Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Big Bore shocks for a Big Block upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Big Bore shocks for a Big Block upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
k_fred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bore shocks for a Big Block upgrade

Hey Guys,

I am soon upgrading my Volcano to a big block beast. I am installing a Hyper .21 8-port and want to upgrade my stock plastic shocks with this new engine install.

Normally, without hesitation, I would just go right ahead and purchase the T-Maxx set of red's on eBay; however, with this new engine, I will be strapped for room in the rear suspension area after the rear exhaust pipe is mounted. That being said, I want to install big bore shocks, big enough that only 4 will be needed to suspend the entire truck, i.e. one shaft for each wheel.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I saw photos from uhoo_01's big block Tsunami with GST 7.7 shocks, but it looked like he had fabricated a custom shock mount plate for them to fit. I don't want to do any custom work to the shock mounting of the Volcano (aside from replace screws to fit the shocks).

Any ideas, anyone? Has anyone done this before and is anyone currently running a 4 shock setup on their RC's? and, Does anyone have any insight into the weight discrepancy from a big block upgrade, and how this discrepancy will affect the suspension system?

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

-Kurt
Old 02-06-2009, 01:42 PM
perhamrocks

Default RE: Big Bore shocks for a Big Block upgrade

redcat now has some big bore adjustable shocks for the volcano so check that out, i think there $35 for all 4
Old 02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
k_fred

Perham,

Thanks, pal. I appreciate the recommendation. By any chance, would you happen to know the model number for those shocks? And will 4 shocks suffice, or will I need to install all 8?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

You could also look at the Trinigy shocks, they're a little on the pricy side, but 4 will be more than enough for a volcano pretty much no matter how big an engine you put on. I myself am looking at possibly getting a set up for my tsunami.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Brett185

I'm sorry, I miss spelled it, I meant Integy.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:38 PM
k_fred

Brett,

Thanks for the advice. Those are a little bit on the pricey side, but I will def. take them into consideration.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:17 PM
chevyderek72

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8024060

There is the post on the big bore shocks from redcat. They work really good, and you only need 4 of em
Old 02-06-2009, 04:38 PM
k_fred

Thanks for the link, dude! And thanks to RedCat Nick for including the link, in the big bore thread, to the item on RedCat's site.

Does anyone else have any other recommendations?

Has anyone used any shocks that aren't from RedCat or TMaxx trucks?

I just want to get a good survey of all the options for shocks for the Volcano and try to consolidate this information into this thread, specific to upgrading to a big block on the Volcano.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:43 PM
SIRCC

if you are upgrading to a 21 motor standard threaded shocks will do the trick
Old 02-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Brett185

Are those redcat big bores the same as their regular aluminum shocks? Like the ones that came on my tsunami ultrawide? Cause if they are, they aren't worth a crap, I've got 8 of them sitting in my tool box, none will hold shock oil for any length of time, so I've got the stock T-maxx shocks on now, and you talk about a world of difference. But if they're different than their standard aluminum, they might be worth looking into.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:39 PM
perhamrocks

no they are different ones brett
Old 02-06-2009, 10:04 PM
chevyderek72

they are basically the ones from the 1/8th scale ultralites. So they are meant for the ultralite. and the ultralite with the .21 when they get it. So if it works with them it will deff work with the 1/10th. Ive got em and i like em a lot
Old 02-09-2009, 10:18 PM
7M

I'm using the exact same engine you are going to use. For shocks I just used Duratrax Evader coilover shocks and upgraded them with stiff blue T-Maxx springs and 70wt silicone shock fluid. It is more than stiff enough for a stock Volcano, or one with a big-block in your case.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: 7M

I'm using the exact same engine you are going to use. For shocks I just used Duratrax Evader coilover shocks and upgraded them with stiff blue T-Maxx springs and 70wt silicone shock fluid. It is more than stiff enough for a stock Volcano, or one with a big-block in your case.
Man I cant get away with that heavy of a shock oil. If you do some serious bashing I just bend the shafts of blow the caps off I run 20 or 30w [sm=shades_smile.gif]