Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPAD Debonair newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 08:37 PM
jg4660
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPAD Debonair newbie

I got all the materials to start my first SPAD, but am new to gas and have a few questions. Im pretty experienced with electrics but got the bug to build a SPAD.

I can't tell from the plans where the fuel tank goes, is it mounted inside the fuse right behind the firewall? (probably a dumb question, huh)

Also whats a good size tank for the Deb?

I plan on buying an OS .40 LA....will it work okay? Fairly troublefree?Should i go bigger?

Any recommended mods to improve the basic plans...reducing wieght,etc..?

Any servo, flight pack recommendations that won't break the bank?

Well thats it for now...thanks in advance...This is a great Forum.

JG
Old 06-30-2004, 08:47 PM
FrankC29

Default RE: SPAD Debonair newbie

I can't tell from the plans where the fuel tank goes, is it mounted inside the fuse right behind the firewall?
Yes, right behind the firewall in the front of the fuselage.

Also whats a good size tank for the Deb?
A Hayes Slimline 8 oz. tank will do you just right.

I plan on buying an OS .40 LA....will it work okay? Fairly troublefree?Should i go bigger?
The OS .40LA is world famous for how weak it is. You will not like it on a Deb. I would get a Thunder Tiger .42 GP at the minimum, or a .46 if you can afford the extra $20-$30. You will be very glad you did.

Any recommended mods to improve the basic plans...reducing wieght,etc..?
Start out by building it exactly to plan. It flies great already, and you have enough to think about right now to have to start making unnecessary mods already. That can come later.

Any servo, flight pack recommendations that won't break the bank?
Take a look at www.servocity.com. Very good prices and service. Don't bother with fancy servos, the rock bottom standards will do just fine. Good Luck!!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:20 PM
jg4660

Frank,
Old 06-30-2004, 09:22 PM
jg4660

Frank...Thanks for the great information and advice. One other question i had...with gas planes do you balance them with the fuel tank full or empty...never had to give this much thought with my electrics.

Thanks again!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:25 PM
RichD

ORIGINAL: FrankC29

The OS .40LA is world famous for how weak it is. You will not like it on a Deb. I would get a Thunder Tiger .42 GP at the minimum, or a .46 if you can afford the extra $20-$30. You will be very glad you did.
I absolutely LOVE my TT .46 pro
Old 06-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Spastic

Empty, that way its alittle nose heavy and easyer to control when full, otherwise you could end up squirly when you get low on fuel, tail heavy...
tt46 all the way $70 no brainer, take the baffle out of the muffler
Old 06-30-2004, 09:51 PM
jg4660

That makes sense...Thanks. It looks like the tt .46 it is.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:09 AM
Tattoo

I can't tell from the plans where the fuel tank goes, is it mounted inside the fuse right behind the firewall? (probably a dumb question, huh)
Look at the DasPlasStick plans, the tank is mounted the same way in the same place...with better pictures[8D]
Old 07-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Captain351

Start out by building it exactly to plan.
I don't know that I agree with that statement. If you put the TT.46 on it you will have the power and speed to induce aileron flutter.
If I was a newbee I wouldn't want to have to figure out how to make that buzzing noise go away.
Better to use 2 aileron servo's you won't have to worry about flutter and you will have an easier time putting the rubber bands on because the push-rods won't be in the way.

Put the servo's on the underside of each wing half in roughly the center of each aileron. I put mine just behind the rearmost spar. remember to mirror image your servo horns so you don't have to use a servo reverser on one of them.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Spastic

I agree with the 2 servos and use a 11x4 or 11x5 prop to keep the speed sane, for that matter maybe keep the baffle in the muffler till you get used to it.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:22 PM
jg4660

Thanks everyone for the great info.....Hey spastic im the guy who e-mailed you looking for supplies. Thanks again..mayby i'll see you at Field's someday. Oh by the way i found the 2 1/2
square gutter at GUI's building supplies in Clarence, they said its been discontinued. I bought two lengths and there were 6 left if your looking to stock up.

Thanks
JG
Old 07-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Spastic

COOL thanks for the tip, i'll be there, if only i had more $$
you can get the TT46 at Fields hobby just as cheap as anywhere else, just ask them what they can do for you.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Mitty

I fly debonair with 40 la blue head.
The stock engine as it is is NOT enough power but i was a BIT surpriced when guys at the field adviced to remove buffle in mufler..Now i still flying debonair with 40 la.Its not powerhouse at all but hey,for trainer that is a cheap engine(crashes) but yet it can fly it ...Most of the time i fly it 3/4 throttle..however some folks loves extra power so 46 should be good enough,just don't open it wide open...
Old 07-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Spastic

I have an la40 also, its great for small light spads, they run great and are trouble free and maintenance free because of the lack or rusting bearings, but if i could only have one engine and i only had $70 i would get a tt46, i would have saved for a os46fx but i dont know about the new ax yet. and they are $110 thats 3 gallons of 15% diff