Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Pre packaged Spad kits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 04:43 PM
bryris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre packaged Spad kits?

Based on some research, it appears as though SPAD stuff is tough to find. Gutter pipe, coroplast, etc.

Is there anyone who sells a kit with all the stuff needed for a SPAD plane?

Do people sell prebuilt SPADs?
Old 02-15-2005, 04:50 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pre packaged Spad kits?

Here ya go:

http://www.spadtothebone.com/misc/ARF.html

But it Really isn't that hard....

Ace hardware and a sign distributor...

or Harbor sales and Genova plastics for online......

IMHO an ARF spad defeats the purpose of SPAD....but thats just me
Old 02-15-2005, 06:31 PM
bryris

The problem is that everytime that I have gone to Lowes or HD for things for my plane (tools and somewhat regular stuff), they don't seem to have it. Or when I ask someone, they look at me like I am nuts. I don't really want to spend a lot of money on this SPAD gig, I just want to goof around with very little $$ on the line.

However, my time is valuable too. I don't mind spending a few extra dollars to save me a bunch of hassle of running all around town to places that likely won't carry what I am looking for.

I have never seen a SPAD airplane in my life other than the pictures. I like the concept of having a cheap little flyer to goof around with, but to be honest, I really don't know where to start.

The balsa airplanes just make good sense. Go to towerhobbies, horizon, or the LHS and pick what you need. I can do that! But, I am sort of overwhelmed at where to go to get the SPAD stuff, of which I wouldn't know if I saw it. What the heck is gutter pipe and C channel aluminum?

Get my drift? I am a quick learner, but am spinning my wheels a bit trying to get started.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:36 PM
exeter_acres

the big box stores don't carry the stuff we need for spads....

you need to try the mid size hardware stores for the gutter pipe...(actually ask for downspout)

and we found the coro by calling a sign/plastic wholesaler...told him what we were doing and he was happy to sell us some coro
Old 02-15-2005, 08:51 PM
sirrob01

don't fret to much over downpipe, can't get the right size stuff in aus so I tend to just fold up a fuse out of corro, theres a how to on the spadworld net forum. the corro fuse usually works out lighter as well, I havent had any strength issues.

S01
ps found it [link=http://spadworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=874]corro fuse[/link]
Old 02-15-2005, 09:29 PM
RC-Captain

Based on some research, it appears as though SPAD stuff is tough to find. Gutter pipe, coroplast, etc.
You sure are not lieing, but keep in mind me and you and others are just getting into this SPAD thing , it probably has been around for at least 5 years or so. With this said gutter pipe is now aluminum where I live, and coroplast can be founf at any sign shop but isnt inexpensive at all. U channel can probably be found at a sing shop to , my company uses U channel for there signs. Bottom line IT ISN;T EASY AS EVERYONE IS SAYING.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:58 PM
RC-Captain

wood in a SPAD ! [>:] you trader [:-] just kidding ,looks hard to make though.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:15 PM
-pkh-

Well, I'm not going to try to talk you into building SPADs if you don't want too...

Sure it's easier to buy a ARF at Tower... then when you stuff it into the ground, it's easier to just buy another one... you need some pretty deep pockets to go that route. The alternative is to learn how to build and rebuild balsa planes, but you'll spend more on time and materials building/rebuilding balsa planes than you will building/rebuilding SPADs, and there are several specialized tools you need for building balsa planes. Balsa planes look better, fly better, and are the "mainstream" type of plane, so you can get plans, kits, materials, etc. at any hobby shop around, local or online.

A number of local and online sources have been posted in this forum (and even in this thread) for gutterpipe, coro, and U-channel. If you can't find a local source, buy it online. I spent some time tracking down both online and local sources for my materials, and shelled out about $100 because I bought in quantity... believe me, I was hoping I wasn't wasting my money. I've built about six SPADs out of this stuff, and still have a good amount left over for more. The first SPAD I built (a modified Dagger with a DPS wing and trike landing gear) flew quite well despite several imperfections. I was sold on SPADs after that...
Old 02-15-2005, 11:11 PM
KyFBCGuy

Here is a place that sells pre-built SPAD'

www.boogerboyhobbies.com

I haven't seen one of them up close yet, but they dont look too bad.

Jeff
Old 02-16-2005, 05:01 AM
Madd_Maxx

RC-FIEND:

The easiest thing to build your first spad out of would be the 3/4" u channel (available at home depot-menards-lowes) found in the metal rod and sheet metal areas of the store.....ask someone for a 3 foot section of all-thread rod and you'll find the u-channel (actually called plywood edging). The downspout can be found at do-it-best hardwares (they can normally order it for you no problem if not in stock. Coroplast can be found at the majority of sign shops (don't forget to tell them you ARE BUILDING A PLANE not signs) for not that high of price. All that's left is to get your creative mind working and start building.

Here's a couple of mine with a coro fuse:

And a few of the downspout fuse:

If you want to build a coro fuse I can send you a couple sections of the downspout to get started...it's not that hard actually. The coro fuse pane I've got roughly 20 hours in the build but most of that is due to using poly glue on the fuse that takes a while to dry. The wing was build and finished in a hour or so.

