Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Back into SPAD's

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 06:06 PM
Cvans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back into SPAD's

I started out in Coro when I built my first Armadillo. That was what, 20 or more years ago. Then got into flying large SPAD's with converted chain saw engines. I really liked those as they were durable, the wind didn't bother them and the TV antenna's that were used for the fuselages were plentiful. Then real airplanes took over my flying and RC got put aside. Now I'm getting back into RC and am looking at building a .60 to .70 size SPAD. Having recently purchased an Evolution gas 15cc engine that seems like a good size that would be easy for an old man to handle yet easy to see. I'm thinking something in the 800 sq. inch range. Fortunately I saved one of the planes and will have patterns. Not looking for a 3D bottle rocket just something that flies realistic and can deal with the SD winds. That and can deal with the occasional Meadow Muffin or Gopher hole.
This is going to be a slow going project as health issues and other obligations (1930 DeSoto project) only allow occasional progress. Just hope the sign store where I used to purchase the Coro still has it available.
Chris
Old 11-01-2023, 01:29 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

sounds like fun Chris. I credit a SPAD 3D as teaching my left thumb how to 3D. Many days of fun burning glow fuel in a cheap .45 and a handful of 12x4 props. I still have a couple on a shelf. Just haven't burned glow in several years.

Have fun Sir!, David
The following users liked this post:
Cvans (11-17-2023)