Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Warbird Champioship Event

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 04:04 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warbird Champioship Event

Hello Race enthusiasts,
I am considering putting together a Warbird event with the hopes that it would eventually make it the Nats in Muncie.
I would like to see the Sams rules as a guideline. I am not ruling out Electrics at all.
Id like to see 2 classes only. A Gold Break Out Class at 1:25 and a Non Break Out class like the "unlimited" series in the Triangle Series Joe runs. This would cater more to the custom built planes many are already flying.

AS many of you now know, World Models is set to release a Gold ready ARF Spitfire in Jan of 2015. That could be raced in either of the proposed classes. They may be producing another type of plane like a Mustang version as well. These would certainly help the Break out class be filled up with minimal expense.

To help get the interest started I would like to propose a year end race event to be held some where in California where we could combine the Sams, Triangle Series, RCPRO and other independent clubs into a championship type race event. I feel we could easily attract 60-80 entries with the right help from you dedicated and experienced racers. This would be Silver and Gold with great prizes. If the classes didn't fill up we could even open it up to Bronze planes. They key reason for this event would be to attract all the different warbird series into one event as well ass see how well this pans out to present it to the Muncie officials for consideration.

I have taken the time these past few years to visit as many different races and venues as I could and I have met some great people. I am asking for this thread to be a think tank from all of you as I get this all set and hopefully one day very soon see it as a National 2 Class event in Muncie.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:01 PM
JPGale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Marty,

I would love to see a Nats for 2 pole warbird racing, I think the demand is there. As for the starting proposal, I think your on the right track with your ideas, I know of a few different classes based around California. Do you have any ideas of where you would host this event, I would think somewhere that is equal distance from the majority of the racers, Bakersfield would come to mind first, but if people could register an interest and indicate roughly where they would be willing to travel to, that will help.

I will be watching with interest

James
Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 PM
MFLOOD3800

Thx for the reply James and yes there is a Place I was informed might show some interest. I will reach out to the contact person and hopefully have an event this year after The main racing is done. It will be like a championship type race . Not a apart of the local series but still a race that crowns the warbird champ of all the series (SAMS< REDDING< TRIANGLE< RCPRO). You might be the series champ in your local group, but others may not make as many races as you did, so lets go head to head and see whos got what.

If this attracts enough racers from multiple series we should be able to approach the AMA about Nats National Championship Event. I have been in a lot of different racing series for 10 yrs and I will say the warbird 2 pole has the most consistant high entry of all of them. Giant scale is slowing, Q40 (other than phoenix race) is slowing. But 2 pole warbird at key places continues to see consistant growth.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:58 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm all for,it as well. A good venue for that championship race will be a challenge. Yes Bakesfield would be a good geographic location however the field reall does not have much separation. Buttonwillow comes to mind but would require more effort. Rabbit would also be an option.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:09 AM
MFLOOD3800

I believe we have a location and someone willing to host the race. It is a well run club that already does high end racing.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:50 AM
speedracerntrixie

Victorville?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:05 AM
MFLOOD3800

No Shawn and Im not at liberty to say yet because nothing is firm.
Please everyone remember this is still simply an "Idea" with hopes that it manifests.

I will say a lot of help will be needed so this isnt dumped all on one or 2 people. If everyone who has experience jumps in and does just one thing, it will work.
I hope to tap into the great resourses we have of CD's, Announcers, Registration people, Matrix and software gurus, course workers, etc...

Keeping in mind this is a beginning of the ground work so volunteering is key. No money to pay people to help out or with travel expenses. Its gonna take all of our efforts.

I am already looking at Oct 24-25 as the dates. Again nothing is firm.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:19 AM
JPGale

I can help out, I did run the triangle/unlimited series for a few years, so I have run the line. I am also a software guru (it is my day job so I guess that makes me a guru) and can help with that stuff as well. I will want to race but I am a volunteer as well.

James
Old 12-04-2014, 11:41 AM
MFLOOD3800

Thx James

This is what will make it all work... if we all do a little and still have plenty of time to race and enjoy watching our local club series evolve into an incredible event.

If someone is wanting to contact me directly outside of the public arena my email is: [email protected]
Old 12-05-2014, 06:35 AM
MFLOOD3800

We have YS, APC and Horizon Hobby onboard already - WOW!! A Huge thanks to them. The AMA Dist 10 (LT) has shown interest in being there as well.
Lets take this racing to the level it was meant to be.
If anyone has an idea for a host club or field that is safely used for racing and centered for all the different clubs, I am still reviewing all possibilities and have not made a decision yet so please inform me - thx.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:33 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Marty since i started this year i wanted to take this to AMA also. i want to work with you and make this happen. I didnt know about this thread till I talked to Richard today. I will shoot you an email and we can discuss.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:46 PM
MFLOOD3800

Awesom Jeff - All aboard for sure!!
Old 12-05-2014, 07:46 PM
MFLOOD3800

The response of phone calls and emails has been off the charts. thx to everyone who is stepping up to see this idea happen.
i will be publicly announcing more and more as it comes up , like rule basics, date and location. It takes a bit w/o a home club and field to take this endeavor on. Once again if there is an idea of a hungry club looking to use this event to promote itslef let me know.

