RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/)
-   -   Liability of SPAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/1199880-liability-spad.html)

Woodsy 10-16-2003 02:34 AM

RE: Liability of SPAD

"Sounds like the same logic my wife uses if I bring up the subject of Earthquakes"

Yep, same thing, your wife is paranoid about earth quakes, you are paranoid SPAD safty, both so remote in most places its not worth worying about.

if you worry about this sort of thing you probably worry about tyres on Ford explorers, or seat belts on chryslers, or terorist atacks..

YES THEY ARE ALL POSSIBLE but also not wothe the time to type this thread

novabill 10-16-2003 07:09 AM

Soo true Woodsy,;)

WILLIAM

3d-aholic 10-16-2003 10:01 AM

if you worry about this sort of thing you probably worry about
Who said I was worried....I ask a question. The purpose of a question is merely to seek information and any emotional response you have attributed to it...is your own.

novabill 10-16-2003 10:54 AM

Hey 2MuchTrow,

Dont sweat it, we're just having a little fun. You started a very entertaining thread and it's pretty cool that a bunch of people from around the world can have a conversation (and share their EMOTIONS) about our hobby. As you can see, the people in this forum take spadding quite seriously, actually we take the comcept seriously. Our planes fly as well, if mot better than planes of a more conventional design. Just because we shop at Lowes instead of the LHS does'nt mean the pilot on the sticks is any less qualifyed to fly the plane. I'll bet on these pages, you'll find some of the most talanted thumbs anywhere (myself not included). We are not afraid of desintegrating our aircraft in a doink and therefore fly looser. This makes us better pilots in the long run. So if we have already determined the pilots are the liability and not the materials, then SPAD pilots quite possibly could be more qualifyed to fly tham amyone.
Build one of these things and fly it and start enjoying the simplicity of SPAD.
Good luck and safe flying.

WILLIAM

BTW I used to live in CROW CANYON worked at HOJOs as a kid. Beautiful area.;)

3d-aholic 10-16-2003 10:59 AM

We are not afraid of desintegrating our aircraft in a doink and therefore fly looser. This makes us better pilots in the long run.
Well that has been my thinking. I only sound serious. But, I need to find a motor for $25...

novabill 10-16-2003 11:11 AM

COOL;)

Spend the $78 and get a new GMS .47 or Tower .46. Fly with an 11x4 or 12.5x3.75 and you'll be happy.

Remember, dont forget the pictures

WILLIAM

Mike in DC 10-16-2003 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: 2MuchThrow
Who said I was worried....I ask a question. The purpose of a question is merely to seek information and any emotional response you have attributed to it...is your own.
2Much, it's a good question, one I've thought of myself, and I apologize for the behavior of my overly defensive Spad brethren. From a strict liability stand-point, I think you'll be OK, assuming you're an AMA member. But we all have a moral obligation not to make things more dangerous than they have to be. From my experience (from crashing into the ground), a gutter pipe and coro plane will do no more or less damage than a balsa plane of the same weight (and as others have mentioned, that damage can be lethal, even for a 5 pound balsa trainer).

The metal rods though, do give me pause. They do seem kind of like an arrow. Then I figured, the only way that arrow is going to hurt you is if the 1 pound engine with the prop on it hurts you first. So my gut feeling is to ignore the liability issue, even with the metal channels and rods, and just have fun flying (safely, of course).

3d-aholic 10-16-2003 11:45 AM

hmm, I think in the true spirt of SPAD, flying with resurrected "junk" and an old beater engine seems more in tune with SPAD.

ChrisSpad 10-16-2003 12:29 PM

I smell a rat here.

Gosh, this SPAD stuff looks really interesting. I thought about buying a Duraplane...basically because it looked indestructable. But, now I see there is a whole modeling experience based upon this.
Exciting.

So, heres my first question.

Liability. Is there any extra liability assumed from building your model from aluminum and cutting board? Will AMA cover this? Do certain clubs not allow these type of models?
I checked out 2much throw's profile, and according to it, he has 10 years building, and 5 years operating experience.

Seems a little out of line for someone thats been at it for at least 5 years, but, ok, for the sake of argument, lets assume its legit.

Then, this:

...I think you are way off base. You guys are reading "WAY-into" my very innocent post. I'm a newbie at this. I just followed a thread yesterday from the ARF section so my entire knowledge of this type of plane/modeling is about 20 hours old.

I want one of these....I'm especially interested in the Tattoo 3dspad... I'm just making sure there are no liability issues. I'm going to check with my club next to make sure they allow them....even if its find with the AMA. I went to the hardward store yesterday to check out the U-tubes and square-tubes.
HUH? 20 hours, what about the missing 5-10 years you spoke of in your profile? You mentioned duraplane in an earlier post. It was stated repeatedly that the materials used in spads are the same ones used in Duraplanes, and aircore, as well as numerous different combat, slope, and 3d planes.
So, what do you want? The AMA has safety requirements, go read them. You won't find a spad that violates a single one of them, period. Thats it. Thats the answer to your question. Yet, you still continue:

Ok, obviously you guys are very defensive on this subject...

