Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

SAMs VALLEY OF SPEED II, Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 2nd

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

SAMs VALLEY OF SPEED II, Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SAMs VALLEY OF SPEED II, Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 2nd

Happy Easter, everyone!

Initially, I wanted to hold off on the announcement, until Kimo's Big Kahuna Memorial Warbird Race was over, but JR told me that many of you wanted more information, now; so here it goes:

Sacramento Area Modelers
VALLEY OF SPEED II Scale Warbird Race is in four months. It is everything you have come to love about racing at SAMs, with just a little something extra. In addition to the usual cash and trophies, there will be airplane kits and additional prizes awarded in every bracket.

The event flyer, registration form, and the
S.A.M. Series Warbird Racing event rules can be found attached, below; as well as on the SAM website (http://www.sacramento-rc-flyers.org). I will also have registration forms at next weekend's Big Kahuna race.

Once again . . .
"Gentlemen, you are on the clock . . . ", so get those planes ready, and get some practice in, 'cause you won't want to miss this one!

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Ollie

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Valley of Speed II, flyer, 3-column JPG copy.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2086143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valley of Speed II, flyer, 3-column JPG copy.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	551.8 KB
ID:	2086180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valley of Speed II, registration form, JPG copy.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	536.3 KB
ID:	2086185  
Attached Files

Last edited by Iron Dog; 04-03-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:39 AM
Iron Dog

The excitement is just under three weeks away!

There’s plenty of extra goodies for pilots who make the podium at this race:

Tim Stafford and his 8th Scale Aviation is very generously donating 3 very high-quality laser-cut kits:
The Me209 like the one you have watched Jake build within these threads:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scal...versation.html
and http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scal...ld-thread.html

The Tsunami that Airraptor (Jeff) has been racing for awhile now, and built within this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scal...ami-build.html

The Ta152 that Tim detailed in this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scal...ly-videos.html

Iron Dog Air Racing has donated 3 Speed Wing kits, as detailed here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scal...peed-wing.html

And, the ever-generous Richard Verano and YS Parts and Service have of course donated half-off YS Engine Certificates.

Where else do you find a one-day warbird race with this kind of pay-out?

I hope you will join us on August 2nd.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:56 PM
JPGale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My yellow mustang wing is back together, just needs a test flight. The new landing gear is almost done on the Voodoo, not only will I be there but I will there with 2 planes.

See you soon

Bulldog.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:00 PM
The YoungGun

very happy to hear Ollie, can't wait for this race!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:24 PM
The YoungGun

very happy to hear Ollie, can't wait for this race!
Old 07-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Iron Dog

Eric, we'll try to get you one of these, this time around:

Bulldog, sorry about the loss of your plane at the last race. Glad you have a back-up for this one. I think you are overdue for some good Juju. Perhaps this is in your (very-near) future:
(However, I only promised to let you beat me at the last race. No running slow, this time; my FockeWulf will be back in its element, back here in Sacramento. And, there seems to be this tradition of the CDs winning their first race; and beings I didn't race at all during the initial VALLEY OF SPEED, I'd like to think that maybe it's in my future, instead? I can't wait to battle you once again, my friend. I guess I better start practicing!

I heard that Airraptor plans on hoarding ALL of Tim's kits and thinks that he can take this one . . .

. . . and that this "Man with a plan" thinks he can sweep the other two classes, as well. We've seen pilots racing two classes win them both before. It would be very interesting to see if he can finally pull off a clean-sweep.

Name:	VoS II Plaque, 1st Bronze, PDF copy, reduced.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	2109042   Click image for larger version

Name:	VoS II Plaque, 1st Gold, JPG copy, reduced.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	2109043   Click image for larger version

Name:	VoS II Plaque, 1st Silver, JPG copy, reduced.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	2109044  
Old 07-14-2015, 02:14 PM
JPGale

Originally Posted by Iron Dog

Bulldog, sorry about the loss of your plane at the last race. Glad you have a back-up for this one. I think you are overdue for some good Juju. Perhaps this is in your (very-near) future:
(However, I only promised to let you beat me at the last race. No running slow, this time; my FockeWulf will be back in its element, back here in Sacramento. And, there seems to be this tradition of the CDs winning their first race; and beings I didn't race at all during the initial VALLEY OF SPEED, I'd like to think that maybe it's in my future, instead? I can't wait to battle you once again, my friend. I guess I better start practicing!
I plan on going home with one of them. The damage to the crashed plane was not too bad a simple fix. I was doing well at Redding until Sunday, but this time the fuel tank will not be in sideways and I will not run out of fuel. My main concern is going to be running out of fuel.

