Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Wing question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 12:32 AM
Keester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing question?

Hi, I have some signs I would like to use for wing sets. Only thing is the coro grain is opposite of the plans I have been using [DEBONAIR} is it unheard of building a wing this way? I dont see a huge problem, I might have to ad some spars [Ribs] to help it hold its shape. Any thoughts?
Thank you as always
Keester
Old 02-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Captain351

Default RE: Wing question?

If you can get your hands on some 2 Mil Coro it may be a better choice to build the wing from the Spadet. It is the same span & cord as the debonair wing and will work fine. I actually liked it better because it lowered the planes landing speed.

The Spadet wing may also be a better choice for your first Spad Wing from a building stand point. You may have a problem getting the leading edge of the Deb wing strait and flat unless you build a leading edge Jig before you build the wing. It is much easier to fold and glue the Spadet wing.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:45 PM
RichD

I think the point of his question is that the signs he wants to use as wings wont be shown if he has the flutes going the the "correct" direction.

for example, he might have some Mt Dew signs and he wants the words to go accross the wings, but flutes go in wrong dirction.

could be wrong, usually am though.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:30 PM
ChrisSpad

its not as strong with the flutes running spanwise, but it will work. Just score 3 flutes consecutively for the leading edge fold. You must use 2 spars, though, if you don't, airflow will seperate over the top of the wing at low speeds, and it'll flop out of the air at about twice the speed it should. Iow, build it just like the deb plans, but score 3 flutes, and use both spars for a flat spot on the top of the airfoil. its critical to make the wing fly right.