RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat Racing Tsunami Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5342302-redcat-racing-tsunami-thread.html)

KeithjV 07-08-2008 09:36 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tsunami Thread

If Im not mistaken taking the baffle out of the pipe would increase the top end, not the low end.

meaton 07-08-2008 09:41 PM

looks like takin the baffle out isn't what i'm lookin for. thanks for all the tips guys, i'm glad i found this forum. i've had a ton of questions about the whole nitro deal and this is forum has helped me a ton. i'll look into these pipes and clutch springs.

eminentguitar 07-08-2008 09:51 PM

When I took out that baffle it made it sound way better too :) and keith your right about the high end being stronger that where I noticed it

Megabash 07-08-2008 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I finally got a decent digital camera and so I took some shots of the my TUW with its current setup. I bought 8 GPM shocks for the E/TMAXX and slapped 4 of the 8 on so far. Once I get the aluminum standoffs from LiquidRC the other four will be installed for a total of 8 shocks on my TUW. Also I installed a steel Volcano gear reduction transmission a month or so ago and it works great for offroading. I have put half a gallon of fuel thru my TUW with this steel transmission and as you can see in the photos it is holding up really well! I have included some pictures for your guys viewing.:D

Swamp3r 07-08-2008 10:19 PM

Nice gear meshing job and the cigar adds alot to the pic lol

Megabash 07-10-2008 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well my aluminum standoffs arrived today so I installed the other four shocks. The truck handles really nice offroad and decent onroad..but it has one hell of a donkey kick if I don't keep on the gas after I hit a jump. It can actually take some good abuse w/o bottoming out too.

eminentguitar 07-11-2008 12:01 AM

Hey man I was just wondering what kind of air cleaner is that? and what kind of servo saver is that?

uhoo_01 07-11-2008 02:08 AM

hey have you guys bin reading on the himoto forum about a BIG BLOCK convertion being made , the convertion will be for the himoto mamba wich is a tsunami and others . hahahahhaha i can wait i was gunna upgrade and buy a hpi.18 engine but now il just wait and see if this kit comes out. , he said it will be a single speed tho but im kind of ova the whole two speed thing anyways. what do people think.

Megabash 07-11-2008 10:51 AM

Eminentguitar the air cleaner is a HPI Air Cleaner .12-.18 (2 stage) and the servo saver is a Kimbrough Ackerman Servo Saver Large on a Futaba S3305 w/metal gears. BTW Eminent, I put the two red rubber bands on the HPI air cleaner so the outer air filter doesn't come loose just so you know..they don't come with the air cleaner.

Also Uhoo I haven't seen the conversion kit that Himoto makes. I wish I had read this forum ealier as I have already ordered a OS .18 CV-RX for my TUW....nuts!!!

KeithjV 07-11-2008 11:15 AM

DO you have alink for that big block kit you are talking about?

Megabash 07-11-2008 11:33 AM

No Keith I don't but maybe Uhoo does. This is the first I have heard about a big block conversion kit from Himoto. Umm. wait I take that back here is a link to the post Uhoo is talking about!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7713242/tm.htm

KeithjV 07-11-2008 11:51 AM

Im not sure the diffs or dogbones would be able to handle the power of anything bigger then a .18. As it is I've twisted all on my dogbones with the stock .18

uhoo_01 07-11-2008 03:54 PM

yeah thats the link in the himoto forum , cant wait , just been looking on ebay for wich .21-.28 motor to go for there are so many options .... alot more than .18 engines....

peewee146 07-11-2008 07:50 PM

can you put a 2.2 tire on one

Megabash 07-11-2008 09:32 PM

I was thinking a bigger engine doesn't always equal more speed. Bigger engines do give more torque, and have lower rpms, in contrast to smaller engines and smaller engines usually produce higher rpms which generates a higher top end. So if one installs a bigger engine, one will have to install a pinion gear with more teeth to get the top end one desires. In addition with the torque that comes with a bigger engine the drive train will be under more stress and greater chance of breakage.

KeithjV 07-11-2008 09:50 PM

2.2's will fit, its the rims that can cause a problem sometimes because the a-arms are pretty wide so they hit the rim on some wheels.

peewee146 07-12-2008 07:03 AM

what size wheels should you use

KeithjV 07-12-2008 10:40 AM

Im using HPI scorch wheels. The only problem I had was the shaft isnt really long enough to tighten down the nut to hold the wheel on. Im in the process of putting volcano axles on it to solve that problem.

eminentguitar 07-12-2008 11:17 AM

Sweet keith you will like those stubs man there super strong. Just dont tighten them to close to the hub make sure they free spin. Your going to find that the inner bearings are going to want to come off. Not a big deal but if it bugs you as much as it did my I took apart some bearings and used the inner race of the big bearing as a shim to keep them in place lol if that makes no sence ill take some pics when I get back to town tomorrow. If your having dog bone problems you can lengthen them it works great using a tenssion pin and a welder or solder gun :)

uhoo_01 07-12-2008 10:52 PM

well my cars in bits now so i went and took some pics of the 3shoe clutch im running there blurrrrry but oh well .
[img][/img]http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn424/uhoo_01/13.jpg
[img][/img]http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn424/uhoo_01/23.jpg
[img][/img]http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn424/uhoo_01/33.jpg
the clutch works really good just a shame my 2speed is stuffed , waiting for parts......

Megabash 07-13-2008 12:01 AM

Where did you get the 3 shoe clutch from Uhoo? Right now I am using a 2 shoe aluminum clutch and a 3 shoe clutch would be so much better for the OS.18 I have coming in the mail.

uhoo_01 07-13-2008 12:14 AM

yeah the prob is i dont really know wat brand it is or wats it off . i have a GV (great vigor) touring car as well that about 6yrs old that i bought second hand 4yrs ago and the clutch set up is off the engine off that .

uhoo_01 07-14-2008 04:59 AM

well fellas , just orderd all the stuff of ebay for my BB conversion on my tsunami , engine , clutch every thing . Now just got to wait for it all to come from the usa .it looks all pretty straight forward so il keep ya posted on how i go . the hardest part was picking the engine there are so many for around the $130 mark it was hard to pick .

Kodiac400 07-14-2008 06:46 AM

peewee146. The stock size are 2.8 for the tsunami with 12mm hex.

Gelo_USA 07-14-2008 08:39 PM

hey guys.. I just got a tsunami... I got a tornado and a volcano....
I didnt really liked the tsunami suspension... has anyone put the volcano arms on the tsunami so its converted to ball joint suspension??? I was thinking about doing it but I wanted to see if any of u has done it already and how it worked out.... another thing is tht I cant shift into second... its adjusted to shift as fast as it can go before the screw hits the gear and still no luck.... the engine is leaned out and new....