It is always good to have great battles, I missed racing JR at Redding, there are a few names that I see in heats and think to myself this is going to be a good one.

Bulldog
Old 07-14-2015, 07:32 PM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

Well, regardless of the heat, I (and my salsa) will be at this one. Since I got a bronze plane that I initially built for Redding race sitting collecting dust I will be going dual-class. Double my chances fior winning one of Timmy's kits! Plus It is evident that Dr. Death needs my superior calling skills for this upcoming race if he intends to stay in contention for overall Silver. This should be a fun race!
Old 07-14-2015, 08:40 PM
Iron Dog

Yes . . . you, your salsa, and your clearly superior calling skills were deeply missed at Redding! See what happens when you aren't with me/us . . . everything falls apart! Don't do that again!

So glad you are going to be at this one, Jake. Can't wait to see the Me209 prototype in-action!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:35 PM
tdstaf
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ollie,
Kit parts are ordered and I'm working on the plastic parts and printing plans..
Old 07-15-2015, 01:50 PM
JPGale

Tim,

Out of interest do you have a list of kits you have and a price list, I love mustangs and spitfires but there are some other planes that it may be fun to race at some point.

James
Old 07-15-2015, 03:56 PM
Iron Dog

Originally Posted by tdstaf
Ollie,
Kit parts are ordered and I'm working on the plastic parts and printing plans..
Outstanding! I can't thank you enough, my friend.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:08 PM
tdstaf
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

James,
There are the three already mentioned
Ta 152 H $ 220.00
Tsutonami $ 200.00
Me 209 v 4 $ 190.00

Next in line are
F 8F Bearcat and its race counter parts conversions. (These are almost complete.)
Conquest 1
Rare Bear

Working on. (These the canopy and cowl plugs almost complete.)
Ki 61
Ki 100

Next in line are.
He 100 D
Czech Mate
Spiteful
P 51 A
Me 109 G
N1K2 George
And many more I would like to do

I have no idea on price until I get the cost for laser work for each of these but should be in the $ 160.00 to $200.00 range

Tim
Old 07-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Iron Dog

Originally Posted by JPGale
Tim,

Out of interest do you have a list of kits you have and a price list, I love mustangs and spitfires but there are some other planes that it may be fun to race at some point.

James

Well James, you are definitely talking to the right guy, then! Tim has the three kits I mentioned previously, plus he's been working very diligently on a few others. He showed me plans, plugs for canopies, etc. To get to see what he is working on, when I go visit him, almost makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. I'll let him discuss which planes and answer your questions about all of the other stuff, however . . .

(I will say this much: When you are ready, I want three right now: the "Czechmate", "Rare Bear", and that smaller-scale Ta 152, Tim!!!)

OOPS! Tim beat me to the post by a few seconds!

Last edited by Iron Dog; 07-15-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 PM
JPGale

Originally Posted by Iron Dog
Well James, you are definitely talking to the right guy, then! Tim has the three kits I mentioned previously, plus he's been working very diligently on a few others. He showed me plans, plugs for canopies, etc. To get to see what he is working on, when I go visit him, almost makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. I'll let him discuss which planes and answer your questions about all of the other stuff, however . . .

(I will say this much: When you are ready, I want three right now: the "Czechmate", "Rare Bear", and that smaller-scale Ta 152, Tim!!!)

OOPS! Tim beat me to the post by a few seconds!
Yea looks interesting, I like the idea of the bearcat, spiteful, me109 and others.

Thanks for the info Tim.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:37 PM
pjakew

Just Registered! A Week and a half to go...
Old 07-29-2015, 05:44 PM
pjakew

Making salsa tomorrow. Sure is quiet up in here....
Old 07-29-2015, 09:50 PM
Iron Dog

Originally Posted by pjakew
Just Registered! A Week and a half to go...

Making salsa tomorrow. Sure is quiet up in here....

They may be unusually quiet, Jake, but don't worry. You're in good company.

I'd like to thank the 26 pilots that have already taken the time to PRE-register. There are still many more that I know are coming, that have yet to register, so we are off to a great start!

The workers and prizes are confirmed . . .

The forecasts show a slight cooling trend coming for the weekend, so temps will be at the seasonal average range . . .

. . . and, oh yeah, Jake . . . As usual, I'll have plenty to complement your salsa, as I'll be putting the drink menu together and going shopping, tomorrow.

