Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Help in Solid Edge Or CatiaV5

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Help in Solid Edge Or CatiaV5

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 07:11 AM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help in Solid Edge Or CatiaV5

Hi guys
I'm just now working my way into 3D modelling, mostly because i'm confronted with it at university.
However, the application there is mostly rotation and extrusion bodys, holes, screws and such. The tutors and proffessor is also mainly busy talking about it and not very proficient at doing something with it.....

Now i want to start out doing real 3D models, airplanes. I have Catia V5 and SolidEdge at my disposal, so knowledge in either one will help....i don't care which one i'll be using, i just need a helping hand getting started.
My main problem starts like this: I want to make a full set of wings and stabilizers for our current project. I have all airfoils (complicated custom airfoils, not standard stuff) drawn up in corel, so i can get them exported in dxf, plt and the such formats.
SolidEdge can import them, i haven't found this function in Catia yet...so i'm kind of tempted to go with SolidEdge.

The question is: How do i get the ribs scaled to the proper size, and then connect them so they form a wing? A small tutorial for dummys would be very appreciated, i've searched net tutorials and cad forums, but found nothing applicable to airplanes....

Thanks
Hank
Old 01-22-2007, 10:33 AM
NRistow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help in Solid Edge Or CatiaV5

In catia, you need to go into the 2d drafting workbench, then import your dxf. Then you can copy/paste the airfoil section onto your drawing planes in your product.

To loft a wing, you'll need at least a rib section and a root section. In catia you put them on drawing planes. Then you can loft between them. If you need an elliptical or some kind of bent wing, you'll need to create some paths then sweep the sections along those paths.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:40 AM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Help in Solid Edge Or CatiaV5

Thanks a lot, i'm very very glad to hear that i can get the DXFs into Catia also.

The wing design is pretty straightforward, with straight leading- and trailingedges. One thing that sort of worrys me: i have ribs that are about 1"-3" away from the tip on some of the surfaces, and not the tip and root airfoils. This is because the tips are usually curved back, or the fuselage has a bend that gives me no straight line to place a rib. Is it also possible to set the airfiols i have inward of my wings edges, and then loft them to the edges?
The graphic might make it more clear what i want :-) Blue is the shape i need, red is the ribs i got....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10772.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	604772