Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

What CAD/Scratch build projects are u working on?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

What CAD/Scratch build projects are u working on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 03:03 PM
LGEdge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What CAD/Scratch build projects are u working on?

Scorpianjack

I don't now anything about this.
What is this all about.
Old 04-28-2002, 03:16 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Minot, ND: 24 & 25 August 02, "the international" Minot Aircraft Modelers Annual Fun Fly . This year John Beech of Modelsport Video Magazine will be at the international Taping the weekend action for a Modelsport Video Magazine Article. Remember last years Friday Night Bonfire with Live Entertainment, Saturday evening meal, Sunday morning Breakfast, and open flying all weekend - All back again this year. The doorprize committee has been busy all year just so everyone will go home with something special. The MAM Flying Field will be open Friday the 23rd, and for those making it a camping weekend there are electrical hookups for 30+ units and room for more than more than twice that many campers. For maps to the MAM Flying Field and more information about Minot Aircraft Modelers check out our Website at www.minotaircraftmodelers.com

You can call me if you like, I have a 5 Bedroom place and a 52 Ft Workshop if you need a place during that week end.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:30 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with TeeDee for scratch Delta

Hey DickeyBird, I have the delta described in the earlier post almost done. My difficulty is in the fuel tank. I plan to use the little film can tank that you showed me. I have several clear fuji film cases. I have taken one and drilled the apropriate holes in the 'bottom' of one of the cases, and inserted the brass tubing with the fuel tube 'seals'. The part that I have not figured out is how to seal the cap end. What kind of sealant did you use to seal the cap end of the tank?

Hope to see you at the field this weekend.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:56 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Fuji Tanks

Jeremy,

I just snap the cap on without any sealant at all and haven't had any leak problems. I drill the holes in the other end with sharpened 3/16" brass tubing, press in a couple short pieces of the pink medium Sullivan tubing, & press in the 3/32" brass feed & vent tubes....works great!

Yup, wish I had time to fly, still working on the twin! I finally got the H/stab-elevator about finished last weekend....the linkage for the twin rudders was giving me fits getting it all working smoothly and hopefully reliably. (Pic attached)

Go fast, turn left?? How 'bout: bank & yank!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10032_7026.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	6086  
Old 05-11-2002, 03:26 AM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I can help you Jack... Just send me some pics.... and dimentions.

Originally posted by Scorpionjack
DB;
Do you know anyone that can give me a hand on laying out a CAD drawing of an aircraft stand? I'm having a heck of a time with TurboCad. I have a series of 9 photo's actually more than that. That I need to make into a Cad drawing. I can Email the pictures to someone that can help.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2002, 12:59 PM
Scorpionjack

Paul;
Thanks I have W.C helping me right now. He's doing just a great job of getting everything into a commercial Plan ready for me.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:52 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Hi guys!

I finally got enough done on the "Twin Lizzie 2" that I could stick all the pieces together and see what she's going to look like when she's done. Man, I'm tired of gluing sticks together....I'm ready to cover!

Name:	11016_7026.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	6087  
Old 05-13-2002, 11:53 AM
DICKEYBIRD

'Nuther pic:

Name:	11017_7026.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	6088  
Old 05-13-2002, 11:54 AM
DICKEYBIRD

1 more:

Name:	11018_7026.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	6089  
Old 05-13-2002, 12:16 PM
Scorpionjack

DB;
That is some intricate work your doing! Great job. Reminds me of the Old days with Guillows.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:58 PM
PaulSwany

Milton....

Man... That's a lot of stinking sticks!!! Awesome work... what covering are you using?
Old 05-13-2002, 03:55 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Hi Paul,

Yup, plenty of sticks....I've never been accused of not doing my fair share of depleting the world's stock of little balsa sticks!

It's being covered with transparent MonoKote in the pre WWII trainer scheme: yellow on all the flying surfaces, blue on the fuse and nacelles, 13 horizontal red/white bars with 1 vertical blue stripe on rudders, early style roundels on the wing, cowls painted with Lustercoat Aluminum. Yeah, I know, that scheme has been overdone but that's the picture that came along with the little voices in my head when this project was conceived.

Man, I'm a'hankerin' to get her finished and into the air so I can get my so-called-life back to normal!!