Should be a very fun and successful event.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:15 PM
pjakew

It is official...

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	2111954  
Old 07-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Iron Dog

It is official...
You're not teasing me again, are you, Jake?

I seem to remember this post from your last race:
Had fun and the competition was stiff. Lessons learned:

1: Use sunblock.
2: Bring salsa.
3. Listen to my caller.
4. Bring salsa
5. Bribe Kimo [the CD]
6. And lastly…[take care of my caller by] bringing [enough] salsa [for him to actually enjoy some, too. ]

That about covers the checklist.

It's possible that I might be paraphrasing a bit by the time I get to point #6, but that still sounds about right to me.

(You gotta take care of your caller, CD, bartender, and the guy who always makes sure you have a table reserved. Oh wait . . . those are each me.
Hmmm . . . )
Old 07-30-2015, 08:06 PM
Iron Dog

29 entries, and still counting!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:57 PM
pjakew

Oh don't worry Ollie I got a container of salsa just for you and the wifey. Just in case there are some photo finishes in some of the heats I need to have you swing in my favor
Old 07-31-2015, 08:55 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Glad I went out and took a practice flight today. Although I comfortably flew a 1:24 I noticed when fueling up that there seemed to be a restriction in the line. It just took too much effort to crank the pump. After bringing the airplane home and pulling the tank out I found debris in the fill line. Replaced the line and flushed out the filter, should be good to go. I also found some hairline cracks around the forward wing hold down hard points. Sanded away the paint, added a 1/8" ply peice to the LE center and bagged some CF cloth over the affected area. The gremlins are in check and I'm looking forward to a smooth race.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:02 PM
Iron Dog

Thanks, Jake!

Didn't realize you were coming out early . . . Sorry I missed you, today.

The latest update, everyone:

We are up to 35 pilots PRE-registered, with some waiting until tomorrow to finally register, and more that I hear are coming, as well as some of the "regulars" that have yet to register. I think it is safe to say that we should have at least 40 entries. The max number of entries is 50; so as we are approaching this amount, I would highly encourage you to PRE-register to reserve your spot, if you have yet to do so -- especially if you are driving a significant distance to get here.

Weather forecasts are looking even better than before. The triple digits are gone; and the latest forecast dropped the expected temperature another 4 degrees, so we should be 3 degrees BELOW seasonal averages, with a high of only 91.

I am personally very excited that David Lloyd is coming up to join us. It is always great to share this with yet another one of our RCPro "brothers". Lawrence Tougas is also trying to make it. Some long-lost members will be assisting us, and other long-last SAM friends called to tell me they will be spectating. Furthermore, I'm hearing second-hand that Richard V is coming up with David, so I'm hoping this is accurate. Now, if Marty's schedule miraculously freed up too, and he joins us as well, I'll truly be "over-the-moon." (You did hear that, right Marty? No pressure . . . just 'cause you're kinda in the "miracle business.")

Here is the final Sponsor Listing on the Event Flyer:

A HUGE "thank you" to all the sponsors! Between their generous support, and so many pilot entries, this promises to be a great event.

With so many pilots competing, I can't believe the lack of customary pre-race "Smack Talk."
(I guess all you Silver pilots have all given up trying to get in my head, and are just content with me making it a THREE-FER, here as SAMs? Well . . . Okay. Sounds great to me! )

In all seriousness, best of luck to e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e. And, I hope you'll stick around for the BBQ tomorrow evening. (That may be my only chance to slow down long enough to enjoy your company to its fullest.)

Ollie

Name:	Valley of Speed II, flyer, FINAL, JPG.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	591.5 KB
ID:	2112164  
Old 07-31-2015, 09:10 PM
Iron Dog

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Glad I went out and took a practice flight today. Although I comfortably flew a 1:24 I noticed when fueling up that there seemed to be a restriction in the line. It just took too much effort to crank the pump. After bringing the airplane home and pulling the tank out I found debris in the fill line. Replaced the line and flushed out the filter, should be good to go. I also found some hairline cracks around the forward wing hold down hard points. Sanded away the paint, added a 1/8" ply peice to the LE center and bagged some CF cloth over the affected area. The gremlins are in check and I'm looking forward to a smooth race.
Glad that at least the fuel system was easy, Shawn. Out of curiosity, did it appear to be gummed-up fuel, like we talked about earlier today; or completely foreign debris?

I'm impressed with how quickly you got all the other work done. (You can be my Pit Crew-Chief, anytime!​)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.