Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

CAD at Home

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:47 PM
skychief666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAD at Home

1. TurboCad v3.0
2. TurboCad v9.0
3. QuickCad v?
4. Compufoil full version
5. ModelCad v?
6 AutoCad Lite
I like them all but AutoCad will open more .dxf files that any other cad program I own. Just wish I could find time to learn AutoCad to it's full extent.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:25 AM
TomJacoby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TurboCAD 7.1
Closeout store
Barely familiar.

CoosBayLumber - thanks for all the CAD help - I always learn from your posts!
Old 10-28-2003, 08:35 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Oops....yup, full version of CompuFoil for me as well. Can't live without it!
Old 10-28-2003, 09:44 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

DIDKEYBIRD:

I have TurboCAD version three loaded up onto my old 486. Sad to say, I have grown "Improficient" in the use. I have forgotten most of the commands, due to running ACAD for past six years now. I think it was obsoleted,in that it did not communicate with a plotter that I brought in at the time, and ACAD readily did. It still works, but the operator just can't remember to unconfuse the command structure to get anything done.

I have some old, but still operative CAD software around here, should anyone want to make me a low cost deal on them. They do not communicate with modern plotters and digitizers that run with Windows. You would thus have to run an old H-P Laser2 printer, or maybe a dot-matrix printer.

Wm.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:54 AM
CoosBayLumber

Tom J.

There is yet lots more to be learned I now find. After twenty years at the keyboard, as you may have found there is no magic bullet to placing lines down in CAD. You have to establish a routine you like, then stick with it untill at some point you are 60-70% proficient.

My neighbor has TC 7. I get so confused with the slight variance in command termonology between it and Acad. I often go through his manual looking for a translation, but find no equavalent. I know it will do it, as we can interchange drawings easily. They should have structured the manual like Icad did, and put a translation section into the manual.

Would be most interested in your views on how to solve some of the drawing problems in TC language here. I hear via IMSA, that they are going to continue support and development of the DesignCAD line. Just last month they were going to drop the line. Maybe they ought to drop the ModelCAD section.

Wm.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:00 AM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

What drawing problems are there in the TC language?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:18 AM
CoosBayLumber

There are no interchange problems between drawings, it is in the keyboard command structure that I develop the confusion. One system we use offset, and another is it called "Parallel" and when you go back into the index, you cannot find either term it seems. However, I know TC will do it. In one system there is a Node, in the other it is called a POINT. And, so many other dual terms are used.

I use Master CAD-CAM also, and it is yet another whole set of terms there too. Much faster and simplier for me to run in ACAD, and then import the drawings into the other systems. I know then what I expect to see.

Wm.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:32 AM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

Oh yeah now i get you, when i first started using TC ,i looked all around for a delete function to delete a part of a drawing. In TC it is called Clear.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:46 AM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

I currently have turbocad v9, which I have upgraded I think from v7, in a couple of steps. I was quite disappointed in the documentation available from v7. Currently it is much better, with a decent manual and online help. However, the program is still buggy - either that or I don't understand when it shifts into new modes. For example, sometimes the snap function stops working and I need to save and restart the program to get it back. I'd say I'm probably 25% proficient wrt all the commands, but I do quite well with the ones I need consistently. Here's the custom bashed tailplane sections that I started with profili and imported to TC9. It started as a single NACA009 section with skin and LE, I cut and modified to get a shortened tip section while maintaining the same profile from the thick point back. Took a couple minutes, once I figured out what I wanted to do:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35684.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	70667  
Old 10-29-2003, 09:21 AM
CoosBayLumber

CANADA....

Likewise. On yet another system we have "Delete" and in ACAD it is Erase. You cannot interchange the words to get the proper function. I will try the CLEAR function next time the neighbor has a question. Must be some other CAD system out there with a "Bleep it Out" button.

Johng

Oh, wrong. Can't be more of a buggy CAD software than the original Intellicad. You had to SAVE after every fourth command, as the next command you issued may lock up everything. Never could get the Chamfer or Radaii function to work three times in a row without locking up.

Wm.