the time to put them in.