Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Scratch building 105" WS S Connie L-1049 (Pics added)

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scratch building 105" WS S Connie L-1049 (Pics added)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Scratch building 105" W/S Super connie L-1049 G

I just noticed something with tip airfoil on CF-TGE's tip fuel tank and what i have been told by few, i dont see tip being NACA 4412 according to the picture of real one....please check it out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97366.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	509767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61918.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	509768  
Old 08-20-2006, 02:49 AM
Props4ever

Center vertical stab and rudder are built, i did these couple hrs ago., I built center vertical stab first by laminating 2 x 1/4" sheets to make 1/2" thick and then using templete of leading edge to cut out the leading edge and then the trailing edge form the laminated sheet, once these parts were made, then i used rib templates to cut out 4 diferent sized ribs and glued everything togather as on plans, once i did vertical stab then i used rudder template to cut out rudder from remaining laminated 1/2" sheet. All i have to do now is to sheet the sides of vertical shab and sand leading edge in to "V" shape and same goes for the rudder.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Props4ever

I got some more work done last night, i traced all the ribs for both outer vertical stab's and cut the from 3/32 sheet, i also made nose retract rails from 3/16th aircraft ply and test fitted then on former F2 and F3, they fit nice and tight. I i needed more stength on nose retract raisl the i'll cut couple more strips of same thickness and epoxy them on top of present rails.

Last night i was mentioned by my friemd that he accidently have lost all the pictures we took from starting the project, well those are gone now but i had another friend over who took some current pictures and i will post them tonight after i recieve them so pls stay tuned for pictures...

Name:	Us53741.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	510830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88278.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	510831   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26090.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	510832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56338.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	510833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr92123.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	510834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja41659.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	510835  
Old 08-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Props4ever

Current Pictures added, unfortunately as mentioned in above post, i can not provide pictures from the beginning of this project, its sad for everybody specially for me as i really wanted to document this project fully with pictures....I hope you guys like these current pictures and i want to thank my buddy Dave Verbatic for taking these for me....Very much appreciated Budd
Old 08-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Props4ever

Hi Guys,

You must be wondering what happened to me, well i have some on going problem with my phone line currently so i have to come to local library for the internet use.

Since last posted message, with the help of Mike Emilio, i have cut out the wing saddle with 1.5 degrees of positive incidence, once that was cut i epoxied formers on the wing saddle and nose areas to the fuselage pieces with nose retract rails. When this was all dried we both attached front, center and aft fuselage sections and glued them togather, now i have one complete fuselage glued togather and we checked it with laser to make sure everything lined up stright in line, which it did. Yesterday is did some block sanding to it and some filling job, some more is needed which i will do one of these days. I will also cut wing cores at my other friend Ted's place next week....

I will post following pictures as soon as my own PC is up and running.

Aero,

I went and took more pictures of our Connie here in TO, well wing tip's airfoils is exactly same as on the pic of the tip tank i posted, i diden't took these picturs from DC but older manual camara, so i will be while before i would be able to post those pics on this thread.

Sammy
Old 08-30-2006, 08:26 PM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Concordefan,
Just joining your project, it's looking nice. I offer the following as encouragement --
Your wing loading will be fine. I made a scale four engine propliner a while back with about a 90 in span. The wing loading was over 50 oz/sqft and it flew just fine although not a floater. If you wanted it to be feather light you wouldnt be making it for IC engine power anyway. My all up weight was 18 lbs and used os 25 engines.
The incidence angles you chose should work well, mine were similar.
Good luck and keep posting your progress.
Paul
Old 08-31-2006, 07:31 AM
ec121connie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concordefan,

Here are the photos of the Nose Gear.

Regards

Name:	Lj21724.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	516486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46365.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	516487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90568.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	516488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23752.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	516489   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98807.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	516490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo89990.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	516491  
Old 08-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Props4ever

Thanks for encourigement Paul, i am going ahread with it, its a slow process but working away on daily bases.