Just so you all know, here is what a winning plane looks like
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	new verano stiletto.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	2052532  
Old 12-05-2014, 07:51 PM
MFLOOD3800

There are a lot of other pilots viewing this thread so feel free to post your racers and let them see what we race.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:08 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a silver class plane. YS 91 i will try to up load another picture of my Tsunami plane it had ran a 125:05 for fast time. This form of racing is some much fun. Everyone doing the club racing can easily step up to a WM plane with a YS engine and have a blast. The sound and sight seeing these racing around the pylons is just plain cool.

Name:	P-51B YS 91.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	2052537  
Old 12-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marty, If I can be of help I will. JR and I designed the SAM matrix and I have worked on the last 3 SAM warbird rules rewrites and have CD'd the OUTLAWS since 2000. I'm sure JR will help were he can as well.

Skids
Old 12-05-2014, 10:18 PM
1beege
My Feedback: (2)

Kingdon Airpark in Lodi would be a great place for this event. Plenty of room, close to hwy 5, and AWESOME people
Old 12-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marty,

As I stated initially on Jake’s thread when this discussion first began, I would love to be involved in any capacity that you feel I may be of service. I offer my experience, having been involved in every aspect of scale warbird racing for 20 years now. I have performed every workers’ task (Starter/Flight-line Directer, Starter helper, Statistician, Timer, Cage Worker, Cook, Safety Inspector, etc.), as well as that of a CD; and 11 years as a competitor.

As your initial post has asked this thread to be a “think tank from each of [us]”, know that I do have some thoughts regarding marketing this effectively towards the target market, once potentially ready to present to Muncie. But as this would be long-term, and dependent upon this initial effort’s success, I wouldn’t want to pull focus away from much more immediate efforts.

Should you like to talk more directly about how I might be of assistance, I will email you with my contact information.

Ollie

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
There are a lot of other pilots viewing this thread so feel free to post your racers and let them see what we race.
This is a sampling of some of the models I design, build, and race:
Custom design, 1/8th scale composite P-39s

1/9th scale composite P-51, dedicated to the memory of Jimmy Leeward

Name:	P-39, Landing.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	2052561   Click image for larger version

Name:	'The Ghost', front right.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	704.9 KB
ID:	2052562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24358.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2052571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3919.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	2052572  

Last edited by Iron Dog; 12-05-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:47 AM
speedracerntrixie

You guys are off your rockers. We all know what the fastest airplane looks like. Trophy not included but easily obtainable.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2052638  
Old 12-06-2014, 09:52 AM
MFLOOD3800

Nice planes gents... I do plan on using as many of use I can. Your reward will be down the road knowing your efforts had a major part of this event becoming a NATS event. 20 yrs from now you will be sitting around a table talking to young racers at Muncie who are jazzed about warbird racing for a national title and you will sit back nd smile and remember days before it was even an event.

I have reached out to the RCPRO group as well and have received several emails back from them wishing to offer help. How can this not succeed with this type of networking.

Shawn, that is a nice looking non mustang, but I think we all know, when it comes to muscle cars, there is only really one - MUSTANG
I appreciate all you SAMS guys, and glad we got to meet. Thx to Verano for hooking us up.

My early thoughts in next post to keep this one from being too long..........................
Old 12-06-2014, 09:59 AM
MFLOOD3800

I like the original RCPRO rules and SAMS current rules with the exception:

Why not open the 2 stroke engine size up to match the 4 stroke.

As far as a field BJ can you reach out to the group in Lodi and ask them for us and if they seem receptive,if so ll make contact.
Thx for the idea!!

Im looking at end of Oct or first part of Nov. But this doesnt have to be in stone.
Do any of you have a more preferable date?

RCPRO is still racing in OCT ( at Speedworld) and in Dec at (TIMPA in Tucson). But if I wait too long it just gets cold and rainy in Cali.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
I like the original RCPRO rules and SAMS current rules with the exception:

Im looking at end of Oct or first part of Nov. But this doesnt have to be in stone.
Do any of you have a more preferable date?

RCPRO is still racing in OCT ( at Speedworld) and in Dec at (TIMPA in Tucson). But if I wait too long it just gets cold and rainy in Cali.
The SAM guys will know more after our Events Scheduling meeting in a week and a half, but traditionally, our series has been completed by the end of September or early October. The weather in CA is generally more reliable, the earlier in the Fall season you'd be able to make it. It is pretty rare to see rain (at least in northern CA) before Halloween. For such a big event, and likely a two-dayer (?), I'd think we'd want to play the odds to our favor.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:04 PM
MFLOOD3800

Definately need the odds in our favor. I also like racing in warm weather vs cold. This will definately be a 2 day race to make travel worth while for long distancers.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:34 PM
MFLOOD3800

The Fast guys sorry Shawn

Name:	Team JR.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	2052718  
Old 12-06-2014, 05:09 PM
speedracerntrixie

Well Marty, how about adding an all out speed challenge to the event. A guy gets 3 passes by a radar gun. Then we would know fore sure that the Italian Macchi was king of the hill. You Know Italian like in Ferarri. Muscle car vs. Super car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.