I was just looking at this from the eyes of a newbie, from the aspect that Great Planes obviously has to have some testing process they go through when they create and kit a plane. But, who knows. But when I picked up a piece of that U-tube is when it dawned on me that this thing was quite "heavier" than I imagined and traveling at 100mph, looked more dangerous than a piece of balsa where I have to be careful of crushing the wings with my bare-hands on days where I have an extra box of Wheaties.

This stuff is tougher and heavier... In fact, thats to some degree why I want to build one of these so it can survive a heavy landing on a windy day.
Great planes does, but does every, or any Joe Blow that decides to scratch build a model airplane, be it built of balsa, foam, coroplast, or whatever? No. He doesn't, the GP argument is a moot point. End of story.

and some more:

Well if I ever got good enough to create plans and a website advertising a plane design, I would put a disclaimer on there just like the kit plans I get. There must be some reason why they still that legal disclaimer in there.

Afterall, somebody sued McDonalds because the hamburgers made them fat....

Anybody else smell a troll yet? I do.

hmm, I think in the true spirt of SPAD, flying with resurrected "junk" and an old beater engine seems more in tune with SPAD.
and now, the proof, as far as i'm concerned.
You guys banter about it all you want. I'm done with it.

3d-aholic 10-16-2003 01:00 PM

I checked out 2much throw's profile, and according to it, he has 10 years building, and 5 years operating experience.
Yep, I have a Cirrus AM Radio thats about 25 years old...you want to buy it. I probably have close to 20 years experience building...but I really don't see your point. But, I have "never"....let me quote "never", seen a spad fly at any of the clubs I'm in.

But these SPAD models are not that old of an idea --right According to the SPAD websites, they were invented in 1998. The members I have talked about it with at my club think these planes are ridiculous and overweight...and won't fly very good. But, I think its cool but I'm sure I will get a lot of flak at the field and a lot of laughs.

Some of you SPAD guys need to really cut down on the coffee -- man....your taking yourself way too seriously. I have never seen a set of folks so defensive about their hobby. I don't know if you use to getting haggled or what but I'm sure its got to be harder to fly an aluminum rod cable-tied to coroplast than any balsa plane...so take some "anti-stress" tea and smoke a ciggy or something.

novabill 10-16-2003 01:05 PM

This is really getting good

Quicker 10-16-2003 01:35 PM

Ya beat me to it Chris, but I call TROLL!!!!!!

Kraut 10-16-2003 02:19 PM

but I'm sure its got to be harder to fly an aluminum rod cable-tied to coroplast than any balsa plane
This hobby is all about choice. It's a good thing for the balsa companies that some people choose the "better flying" airplanes. Some of us choose diferently because we know better.

right According to the SPAD websites, they were invented in 1998.
Where does it say that?

3d-aholic 10-16-2003 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Kraut
Where does it say that?
[sm=confused.gif]
Your name is there... near the bottom of the page.
http://www.spadtothebone.com/

SPADTOTHEBONE.COM
Spad started in Wichita, Kansas in the spring of 1998 when Collin "Kraut" McGinnis and Dean "Tattoo" Tuinstra designed a cheap and quick building plastic airplane for R/C combat. Kraut and Tattoo are jet engine mechanics at McConnell AFB, best friends, extreamly compeditive, and share a passion for R/C aircraft. Kraut built Spad #1.

ORIGINAL: Kraut

This hobby is all about choice. It's a good thing for the balsa companies that some people choose the "better flying" airplanes. Some of us choose diferently because we know better.

Not addressing your response Kraut...but...a huge purpose of these forums is for "experienced" people to help "new" people without lambasting them. It goes with the history of the Internet that seems to get lost more and more everyday.

I don't KNOW...thats why I'm asking...not to provocate a defensive response.

Tattoo 10-16-2003 05:10 PM

First of all I wrote that piece on spadtothebone...NOWHERE does it say we INVENTED anything. In fact I almost take offense to that because it would take credit away from US Air Core, Dura-Plane, SturdyBirdy and anyone else who been doing this stuff...like the cardboard guys from the late 70's or the foam board guys from the 80's.

but I'm sure its got to be harder to fly an aluminum rod cable-tied to coroplast than any balsa plane
And who is lambasting who about something he hasen't even done yet? I'm here on the internet to tell you that with 27 years of experience in the hobby, with 22 of them spent flying balsa...that a statement like that even got me going. It couldn't be further from the truth. An airplane's flight charicteristics are not determined by what it's made from...but from how it's designed. I've been laughed at at the field before, and I've been trashed on the internet plenty...but screw em all, I'm getting the last laugh every time one of my planes leaves the ground.

