Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Lightning EP To Vortex EPX PRO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:40 AM
jowilson275
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightning EP To Vortex EPX PRO!!!

Well, while I was deployed to Iraq last year I thought it would be a good idea to get myself somthing to do when i went home on mid tour leave (rather than drinking the entire time).
So i came across a good deal on a Redcat lightning for 100 bucks. it was the basic plain jane so i decided to spruce things up a bit so i went ahead and bought EVERYTHING aluminum i could find and a 3.5t (9120 kv) Xcelorin Sensored brushless motor and backed it with a 2s 4000mah lipo from Integy.

What a tire shredding beast that turned out to be. But i then decided that i want to get dirty and the lightning just wouldn't provide that for me. Then, the vortex came out....

So, in came the new aluminum shock towers,
universal drive shafts,
aluminum lower control arms,
longer turnbuckles,
Traxxas slash waterproof servo,
waterproofreceiver box,
and waterproofVXL 3s esc and 3500 kv brushless backed with a 3s 4000mah fromVenom
upgraded aluminum Slash shocks,
Vortex epx body, body posts and post holders
and finally a nice new set ofRPM 2.2 wheels and Proline Switch tires.

Then, out came the dremel to get myself more lower control arm down travel and overall clearence in some binding spots. And to free up some space for a 76t diff and a 13t pinion. just some gears i had on hand. With the body fitted and trimmed, all thats left is to mount the front bumper. Once i get some test runs in and work out the kinks, i will make a video. here's some pictures for now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21843.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	1407714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92462.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1407715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41218.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1407716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25481.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1407717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87574.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1407718  
Old 03-30-2010, 04:44 AM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Lightning EP To Vortex EPX PRO!!!

I bet that thing is just beastly

Good job on it
Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM
jowilson275

thanks! yeah, it's pretty stout. it has no problem pulling a wheely in reverse lol.i need to fab up a wheelybar so i can attempt to save the body. i already snapped the rear body posts in halffrom a wheely gonewrong.my venom pro charger crapped out but i am shipping it back in to venom for replacement. so until then i wont be able to charge my packs. bummer.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Mickstix

Nice mods!! Looks like a beast!! Lookin forward to the vid!!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 AM
jowilson275

thanks man. i have actually never made a running video of a rc. it's always been my real cars. so it'll be new. i want to try and work in an onboardcamera angle. anyways, i will keep you guys posted on how things go.

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

Nice mods!! Looks like a beast!! Lookin forward to the vid!!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:44 AM
chevyderek72

Nice, you got a lot of mods on that thing. Get some video up when you get your charger back, we wanna see
Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Mickstix

Hey a cell phone and some duck-tape is all ya need for "incar" view!! Lookin forward to the movie!!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:14 AM
jowilson275

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

Hey a cell phone and some duck-tape is all ya need for "incar" view!! Lookin forward to the movie!!
lol yeah right. i would say that my phone is too valuable to me for thatbut i have an application on it that uses gps for a speedometer and will give me an average speed and a maximium speed. according to both my 07 jetta and my 91 crx, it only reads 2mph slower than what my cars speedo reads. at any speed...... appearently my 07 jetta is governed at 132mph and my crx si guage stops at 125 but with the jdm b16 and many other mods the needle just keeps going.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Husker69

Man, that thing looks nasty!!! Can't wait to see the vid! Is your aluminum chassis Redcat? I just bought a Vortex EP Pro and got it today. Put in a Lipo and I am afraid to go more thanhalf throttle. The thing is awesome, although I'm just breaking it in and plan to upgrade some of it. It's my first offroad, so I'm pumped! Good luck with the wheelie bar, make sure you put pics on here. I might need to make one too!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:51 AM
jowilson275

yes,the chassis isactually for the nitro version. the wrong one was sent to me. i figured i would just make due. don't be scared. just do it!!! once you do, you won't stop. i don't know how the redcat brushless performs but i know the traxxas velineon (which i have) is a beast (and waterproof). it's nice to know that if for some reason i feel the urge to drive it in a lake, it will be fine. when i figure out a wheelie bar, i will post pictures. i also intend to build a roll cage. i just need to pick up the tubing and get some free time.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Mickstix

Im sure you were joking about the lake, but I think those electronics are water "resistant", not actually water "proof".. (Least that's what I've heard) You can run em' through smallpuddles and stuff, but I wouldnt submerge them..
Edit:I just checked and the ad actually does say "water proof"...So, I guess it actually would be covered if it went south after gettin wet?But I've readon other boards where they had to be sent back after getting totally submergerd..

Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 PM
jowilson275

i havetaken it out in the rainalready. not completely submerged but damn close in some puddles and runoff ditches. im still procrastinating on the charger. i'll send it off on the first though. i need to send in my xcelorin esc to losi (horizon hobby) as well.