Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Wing Tip Design / Performance

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Wing Tip Design / Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:29 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Tip Design / Performance

I'm interested in the pro's and con's of different wint tip designs from a flight and performance standpoint. In particular, what are the tradeoffs between a flat, beveled tip that looks like the wing was cut at a 45 degree angle (much like the Avistar) and a more traditional rounded, shaped wing tip?

I had a Tiger 2 in which I shaped the wing tips to match the airfoil and rounded the ends in a more traditional fashion. I am now building a Tiger 60 which I realize calls for the beveled wing tip. I am building this wing to have one less bay on each end and to only have 1/2" dihedral under each tip. (Refer to 9/06 Flying Models article "Old Al's Tiger 60 Mods) I prefer the appearance of the rounded tips, but wonder if there are any significant flight characteristics that I should consider in my decision.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:54 AM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wing Tip Design / Performance

krossk

I doubt very much that you will notice a difference in performance between the 45 degree tip and a rounded tip on the Tiger. Use what looks good to you. More complicated tips such as Horner, Winglets and plain ol' Flat plate can have an affect on performance. Good Luck
Old 12-31-2006, 03:40 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wing Tip Design / Performance

I asked this question of an old pattern flier I knew. He commented that he always used square tips, even though they are not the most aerodynamically efficient. When I asked him why, he said it was because it was easier to get both tips the same and that is more important than efficiency when trimming a pattern ship to fly the same in all attitudes. Just food for thought...

Mark