Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 AM
McWolf_101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Mounts

Are the engine mounts that come with the Monsoon XTR compatible with the starter box #70110 or are other engine mounts required?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine Mounts

As lolng as the flywheel is exposed by an oppening on the chassis, it should work. ( if the box your looking at is a universal type)
Old 03-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Mickstix

The engine mounts are fine, but the pull starter (and possibly the back plateof the SH .28 motor) are so low, that it requires spacers, which puts the flywheel out of the reach of starter boxes.. I've read about some getting it to work by removing the pull starter, and I think grinding some off the lower ears of the backplate.. Look back through the "Monsoon Support" thread and I think it's in there..

Here's a couple pix.. In the first one you can see how low the backplate is to the frame.. Not sure how much material you can remove before you get to the "backplate" screws, but I know there recessed up from the pull starter screws some.. And in the other one I highlighted the 4 spacers that come on it stock..

Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 PM
McWolf_101

Thanks alot for the replies guys. By the way Mick, how's it going?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Mickstix

Me or the Monsoon?? Were both doin good! I've not had the Monsoon out in about a week cause I had to tear it down to put on some mud guards.. I ended up having to completely strip the frame, so I could mark and drill/counter sink the mounting holes for the guards.. So I've been taking my time polishing it up andgetting it back together.. Other than that she runs like a beast!

Aint she purrdy!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 PM
McWolf_101

I'm glad to hear that you and 'The Monsoon Beast' are doing well Mick, and yes, that chassis is a beauty. By the way, I think I found something but I'm not sure. Does anyone know if these would provide the desired lowering effect that is required to use the starter box?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77293.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1407661  
Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Mickstix

I dont think the motor mounts are gonna be the problem..(Although if those are for a big block, they'll probably work fine) But the stock motormounts (w/o the spacers) will let ya lower it, but it's the backplate and pull starter that get in the way.. You need a new backplate that doesnt have the starter shaft hole in it, and then ya need to grind on the bottom/back of the engine/backplate, so it can sit down low enough on the chassis to let the starter box get to the flywheel..
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 PM
McWolf_101

Ok, I understand. The reason I ask is beacuse I want to switch to an engine that doesn't use a pull start or roto start, so I'll be changing the back plate.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Mickstix

I got ya.. I dont know why the SH .28 is made that way (with the backplate too low) but some other brands of engine will probably work w/o any mods needed..

Old 03-29-2010, 11:35 PM
McWolf_101

Alrighty then. Thanks alot Mick. You're always a great help. If all goes well and I FINALLY get my vehicle later this year, I'll let you know how much fun my girlfriend and I are having with it.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:38 AM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

Me or the Monsoon?? Were both doin good! I've not had the Monsoon out in about a week cause I had to tear it down to put on some mud guards.. I ended up having to completely strip the frame, so I could mark and drill/counter sink the mounting holes for the guards.. So I've been taking my time polishing it up and getting it back together.. Other than that she runs like a beast!

Aint she purrdy!
MICK WHAT DID YOU DO!!!!! [X(] EHEHeh That Truck was on one piece when it left here.....
Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Mickstix

Dont worry, she's all back together today..

Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a nice ride Mick.....Did you check that place in Deltona?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 PM
McWolf_101

Mick, the Monsoon looks really cool with the dirt guards. Good job man.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Mickstix

Thanks Wolf!! There a tad short (made for a Kyosho ST-RR) but I tried some that were made for the Redcat 1/8buggies and they didnt fit well at all.. These mate up perfectly with the chassis and I couldnt pass em' up since I got em' for a song.. (I bid $3.00 for em' on an ebay auction and actually WON!!)

Billy, thanks!!Ithinkit's one of, ifnot THEbest model Redcat makes!!Andyes I went by "The Pit" and checked it out! Looks pretty cool! There was noone there when I went, but I plan to go back sometime on a weekend and see if there's anyone there bashin'!!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:06 PM
McWolf_101

I'm going to move slightly off-topic and ask if the receiver battery pack for the Rampage and Dune Runner will also work for the Monsoon? I ask because of the higher mAh rating of the 1/5 scale receiver pack.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:45 PM
madmarty

you can use a sportswork .26 on your sh .28. bolts right up. also, you might have to widen the hole where the bump box wheel engages the fly wheel. i have done this to my older monsoon and i love it. no more one way bearing.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Mickstix

Good info to have Marty!! Thanks!

Wolf, as long as it's an rx "hump" pack and made with five  2/3A size cells, it'll fit the Monsoon's battery box.. Look on the outer shrink wrap, it should list what size cells are in the pack..
Old 04-02-2010, 11:13 PM
McWolf_101

Thanks alot Marty for the information on the engine mounts, and Mick for the information on the battery pack. My reason for asking about the receiver pack is related to the connector type, that is, if the receiver pack for the 1/8 scale vehicles has the same type of connector as the 1/5 scale vehicles.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Mickstix

Hmm... Cant help ya there.. I know the Monsoon (and most Redcat's I think)takes a "BEC" type connector.. Hooks the battery upvia the "on/off" switch..(see below)
Note:The Reciever takes a standard "servo" type connector, but the battery hooks to the on/off switch with a BEC connector, then the on/off switch hooks to the reciever with the "servo" style connector.. You could make it work with either, with a little soldering though.. ANyway, below is the BEC connector, that's attached to the battery.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:28 PM
McWolf_101

Yea, I've realised that Redcat seems to favour the BEC connector. I'm just not sure if the connector shown in the picture I'll attach IS a BEC connector as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18200.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	1410554  
Old 04-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Mickstix

Ah, yea I see what ya mean.. Hard to tell from lookin at that? I think it is, but I wouldnt swear to it.. You can always order just a BEC connector "pigtail"and clip the connector from the battery and put on the BEC type, if it comes with a different type? Kurt at URCHobby.com may be able to hook ya up, or I know Tower Hobbies sells em.. The battery takes a "female" BEC connector.. Female BEC pigtail
Note:Also, if you get a Monsoon, the battery holder that comes with it has the BECplug on it, you could scavenge if ya wanted to?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:42 PM
McWolf_101

Once again, thanks alot Mick. In the end, I may just stick to the 1100mAh receiver pack. I am planning to upgrade the steering servo as soon as I can but I believe that 1100mAh should do the job. Just out of curiosity, what receiver pack do you use, and how long does the charge last?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Mickstix

I use the 1100mAh Hump pack as well, and although I've not timed it, I'd say it lasted about an hour total, the last time I charged it? It's only been charged 2x though, and never trickle charged like it should be, so it might last even longer if I ever get a charger that can charge it properly? At the moment I just use an old "peak" nicd charger I have, and charge it at .5 amps.. Took about a 1/2 hour to peak.. But I've read that you should trickle charge a new pack, for like 11 hours @.1 amps to get it to accept maximum charge? (I dont know a whole lot about batteries, butthe short answer is,it lasts alot longer than the 4 "AA" energizers I started with..)

I also upgraded the steering servo.. I got a 208oz. jobber from ebay.. It's fast and strong!Turns those big tires with ease!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
McWolf_101

Ok, thanks Mick. I think I'll just use the 1100mAh pack then since that should satisfy my needs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.