Ec121connie,

I did got those pictures in my account, now how about main gears, i have already made nose gear bay with retract rails in the fuselage, i have feeling that i will have to enlarge rectangle wheel bat area as is seems small now.

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...3/Af90568.jpgo me.

Today i was block sanding right side of the fuselage to make it even with left side when looking from the top of it, right side sorta had slight long swells on forward and aft fuselage sections., i also high lighted areas that need to be filled with filler.

Hey i am already thinking on my next project also......
Old 08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Props4ever

Ec121connie,

Can you verify when you next to get main's gears pictures if the round thing on the root wing section is actually landing light?, seems to me as landing light but not sure, our connie have it filled with expanding foam, so coulden't figure it out....

Thanks
Sammy
Old 09-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Props4ever

Since my last post, both inner wing cores were built and glued to center wing section, this was whole evening's task, after i glued the whole center wing section my next step was to cut out slots for the 3 spars. This was another tricky area to work with, Mike and i both did some brain storming and came up with couple options to do it, first one was to make at fork type of tool to enter the wing from leading edge with square slots in it to cut the spar slots in the core!, well to me it diden't sounded too good, so we came up with another solution, Mike went and made new drawing for the whole center wing section with spar slots in in, then we literally made a jigbox with these spar slots in it and then i placed the wing in the box with proper alingment and both mike and i started to cut the slots with hot wire. Now its looking pretty good.

After we did our center wing section, our diehedrial angle came out to be +6.5 degress on each wing panel, it looked ok by itself but on higher side, so after getting home i assembled whole aircraft and was shocked to see diehedrial being too much as outer wing tips were almost level with H stab!, it diden't looked right to me then, well it was same in Mike's mind also, he Pmed next day and we both got togather to figure what went wrong!, as it seemed as our diehedrial according to my drawings should have been 5 degress!, well after spending another couple hrs on net and going through tons of Connie pictures we concluded that out original diehedrail angle was right on if not less by .5 degrees!, WOW Connies have very high diehedrial angles!.....

At this time most of the foam cutting work have been completed with few things still pending, we decided to those at later date, now i want to thank Mike Emilio for all his genrosity and humblessness to help me out with this project, i am very glad and proud to have Mike as my honest friend....

My next stage is to make engine necelles, i will be commencing on those very shortly and then followed by filling job on the fuselage and then sheeting it, i have decided to used 3/32 sheet all around on the whole project for sheeting purposes, i will add all the build pictures fron starting to present shortly...

Sammy
Old 09-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Looks like you're making good progress Sammy, will the debut be at Chatham (where I saw your plans)?

Keep those pictures coming.[8D]
Old 09-08-2006, 07:57 AM
ec121connie

Hi,

I can get the photos of the main gear this Wednesday if you still need them. Sorry for the late reply. I'm Carving a prop for the museum and kinda lost track of time. I'd rather play with hand tools then the computer any day.

Regards,

Name:	Mk25264.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	520939  
Old 09-08-2006, 11:53 AM
LN-JET

Regarding tip airfoil: I checked the incomplete guide for other Lockheed aircraft, and the C130 is listed with Naca 64A412, and that looks very similar to the
footprint on the tank. Could that be the confusion; 4412 vs. 64A412 ? In Profili you have to make this with the Naca generator.

Lars
Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 AM
wegier-r

Hello together,

Im new here and I come from Switzerland

I just found this interesting thread by searching for a retractable gear for the Connie I'm building. A collegue of mine made a set of laser parts for building a model of the Super Constellation C-121. He already flew a first prototype and is now building the final version of the model with a wingspan of 100" (scale 1/16). Here's a link to the forum where he posted pictures: http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thre...78&page=1&sid= This weekend I started to also build such a model

