Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New tires for Vortex EPX Pro

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Squidbait

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires for Vortex EPX Pro

I wasn't really thrilled with the stock tires that come with the Vortex (and I ground them bald in about a week - they really don't like pavement! ) - I thought they looked small compared to the truck, and I just didn't like the knobbies.

I wanted a little more ground clearance too, so I thought I'd try some Losi A/T tires (from their 1/10 desert truck). You can see it sits much higher now (compare the height with the stock wheel/tire in the second photo). Of course now the centre of gravity is higher, so I can't turn quite as sharply on pavement as I could with the stock tires.

One thing I didn't consider was how much these wheels would deform when they're spun up - they probably increase another 1/2" in diameter! [X(] I raised the body up a couple of notches, but I'll probably have to go higher if I want to keep these wheels on - they hit the bod when I bottom out the suspension.

I may have to drop the pinion size too, from stock to a smaller one... after a few runs, the motor is HOT! [X(]

That said, it's now a wheelie-popping, nose-standing, grin-producing truck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47832.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	1237623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95584.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	1237624  
Old 07-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Jamus

Default RE: New tires for Vortex EPX Pro

If only they were a shade shorter, and much narrower. I've always liked the looks of the tread design though. I whole heartedly agree with you, I hate the stock wheels and tires and it is a major turn off for many looking into short course trucks. Your truck looks really cool on the monster side.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Squidbait

Thanks! I liked these tires on the Losi Desert truck, and thought they'd look good on the Vortex.

Truth be told, I really wanted the brushless Volcano, but the LHS was out of stock, so I "settled" for the Vortex. I haven't been disappointed - I suspect the Vortex is quicker than the Volcano... just less ground clearance. I was scooting around on the lawn with the new tires, and no problems at all. They're really sticky on pavement, though... I can do that balanced-on-2-wheeled driving thing if I turn fast enough! I can't wait to see how they handle in the dirt.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM
nubzorz

its a little slower now thos isnt it? i put slash tires on mine and it lost quite a bit of speed
Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 PM
chevyderek72

Ya your gonna have to gear it way down. Your motor shouldnt go over i think its 180. But i stay as low as possible. And i can imagine thats getting prety hott.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:06 PM
nubzorz

200 is usually proper running temp
Old 07-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Redcat Nick

Anything over 180 Starts doing damage to the rotor, anything over 200 can start doing damage to the windings. Proper running temp for a brushless motor is 140-160.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Squidbait

Thanks guys.

Actually, the reason it was running hot was because the bearings were seizing up. I guess I hadn't cleaned it out as well as I thought I had after running in some damp dirt. [sm=red_smile.gif]

A few rounds of cleaner/degreaser followed by a super-light oil spray have cleaned them out well enough. It's running at normal temps now.

I suspect I've probably shortened the motors lifespan, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.