RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat Racing Tsunami Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5342302-redcat-racing-tsunami-thread.html)

Megabash 06-29-2008 10:09 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Tsunami Thread

I have had the same problem and 10 out of 10 times it has been the battery running low on charge.

KeithjV 06-29-2008 11:05 PM

Aluminum shoes will grab a little stronger but they tend to get "glazed" and need to be roughed up a little once in a while. The clutch springs are going to determine where in the rpm range the clutch engages. Typically for a .18 engine you would want to use a .7mm spring, anything heavier then that and the clutch will have a tough time engaging.
The hpi racing clutch can be adjusted by using the different mounting holes as opposed to different weight springs.
ballstr, what do you mean it doesnt do what you want it to do? Are you referring to steering or accelerating?

gearguy70 06-30-2008 09:14 PM

hey guys, got the hsn problem again, after a good o'l day of bashing I decided to store the tsunami until I could get out to a nice open space. It sat for like 3 weeks, of no use, when I went to crank it over, she would start but as soon as I hit 50% throttle it would die. I noticed that the hsn was completely closed. is this normal? I had to re tune the hsn, and the lsn and idle screw a bit to get it working again, after the adjustment it ran awesome, but I would like to know if it's normal for me to be adjusting the needles after the car has been stored for a while. Thanks

Megabash 06-30-2008 09:29 PM

Whoa totally weird occurrence there gearguy70, never even thought a hsn could move while the car is sitting in storage. However I guess the cooling of the motor could cause the hsn to creep down to a closed position. I had a similar problem with the hsn on my nitro lightning. I had to replace the o-ring on it to fix the creeping problem.

KeithjV 06-30-2008 10:59 PM

Ive never heard of the needles moving on their own but who knows..
AS for having to re-tune after it sat for a while, sure. As it gets warmer out the air gets thinner so the engine will tend to run leaner. Then in the winter just the opposite, the cold heavier air will cause it to run rich. So if havent run the truck in a while a little re-tuning would be normal.

gearguy70 07-01-2008 07:52 PM

ok, so I may have to look into the o-ring bit and pay attention more closely. the good thing about living in the caribean is, winters arent cold. Thanks for your help guys, I may need to make a trip to my local hobby shop and look at some o-rings

uhoo_01 07-01-2008 09:00 PM

g'day every one from australia , iv got a tsunami , well its a himoto mamba xr-1 wich is the same thing . just wondering what motor's beside the ones that come with them will fit straight on ... will any .18 motor fit like , .os , hpi , traxxas, arial . plus can you fit a .21 at all .. and one last thing with the 2speed my ajustment screw screwed nearly all the way out and im not sure where is should be set . iv screwed it just about all the way back in so it will use first gear again . where is a good place to set it ..

KeithjV 07-01-2008 11:51 PM

uhoo_01 pretty much any .18 engine will fit but you'd have to make some mods to get a .21 to fit in. Also the diffs and drive train probably couldnt handle the power of a .21.
As of for the clutch, if you screw it all the way back in and then come out 3 turns I think that should work. I could be wrong but I think thats what I read somewhere.

Megabash 07-02-2008 12:04 AM

Well uhoo_01 I wouldn't slap a .21 into a 1/10th scale car without serious upgrades to the drive train, such as the transmission, dogbones, and differentials. Also you might have to do some engine relocation to get the .21 to fit. On the other hand any .18 will fit out of the box, but...be careful about which type of drive shaft you get with the engine you want to buy, for ease of use make sure the new engine has the same drive shaft as the stock motor. As for setting the 2speed transmission, the best thing to do is to screw, the set screw for second gear, all the way in and then back it out 2.5 turns. From there you may want to back it out or screw it in 1/4 of a turn until it the second gear engages when you want it to.

uhoo_01 07-02-2008 02:03 AM

cheeeeeers fellas , been a big help , prob wont change the motor now , well untill it gives up , but i just wanted to see wat my options were . im one of thos blokes that cant keep any thing stock lol . at the moment im running a big HPI savage pipe on the old .18 and it roars, really givin it some more ponnies.

