Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Toolbox recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:57 AM
spencer321
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toolbox recomendations

Im looking to put together a tool box for when i start to go out and race. What would you recomend be in the toolbox?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:25 AM
wrstew
My Feedback: (30)

Default RE: Toolbox recomendations

The best I've seen is at Jett Engineering, go to Tech and Instructions, click Crap Trap, and you'll see a great listing of "stuff" you might need all layed out in a logical order. Good luck, Randy
Old 07-23-2009, 12:07 PM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

I have one of these PDY System toolboxes and it works great. Check out the website.

http://www.pdysystems.com/

A lot of guys in the hobby are getting these things. There was a guy here in the classifieds who sold them cheaper than the company so see it he is still sellling these things.
Hope to see you out racing next week at SAMS.

Jake
Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: spencer321

Im looking to put together a tool box for when i start to go out and race. What would you recomend be in the toolbox?
Spencer321,

For a race day I bring my normal tool box and I also assemble some extras. So to start let's go over my normal set up......

tool box......... screw drivers, ball drivers, wrenches, hobby knife, etc, plugs, props, and some Medium and Thin CA.
I also bring my parts box........ nuts, bolts, extra horns, YS parts etc.... etc
Both of the above stay in my car normaly since I have a self contained flight box that holds a screw driver, fuel jug, power panel, battery and pump with a glow driver, tach and battery charger..... less to lug in and out of the car if everything goes well (note on race day since we have to move the cars I unpack everything and place it under the work benches).

So that it what I normally bring out with of course the plane(s) and radio. To that for race day I add an additional tool box containing.... a small amount of wood, covering, covering iron, drill, dremel w/tools, epoxy, also I bring a small parts box with replacement spinner, retracts, servos, and a full assortment of engine parts.

Over kill? Maybe, but there have been times where I've still been short something. It's better to be prepared than to be short handed and miss a heat.

If you're at the next race, ask and I can show you my set up. From there you decide just how much you want to lug around on race day.

Jimmy Skids
Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 PM
spencer321

do you bring stuff from your building place? such as your dremel or do you have 2 dremels. like should i buy 1 set of tools for building and 1 set of tools for the field or what.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:45 PM
spencer321

also my p-51 is almost done im trying to get it finished before the race so i can give it a go...but on the off chance it is not ready i will be out there regardless. Also will there be someone there i could talk to about joining SAMs i looked on the website for the info on joining and it is a great deal since i am under the age of 18 i only have to pay 10 bucks till im 18 then i have to pay the full member price. soo see yall out there
Old 07-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only have one set tools. To buy multiple dremels, etc would be money taken away from RC purchases. I have my work shop set up so that I can work right out of the same tool box I take to the field. That way I only need one set of tools. I can explain at SAMS. Try to get that bird finished up for Sunday and come hang out.
Skids
Old 07-23-2009, 10:26 PM
spencer321

ok what time should i be out there sunday?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:01 AM
spencer321

any other tool box suggetions
Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 AM
spencer321

does anyone know of any specialty tool boxes like the PDY systems?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Go to your local sporting goods store and take a look at the tackleboxes. I have a huge Plano that I bought about 15 years ago. I keep all of my hobby specific tools in it along with some small parts.

I also have a small Rubbermaid tub with tools, props and plugs that are for specific planes. I bring the tub and my toolbox to the race. Usually the toolbox stays in the truck and I only use the tools in the tub. These tools are usually hemostats, prop wrenches, allen wrench for the spinner etc.

There are lots of ways to accomplish what you're after. You just need to decide what works for you.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
spencer321

ok well when im out at the race on sunday next week ill check all that stuff out.