Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scaled down airfoil

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 03:52 AM
jtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scaled down airfoil

I'm building a Huskey look-alike by approximately reducing the full size aircrafts demensions proportionally. The wing cord is 13 3/4 " and span is about 83", the problem is that the wing looks too thin. I have reduced the Clark-Y airfoil, but it looks way too thin to be on a slow flying airplane. What is a good semisemetrical airfoil for a slow flying trainer type aircraft.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2002, 04:07 AM
Mike James

Default Airfoils

Short answer... There are probably a million good choices.

After reading Andy Lennon's articles and book, years ago, I began using the Eppler 197 for this type of model, and it's worked great in every case... Flies nice and slow, yet is still aerobatic if you like. See Andy's book, or browse through old Model Airplane News articles for more from Andy.

It's fine ailerons only, but is easily adaptable to the "NACA droop" Andy often uses, as well as slotted flaps. The slotted flaps make a BIG difference. Typical surface lengths are: ailerons about 40 percent of the semi=span, and flaps about 60 percent of the semi-span. Having done a lot of these, I can tell you that those percentages are not critical. (Widths: ailerons about 25 percent chord, flaps about 30 percent chord)

Data for this and a kabillion other airfoils is on the UIUC site at http://amber.aae.uiuc.edu/~m-selig/a..._database.html

They'll work with "CompuFoil" on a PC, or "MacFoil" on a Mac.
Old 02-17-2002, 06:30 PM
jtech

Default Scaled down airfoil

Thank you for the information!