KeithjV 07-02-2008 08:49 AM

uhoo lets see some pictures of the truck.

uhoo_01 07-02-2008 04:07 PM

iv put some pics already on the ( himoto forum ) under the show us your himoto tread . its the last pics posted blue f350 proline body....

KeithjV 07-02-2008 04:14 PM

It looks nice uhoo. What body is that you have on there?

uhoo_01 07-02-2008 06:01 PM

its just a ford f-350 body from a year or 2 ago . it sits abit high for my liking but being a ute body shel the tray hits the shock towers if i go any lower .. iv got a hummer h1 wagon body witch will go on soon , i should be able to get that really low like a Stadium truck.

meaton 07-08-2008 11:21 AM

I'm new to the hobby and iwa wondering whats upgrades i could get to get more bite off the line with my tsunami ultra wide. once it hits the power band it hawlz but i want quicker acceleration off the start. thanks

KeithjV 07-08-2008 02:38 PM

A tuned pipe and a smaller pinion or larger spur gear would help with the low end, you will lose some top speed though

meaton 07-08-2008 03:55 PM

i have the tuned pipe, i was just wondering about doing something to the clutch to get better holeshots. any ideas? thanks

uhoo_01 07-08-2008 05:39 PM

just wondering , i know alot of people swap out the sh.18 for the os.18 engine but what is the hpi rs4 18 engine like . Is it a good engine . it looks like it will fit straight in and it runs the clutch the every body runs on the redcats anyway. i think i might get one , even if i have to mod the mounting a little bit its no big deal , i had to mod my sh.18 mounting anyway because im running a 3 shoe clutch setup on that . let me no wat ya think about the hpi engine....

KeithjV 07-08-2008 07:44 PM

meaton which pipe are you using?
If you are just looking for better holeshots you can change the gearing, go with a smaller pinion and a larger spur. You will sacrifice top speed though. A different pipe that gives better low end would help too.
The HPI .18 is a good engine. The OS has more power though. The LRP .18 is good as well. eminentguitar has the OS on his and he loves it.
What flywheel are you using on your sh that gave you a 3 shoe clutch? Ive been looking for one but I havent had any luck.

uhoo_01 07-08-2008 07:56 PM

thanks , i had a lot of problems with the stock set up , with no down low power off the line and the fact that the stock clutch bell was turning purple because it was so hot i reckon it was slipping .i had a complete Force .15 engine i was not useing of my old car witch had a really good 3shoe clutch in it. so i swaped out the flywheel , shoes and spring but still use the sh.18 bell for the 2speed. its about 5mm to short for the tranny , like half a gear out . so i had to swap out the engine mount with the force one with is ajustable . the sh.18 mounts are not ajustable witch really sucks ,

uhoo_01 07-08-2008 08:11 PM

i think a few people have been looking for a 3 shoe set up il try and get some pics of it tonight for ya all , cheers

meaton 07-08-2008 08:13 PM

i'm just using the stock aluminum tuned pipe it came with. i suppose takin a cut in top speed wouldn't be that bad. i'm lookin to get into racing and i know this prolly isn't the best racin rig out there but i figured i would do what i could to turn it into somethin that will hang in there.

KeithjV 07-08-2008 09:02 PM

meaton dont underestimate the tsunami. Its a good truck, and with the right driver its going to hang with the more expensive trucks just fine. Check out the CVEC pipes. They are adjustable so you can set it for more speed or more torque and they are reasonably priced.

meaton 07-08-2008 09:34 PM

sounds like i need to get practicing!! i read in earlier pages about taking out the piece thats inside the muffler. is that a good idea? i know it won't do as good as getting a new pipe but i figured it might be a cheap way to get some extra zip.

chevyderek72 07-08-2008 09:34 PM

meaton you could also get the traxxas high stall clutch spring, i put one on my volcano and its take off is so much better. its part number is like 4146x i think