Madd_Maxx
Old 02-16-2005, 07:46 AM
RC-Captain

You show me those beuties , then tell me to use U channel lmao

Thanksfor the info and nice planes . I wont give up but im just letting you know its not easy to get some of the material .
Old 02-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Madd_Maxx

I actually like to use the 1" square tube fuse if I'm not making a gutterpipe or coro fuse since it seems quite a bit more rigid and stronger than the u-channel stuff. I've got a section of the u-channel out in the garage if you want it.

Here's my other planes with the 1" square fuse:

The u-channel version (pic below before the profile was added) one good dirtnap bent the u-channel beyond repair so I re-built it with a 1" square tube in the picture above

And the other gutter pipe dominator that is now retired:

All it takes is a little bit of time and not a whole lot of money to have A LOT of fun with a spad. Best part is knowing that you built it yourself!!

Madd_Maxx
Old 02-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Sky Dart1
My Feedback: (6)

Most of the supplies I use come from Genova and Harbor, but there are some prebuilts every year at the Southeastern Model Show at Perry, GA coming up on March 4-5
Old 02-16-2005, 08:23 PM
RC-Captain

Nice planes , and not a bad idea to use 1" square tube. I'm going to start a new thread to see if we can come up with different things to use for the fuse. So far I have heard U channel, Coro, down spout , and 1" square tube. There has to be 100 more different things that can be used.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:33 PM
O2man
My Feedback: (5)

If you are an experienced builder, then there are so many resources out there that you can spend the rest of your life doing research. The supplies are not too hard to find, but if time is a problem, you may want to take a look at something like www.spadflyer.com.

This is a very basic and simple place to begin. The price is really low, and the plane is tough enough to handle most of what you can dish out.

Regardless of what you choose to try, you will find a lot of peace of mind in not worrying about how much time and money you have in your new bird.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:59 PM
RC-Captain

Thanks but no thanks . Although it may take some time, I will get the materials I need and will complete my second SPAD. give me time .........

$15.00 shipping, are they nuts. I have has ARF balsa kits shipped for much less.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:03 PM
O2man

Where do you find $15 for shipping? I think you misread the site.

Regardless, if it doesn't get it for you, then you'll do fine with what you choose.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:12 PM
RC-Captain

This rate will add to the $15.00 Domestic Rate when you check out.
http://spadflyer.com/parts_page.htm

these are the words and the link to page.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:55 PM
O2man

Looks to me like that is for the RTF with radio engine and the whole works shipped for $15 on a $309 purchase. Sounds like a pretty good deal, but that's just me.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:29 PM
bryris

I've been PMing Madd-Maxx and he's been very informative. I am burried in school demands at the moment, but when I get some free time in the coming days, I am gonna do some research and start collecting parts for something.

I just like the idea of having a fun plane without all the strings attached. Something that I can fly even when I am not at the field without worries.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:33 PM
KyFBCGuy

You could drive there and pick it up couldn't you?

Then you wouldn't have to pay the $15.00 shipping on it...

But do you really think you could get there, and pick it up and
get home with it for less than $15.00??

I think not.... pay the shipping and be done with it.

Jeff
Old 02-17-2005, 11:34 PM
O2man

Byris,

Sounds like you understand the purpose of SPAD very well. Good luck
Old 02-18-2005, 12:01 AM
RC-Captain

But do you really think you could get there, and pick it up and
get home with it for less than $15.00??
Sure I can .....................hitch hike The entire purpose of building SPAD's is to save money so I will not pay $15 dollars before I even get any equipement to show for it. . I'll just have wait it out or come up with my own ideas.

Byris didnt they just rip you a new one in another post for that .25 engine you bought?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:56 AM
KyFBCGuy

Getting the stuff to build a SPAD isnt that difficult to do.

Some of you make it sound like you are in the middle of Tibet and have no resources for
materials for construction. You can get Corroplast almost anywhere. Take a look when you drive down the street
ALL those SODA and Cigarette ad signs are made of Coroplast, albeit 4MM type. If you are willing to do the leg work
you can usually get a few of them for nothing is you ask the right people. If you have a sign shop i town, stop by and
see if they have any old signs or will sell you a sheet to go. The one supplier here in town will even cut it for you if you ask.

The gutter pipe isnt too hard to get either...just dont go to the big stores, they wont have what you neeed.
Stick with the smaller chains to get the gutter pipe. The canadian (eh?) stuff is more difficult to get.
but for most purposes the US stuff works fine.

As far as building them goes, they are simple to build. If you have some basic hobby skills (using a razor knife, drawing a straight line, gluing, and basic reading) they are no problem to build. It does take a little reasoning sometimes to think parts of it through before you cut or glue. You can build the tools you need to help the construction of them too. I built a wing jig that makes the wing building a whole lot easier than doing it without it.

Don't be afraid to try to build them... it is simple. Sure, you will screw up once in a while, but big deal. Undo it and start over.
A beginner should be able to follow the directions off STTB adn build a DEB in a couple of days working a few hours a day on it.

Give it a try, the first one will be the most fun one you build because of the learning. The feeling of having done it yourself
is great as you watch it fly by....

Jeff
Old 02-18-2005, 07:44 AM
RC-Captain

I already completed one , it didn't fly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.