Milton
Old 05-16-2002, 12:27 AM
matchlessaero

Default My SpiderDelta

Well, I finished it!!!!!!!! (actually 2 weekends ago).
Below is my little SpiderDelta. I drew the plans on my CAD program over the winter. My wife thought I should name it the spider because its framework looked somewhat like a spider's web.

It flies exactly as I had hoped. The speed range is very wide. It will float along at idle and perform aerobatics right over the runway. I can also give it full throttle and keep up with most of the faster sport planes at the field. Vertical performance is truly out of sight. Inverted performance is also pretty good requiring little backpressure. On a climb and glide I am getting over 2 minute glides.

On its maiden flight, the friend I entrusted to launch it was scared to death, but it truly flew out of his hands with the slightest toss.
I will be taking this plane to the SMALL festival with me.

DickeyBird, Thanks for the help with the engine(the one I had on the Cub) and with the tank. With the film canister tank I easily get flights in the 10 minute range.
I love the pics of your twinLizzie, If you test fly it one of the next Sunday mornings, let me know and I will be there!

Name:	11236_1630.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	6090  
Old 05-16-2002, 11:28 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Spider

So I guess you want us to call you "SpiderMan" now, eh?

Seriously, that's one great looking plane Jeremy! I like your spar layout. How much does it weigh; what is the wing area and what airfoils did you use?

Man, I'm struggling with the 'Lizzie.....work is chaotic right now and I can't seem to get enough time to get "over the hump" with it!

I'll let you know when she's ready to test hop.

Milton
Old 05-17-2002, 12:57 AM
matchlessaero

Default Spider plane.....

Thanks DickeyBird!!

I am not sure what it weighs (dont have a scale), but I am guessing it is around 10-13 oz's. I used the MH62 flying wing airfoil from Martin Hepperle. The wing area is approx 260 inches square. I was very careful to build up the elevons to match the airfoil.

The TEEDEE I picked up the other day has the crank with a hole in it instead of a slash cut. I think you had mentioned that this engine may respond to throttling better than a cut crank. Did I remember this right?

I look forward to seeing your Lizzie fly!
Old 05-17-2002, 11:23 AM
Kraut
My Feedback: (1)

Designed and scratched this sport scale stang recently. It's about 20 hours worth of work, with about $8-$10 in materials. Fuselage is Coroplast over gutterpipe, the rest is all Coroplast. The beauty of it is no covering and already fuel proof, as the coro comes in grey and red...flies like a trainer! Slowest landing stang I've ever seen! Plans on the net at www.spad.org

Old 05-17-2002, 12:32 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Holy Crankshaft, CoxMan!

I couldn't resist the "Super Hero" slant, Spider Man!

Actually, if it be havin' a hole in the crank, it be a Medallion. I have 2 that I converted by installing a TD carb. housing so I could install a bushed down .062" TD venturi to get more suction at lower speeds to pull the big lumber (7x3.5).

If you got an engine with a holy crank and a TD front end, I better go look & see if some pervert raided my engine box! Seriously though, if you wanna swap cranks, let me know, I may have a spare TD crank.

Milton

ps: Have you been to the new 1/2A forum here on RCU? It's cookin' man!
Old 06-26-2002, 11:41 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Default It's gonna be pure Havoc at my house....

....cuz' according to the wife, I'm getting that far away look in my eyes again! I stumbled across a 3 view of a Douglas A-20 and noticed that the nacelles & cowlings are very, very close to the shape of the ones I built for the "Twin Lizzie 2" which worked out great. Just a little reshaping of the rear blocks and some fiddling of the wing "saddle" blocks to accomodate the tapered wing and that normally pesky designing job's done!

The solid nose version with the guns would be easier to do than the glassed in version, just another carved & hollowed block. The dihedralled h/stab feature has GOT to be easier than the twin rudder setup on the 'Lizzie....the rear turret should be a piece of cake for the heat shrunk soda-bottle method.

I found a site with very detailed 3 views of the A-20 and have downloaded them & started the raster/vector tracing before the desire fades. http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/a20g.html

Man it all looks so easy. (Yeah, RIGHT!)

Name:	15608_7026.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	6091  
Old 06-26-2002, 04:06 PM
PaulSwany

Wow... Can't wait to see this one fly... Looks awesome...