Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

First day Volcano SV

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:14 PM
bentuhley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First day Volcano SV

My girlfriend bought me a Volcano 530 on ebay. The first day having it i started to get it set up and went to set my gear mesh. As i started to take out the screws underneath the engine the first screw broke before even begining to back out. Will it be harmfull to just leave that screw there and leave it secured by the other 3 screws? Other wise will Red Cat replace the engine it was brand new. I dont have a problem leaving it like this as long as it wont cause any harm. This picture should give a clearer understanding.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41942.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1128910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58277.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1128911  
Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: First day Volcano SV

That's just broke off in the engine mount, you should be able to use a back out tool that you can get at a hardware store and get it out, but it has nothing to do with the engine itself. The engine just sits on the two engine mounts. You could try running it with just 3 screws, but it might cause the engine to shift and therefore causing you to strip a spur gear, then again, you might be able to run it for weeks and not have any problems. If you don't want to mess with trying to get it out, just order some more engine mounts, there not expensive. They're only like $4 on rufaster.com.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 PM
SIRCC

remove the other three screws, then remove the motor mount and replace them or one side. before you re-install them grease them up.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:32 PM
bentuhley

Thanks guys appreciate the fast responses! Its my first car cant wait to get it out and run it... Just want to make sure everything is setup perfect before i run it. Don't want to ruin anything before i get to enjoy it.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
chevyderek72

what i do when i strip it or break the head off the mounts is take all the other ones off. Because its always that one screw lol. And then take some pliers and try to grab it and turn it out. Redcat should take care of you if not, then let me know and ill see if i can help you out. But ask nick or something first
Old 02-06-2009, 10:21 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: SIRCC

remove the other three screws, then remove the motor mount and replace them or one side. before you re-install them grease them up.
Not to be stepping on your toes Bro but those screws need to be clean, dry and you need to use Blue Loctite or they will back out and you will loose your gear mesh due to the high vibration of the engine
Old 02-07-2009, 01:03 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: bentuhley

My girlfriend bought me a Volcano 530 on ebay. The first day having it i started to get it set up and went to set my gear mesh. As i started to take out the screws underneath the engine the first screw broke before even begining to back out. Will it be harmfull to just leave that screw there and leave it secured by the other 3 screws? Other wise will Red Cat replace the engine it was brand new. I dont have a problem leaving it like this as long as it wont cause any harm. This picture should give a clearer understanding.
That is not good; do this: take off the other screws and remove the engine with mount.
If you can, try to extract the screw with a screw extractor http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=Taps+%26+Dies

But unfortunately, I dont know if there are extractors small enough for our hobby screws.

If you are able to get the broken screw out, go to your hobby store and buy hex head screws to replace the phillips head screws. The hex heads will secure better and will be easier to extract, and they are less prone to stripping.

Also, while you are at the hobby store, buy some tread lock (like loc tite). You always want to loc-tite the engine mount screws, but take care not to put on too much, in you case, too much loc-tite might have been the cause why you twisted off the head of the screw that you broke.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:03 AM
madmax93

Yes hex heads are great to use when you can.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:20 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Absolutely! They are really a must for the engine mounts, why RedCat chose phillips head instad of asking HSP to install hex heads, IDK.

But to get hex heads, just measure up the screw once you get it off the engine mount, or look in the manual for the description of the screw, and go to the local RC store an buy hex head screws of the very same size. If they are metric, you can buy Traxxas screws with hex heads. If they are inches, you can buy Associated screws with hex heads.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:32 PM
perhamrocks

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: bentuhley

That is not good; do this: take off the other screws and remove the engine with mount.
If you can, try to extract the screw with a screw extractor http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=Taps+%26+Dies

But unfortunately, I dont know if there are extractors small enough for our hobby screws.

If you are able to get the broken screw out, go to your hobby store and buy hex head screws to replace the phillips head screws. The hex heads will secure better and will be easier to extract, and they are less prone to stripping.

Also, while you are at the hobby store, buy some tread lock (like loc tite). You always want to loc-tite the engine mount screws, but take care not to put on too much, in you case, too much loc-tite might have been the cause why you twisted off the head of the screw that you broke.
just to clarify this for the guy, make sure it's blue lock-tite and not red, because red will not come off, or atleast not with out some hastle