I'm also member of the Super Constellation Flyers Association (www.superconstellation.org). This association flies one of the three remaining flyable Super Connies: the Breitling Super Constellation, N73544. I'm working within this association since early 2001 as webmaster and in the maintenance since the aircraft is in Switzerland. As Member of the maintenance team I know the aircraft well and was also able to take a lot of pictures. Therefore I can support you with pictures if needed. Furthermore a lot of pictures can be found at www.conniepictures.ch

@Sammy: I wish you good luck with your model! It's very nice to see, that people like the Super Constellation around the world

Best wishes from Switzerland,

Richie
Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 PM
wegier-r

Hello friends,

Here two impressions:

And here two drawings out of a maintenance manual:

Cheers,

Richi
Old 09-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Props4ever

Hi Guys,

I want to upload more initial and current pictures but coulden't as i am using public library's PC these ays to log into internet. I will add more pictures once my Home PC is up and running.

This past weekend we had annual KW Dutchmen scale rally at rod and guns club in Kitchener, Ontario, i took my Connie there for display and for the first time i assembled it fully, i was astonished to see how awsome and super did it looked fully assembled, even though its just a core but whole profile is there representing the aircraft and graceful lines of the L1049G. I met there with couple of guys who actually worked on our CF-TGE AC# 405 when it was in service with TCA, one fellow mentioned he has original drawings for the Connie but refused to help but other person was very much helpful and provided me with some valuable info on the Connie, now my enthusium is overwhelming.

I know many people took the pictures there but i coulden't do due to lack of DC Camara!...No bigge i am sure someone will post picture from there on this thread. Jim sorry i diden't mentioned anything to you while we were there about your post above, well now you know why, i am just checking it now.

Somebody asked Mike on RCC about cutting out spar slots and alinging engine bay area, well its was complicated process as mentioned breifly in my last post, we both have to make an open box in which i slided the whole center wing section, Mike made another drawing on CAD which showed all the outlines for the spots of spars and engine bays to be cut out from which was glued ont he base of the box, once wing was placed and centered and squaired, we started cutting the foam by making hole in the engine bay to get hot wire in, then i was at the top controlling the wire and Mike was working the bottom, it was 2 man process. It took whole evening to cut 3 spar slots and 2 engine bays out, now i still have to make spars from solid OAK and glue them in the slots, i haven't got chance yet to do it. I am using 1/8" thick OAK for both front and center main spars and 1/4" balsa to make rear spar.

Mississauga News's News reporter found out about my Connie project and want to have interview with me tommarow, this will be in the paper next week, so all will be able to see it at www.Mississauganews.com

EC121Connie, yes i still ike to have pictures for the main gear bays, will be commencing on building engine necelles and landing gear bays very soon.

Wegier-r,

I will definately ask you for the info as i progress witht his project, there will be times when i will need information key area's of current flying Connies, i was hoping for someone from one of the current flying Connie associations would see this thread and offer there part with my project. Your drawing of the landing gears are very good, now i can have my friend Peter to print off the nose wheel drawing and get the scale nose strut made customly by Behotic Retracts.

Currently to best of my knowledge there are none 1/14th scale Connie models around, unless there are some out there that i haven't seen or heard about yet. I am also thinking on lines to turn this core into plug and make moulds from it, then this way i can produce many copies of fiberglass kit in this scale and size as, if somebody is interested do let me know soon before i end up doing this as one of model.

Sammy
Old 09-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Props4ever

Epoxy losening up problem.

This have occoured twice before and now again, Last sunday while the plane was displayed on top of park banch at scale rally i noticed towards the end of the day that aft fuselage where its expoxied to ply former at trailing edge losened up and aft fuselage was seprating from the rest of the structure, when i got home i re epoxied it back with 5 mins epoxy this time and also layed fibergless strip all around the joint area on the external side. Yesterday is looked ok but today when i again had to assemble the model for Mississauga's news reporter i noticed it again pulled it self off the top area of the former and i can easily see 1/8" gap on the under neith of the glass work!, now what can do to fully secure it permonantly that this sepretion dosen't occur again!!....I am not using any stinger system on this project its all foam sections epoxied to ply formers....
Old 09-13-2006, 03:56 AM
wegier-r

Hello all,

As requested, I submit you some information regarding the model I'm currently building.

