Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

How to calculate wing area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 10:51 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to calculate wing area?

Yes, you can use the average of the chords for each wing panel: (assuming a straight LE and TE...)

Add the tip chord and root chord, then multiply by the span of the panel. Assuming there is a matching panel on the opposite side... you now have the area of the 2 panels. (you skip 2 steps this way... the averaging and addition of 2 panels is combined in this)

It gets a lot more complicated when you deal with eliptical wings such as on a Spitfire...
Old 06-20-2002, 04:22 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Default A Little Help

There is an article on my web page under the Helps and Tips section that gives tips on calculating wing areas for different shaped wings. Take a look at that and it will probably help. Note that the calculations laid out for one wing. The reason is that it was originally written as an aid to those using the old Dave Brown RCFS to input data. It will work for anything except for elliptical wings, which are far more difficult to calculate.

Howard
Old 06-20-2002, 12:36 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Default Sorry, no

I don't have anything about washout. Maybe one day when I get rich and can quit my job , I will add all the suggested "goodies" to my web page.

Howard