Woodsy 10-16-2003 05:13 PM

any emotional response you have attributed to it...is your own.
???? where did emotions come in to my post? , particularly mine??

Spad started in Wichita, Kansas in the spring of 1998
started in WICHITA in 98 and may be even the SPAD acronym started in 98 but i have an rc mag going back to 78 that has coroplast scratch built planes in it.

I don't KNOW...thats why I'm asking...not to provocate a defensive response.
And we've told you a dozen times, there is NO, NONE, NADA liability problem any more or less than any other rc plane.

The members I have talked about it with at my club think these planes are ridiculous and overweight
typlical responce of the uninformed, they "THINK these planes are ridiculous and overweight" but actualy they have no real idea

DeBearSteve 10-16-2003 05:17 PM

I have gotten into these conversations before. "Me thinks you protesteth to much" 2MuchThrow. You are definetly stirring the pot. We are not thin skinned, but we have been down this "Safety" road before. I think everyone here remembers that one. I'm thinking that this thread should be terminated.

DeBear

Woodsy 10-16-2003 05:26 PM

Damn, your right Steve, i promised myself last time i wouldn't get sucked in again.

3d-aholic 10-16-2003 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Tattoo

First of all I wrote that piece on spadtothebone...NOWHERE does it say we INVENTED anything.
"Spad started in Wichita, Kansas in the spring of 1998 ..." Well invented and started are synonyms to me....[:o]

Syn: To discover; contrive; devise; frame; design; initiate; fabricate; concoct; elaborate. See Discover.

Anyway, I'm not responding anymore to this thread....every single thing I say in here causes problems with you guys...your flying around with a lot of baggage if you ask me.

3d-aholic 10-16-2003 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Woodsy

Damn, your right Steve, i promised myself last time i wouldn't get sucked in again.
Doesn't matter, this is my last response and I'm unsubscribing...so you guys will have to argue with yourself going forward.

novabill 10-16-2003 06:13 PM

Arguement over

bye now

Tattoo 10-16-2003 07:19 PM

I invented my car this morning:) Races begin at the inventing line :) This could be the invent of something really big :) I got a tickle in my throat and invented coughing :) When does the show invent? :)

FrankC29 10-17-2003 01:55 AM

Do trolls have tails? If so this one just ran off with his between his legs. He came in here predisposed against Spads, and masked it behind a "I wuz just a wonderin" kind of attitude that drives me nuts. Did he think he was going to create a large industry wide concern as to the safety of Spads? Bring up hot button issues of safety and legal issues, question whether or not Spads are as safe as other types of models (with an obvious negative bent) and then tell everyone to chill out? Man, I hope he keeps his word and shuts up on this thread.

cainebean 10-17-2003 09:36 AM

Before I add my 2 cents, I am a newbie to both balsa and spads....

why can't we all realize that everytime a balsa person comes in and trolls, the thread gets really personal and nasty! We aren't going to convert them, we aren't going to change their opinion, we aren't going to do anything except give them ammo for calling us, "mean, defensive, etc...". We know what we have and we know why we like spads! I know they throw out false statements and spaders correct them for newbies like myself who depend on these boards for info, but also realize that the people that are really interested in spads and flying will do the research. And they will, just as I have, realize that trolls start crap then place blame on spaders. The other newbies that read a few threads and form opinions shouldn't matter. When they get into a converstation with anyone that knows anything about flying, their lack of knowledge will show.

So here is my plea spad brother and sisters.... Let's fight this battle with kindness and realize that the more we allow them to press our buttons and bring out our darker sides, the more ammo we give them. Maybe eventually we will all be known as the nicer, smarter, more money in our pocket side of rc flying...

JakeCarter 10-17-2003 11:12 AM

2MuchThrow, yes the website says that SPAD started in 98, but I think your missing the point of what "SPAD" means, it's Simple Plastic Airplane Designs, it's a concept of using the same low cost matierials that duraplane and aircore had been selling as overpriced ARFs and making Simple to follow plans from them for people to freely use, that's what started in 98, not building from coroplast, that was invented by hobbico ;)

Maybe eventually we will all be known as the nicer, smarter, more money in our pocket side of rc flying...
Hopefully, just this last weekend I was flying when a guy showed up with a u can do 3d, brand new 61fx on the nose. He got it up in the air and did a few circuits with it but no maneuvers at all, it seemed obvious that he was fairly new at it and I was surprised he was flying the plane he was. Anyways he ended up dorking the landing and breaking the needle, prop, landing gear, cutting holes up and down the fuse..... I went over and started talking to him and told him about SPADs. Long story short he is now working on a SPADet with some coro I gave him. When I told him he could have a plane that practically bounced when it crashed it made his day.