Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Scratch build McDonnell XP-67

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scratch build McDonnell XP-67

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 09:26 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

LOL! OK get your mind out of the gutter this a family forum!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:19 AM
Mms_citrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been experimenting with some different foam core layups. Making new cloth templates etc. ordered a bigger vacuum pump. Expanding my work area. Ordered some different honeycomb coring material. Made a bunch of mold repairs. Just little stuff while I wait on more supplies and equipment.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

Isn't amazing how projects like this snowball?

Mike
Old 03-25-2018, 06:38 AM
Mms_citrus

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Isn't amazing how projects like this snowball?

Mike
yup. Stuff I’ll need eventually anyway. Been working on some furniture projects lately. Went to Florida jets yesterday. I’m reinvigorated. Have to finish the furniture stuff but I’ll be starting up shortly.
My new radios and batteries and receivers have arrived. I got a turnigy 9xr pro mode 1 for 22 bucks. Swapped it over to mode 2. And I decided to use orange receivers and the Telemetry module. Bought 2 9 channel receivers for future use. 18 bucks each. I’ve been messing around with the radio and I’m going to do some ergonomic mods. It’s a little big for my hands. Thumb sticks are too long too. Overall tho seems like a very nice radio for practically no money. I updated the firmware to the open source stuff. Going to take Mel a long time to learn how to use all these features. I doubt I ever I’ll use some of them. I’ll post all of this stuff here.
I saw some of the graupmer radios at the jet show. Really nice. They got one, can’t remember the model a 24 something. Awesome ergonomics, for me at least. Touch screen. Comes with a nice hard case a 8channel, and 2-6 channel receivers, and 5k mah battery. For 399. Maybe cheaper somewhere. I was thoroughly impressed.

Last edited by Mms_citrus; 03-25-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:16 PM
Mms_citrus

KPRogress. I think i may have messed up my vacuum bag. I applied too much resin and although I’m put 3 layers of saturation material I still got some bleed thru to the vacuum bag in a couple area. This coring material soaks up a ton of resin then I think it gets compressed out. I think I’ll have to just layer a bunch more material in the future.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:04 PM
Mms_citrus

So vacuum bag doesn’t really stick to resin. Score 1for me. I had a couple spots where the breather material got a little stuck for some reason, but that will be ok. I think the bag is usable. I’ll vacum test it tomorrow before I lay up the bottom half. Just having a quick glance at the mold, when I pulled them out of the bag, I’m really excited. The wings pulled up a bit and it’s still warm so it’s a teeny bit flexible, I could see the surface and it looked pretty nice. I can’t wait to pee
the ply off and look at them tomorrow. So much more work than I could have anticipated but I’m feeling like I’m finally over the initial learning curve.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:52 AM
Mms_citrus

Problems lol. So I need to do a bit more research. I used way too much resin. Breather material maybe isn’t for absorbing resin? I had so much resin in this that it saturated the breather cloth and hardened into a thick layer. Couldn’t peel the stuff off. Peel ply was stuck because it had this thick layer hardened over it. So, I too the grinder and a flapper disk and ground a whole mess of excess resin off. Down until the red line in the peel ply started to show brightly. 6.2oz per upper half. And it’s stiff. I’m very happy. I damaged the one part trying to peel the peel ply up, so I did the repair. Added a small section to stiffen an area in each half and put them back in the bag so they bond well. The exterior surfaces of the parts came out really good. So...I am going to make the bottom tomorrow probably. I am going to use way way way less resin and see how I comes out. I think part of my problem was that I did 2 oz then this core material and I didn’t do another layer of glass so maybe the peel ply peels off glass better. I dunno. But I will do the extra glass layer on the bottom and see how it comes out.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:15 PM
Mms_citrus

I’m very impressed with vacuum bagging. Makes excellent repairs. Parts came out really good. Have to do a little more trimming.i added a bit of foam to the ailerons.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:29 AM
FlyerInOKC

Congratulations!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:20 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Definitely an "Ooh Ahh" moment.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:12 AM
sudstad