First of all some picture from one of the prototypes my friend Rudolf Suter built (pictures are from himself; the pilot flying the model is a friend of him):

Here the flying prototype:

Currently he's building the final version of the model which also should have a retracable gear, flaps, cowlings and of course a finish. The model has a wingspan of about 2.5m and a weight of app. 6.5kg (the flying prototype). We hope to get the weight of the final model to about 8.5-9kg

Here some pictures of the status of my model:

Best wishes,

Richi
Old 09-14-2006, 05:27 PM
ec121connie

Here are the photos of the left main gear.

Name:	Ig11399.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	524011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67433.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	524012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18399.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	524013  
Old 09-14-2006, 05:29 PM
ec121connie

And the right main

Name:	Qo38680.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	524014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62117.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	524015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51552.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	524016  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:07 AM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Richi
That is a nice model, how about more details about the power system.Thx
Paul
Old 09-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Props4ever

Hi Richie,

Your construction way looks pretty good, i am wondering if you had somebody laser cut the kit for you?, its looking preety good though. Other thing seems to me as you guys like IC/Electric powered models, i have asked by few to go that route but i prefer nitro powered model, now what are to chances to lose 2 engine on one side!.....
What is your wing loading and final flying weight?...

Ec121Connie,

Thanks for the pictures of the mains, one of the pictured reminded me of time when our connie's gear bays were mashed screened of till the time when Phil decided to install wooded sheets in the bays to keep the birds out of them....

As for my model i haven't done anything to it since last update, i am moving to new place by the end of the month, so untill then i wont be doing anything to it, hopefully my next update will be from my home PC....
Old 09-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Props4ever

HI Richie,

I have recieved the CD you sent me, it was very fast service, i wasen't expecting it so fast delivery. Thanks

BTW i might need alot more info on the restoration of real L1049 "G" soon from your association, hopefully we as Canadians will end up keeping the CF-TGE currently in between legal war between US's MOF and Toronto Aerospace Museum. I hope Canadian Heritage Ministry declair it as significent to canadian culture and properties...

You can see it at : www.canadiansuperconnie.org

Old 09-25-2006, 02:36 AM
wegier-r

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I didn't receive notifications for your posts. Therefore: sorry for my late response

The model is a laser cut model. The collegue of mine who planned this model knows someone with a laser cut machine It will be electrical powered by four 300W brushless motors. For me that's the easiest and cleanest way to get this aircraft into air

The weights of my collegues model without any painting, RC, motors and gears is about 3.5kg. The wight of the flying model as shown above is about 6.8kg. With all the painting and gears and flaps I hope to get it below 9kg (target is 8-8.5kg).

If you have questions about the model or the original, just ask me

Here some pictures of the current status from the fuselage:

And here some pictures from the Flying Legends Bern from yesterday (hope it's OK with you taht also other airsrafts than the Super Connie are shown):

When making this picture, I heard the probably best sound ever She passed me in just about 30m height

Best wishes from Switzerland,

Richie

PS: If I do not respond within one or two days to your questions in this forum, please send me a mail! I really like to share information and expirience and it's amaizing
Old 09-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Props4ever

Beautiful pictures Richie, no its ok to add other vintage aircraft pictures also with Connie pictures, its amazing to see so many different restored and flying western aircrafts in Europe. From your Connie pictures i can now see where Landing lights would be placed under the wings...

Your build is coming along nicely, least you are already sheeting the fuselage vs me, Why did you chossed to ge electric?, any specific reason...

What sort of landing gears will you be using?, are these customly built gears?, wondering if i can use same for my model mind you my model is only 5" smaller then yours...I don't know what will it cost me to do custom nose gear for mine so that is why i am asking...

Sammy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.