Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

"CAD for Modelers, Volume Three" coming in late November, 2009

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

"CAD for Modelers, Volume Three" coming in late November, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "CAD for Modelers, Volume Three" coming in late November, 2009

Hi everybody,

For those of you interested in 3D modeling, I've got a new DVD coming out at the end of this month. It includes a variety of tutorials on aircraft modeling, using various methods.

Like previous disks, this one includes a great deal of text/image content, in the form of HTML pages. New though, is quite a bit of screen-capture video/audio, so you can actually see the details of how things were done. The entire DVD was done using the "modo" software package, from [link=http://www.luxology.com]Luxology[/link], but since it's similar to several other modern 3D tools, (like LightWave, Maya, etc.) users of those software packages might also find it useful.

Latest preview page is at [link=http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/cfm_03.html]http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/cfm_03.html[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68322.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	1306966  
Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE:

Mike, I have never done anything more than sketch out planes on grid paper, but I have scratch built a bit from my own crude plans. I will retire early next year and I am interested in being able to:
1) draw my own designs on computer, incorporate airfoils from other sources, and see what my designs would look like in 3D
2) scan out-of-print designs from old magazines and enlarge and print tiled sheets that I can assemble into a plan
3) using own designs or scanned plans, make paint schemes I can visualize in 3D
4) make scale model designs from full scale 3-views

If your DVD will get me started, I'm interested. It may be I should forget about 3D in the beginning and just start with 2D design until I've learned to handle that. Right now I have only a Mac laptop, but I will be getting a PC desktop in January.

Any kind of advice from you or others about the above will be much appreciated; I'm totally in the dark at this point. Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-08-2009, 10:57 AM
buzzard bait

Default RE:

Oops, just realized what programs like this cost...I think I'm a 2D guy!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Mike James

Default RE: RE:

Hi everybody,

For those of you who might be interested in "CAD for Modelers, Volume Three", I've posted a couple of preview movies on my site, at [link=http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/cfm_03.html]http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/cfm_03.html[/link]

Enjoy!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Mike James

The new DVD is finished, and ready to ship. You can buy it beginning now, via PayPal, on the preview page at [link=http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/cfm_03.html]http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/cfm_03.html[/link]
Old 12-14-2009, 11:41 AM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

buzzard bait, i would recommend buying a copy of Turbo Cad to get you started drawing in 2d. Great program to use, it's what i use. If you buy a professional version, it will do some 3d. I usually use it for 2d, but use 3d when i want to extrude the parts (formers ribs etc) to see how the structure looks when assembled. I have a copy of Turbo Cad Professional 9 that i could sell to you if you want for nit that much money ($50) My current version i use is TurboCad Pro 14. There's actually not that much difference between the two, i don't use much of the new features in the later version. A nice feature is the program lets you import an image you can trace over when drawing an airplane.
The first image shows my tracing over a 3 view of a Cessna AW
The second is a 3d structure assembled from extruded 2d parts

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61720.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1334266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88835.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1334267  
Old 12-14-2009, 10:18 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: canadagoose

buzzard bait, i would recommend buying a copy of Turbo Cad to get you started drawing in 2d. Great program to use, it's what i use. If you buy a professional version, it will do some 3d. I usually use it for 2d, but use 3d when i want to extrude the parts (formers ribs etc) to see how the structure looks when assembled. I have a copy of Turbo Cad Professional 9 that i could sell to you if you want for nit that much money ($50) My current version i use is TurboCad Pro 14. There's actually not that much difference between the two, i don't use much of the new features in the later version. A nice feature is the program lets you import an image you can trace over when drawing an airplane.
The first image shows my tracing over a 3 view of a Cessna AW
The second is a 3d structure assembled from extruded 2d parts

turbocad is more than enough for what we peasants need. i wish there was rc specific dvds for turbocad.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:24 PM
buzzard bait

Default RE:

Canadagoose, thank you for the advise and the offer. I won't have my computer or the time to do anything till February, so I really don't know what I'm getting into yet. I'd like to revisit all of this when I'm ready. If you are still looking to sell and it looks good to me then, I'll get in touch. Bottom line is I don't want to make CAD into another hobby, so I need to explore this some before I plunge in. Thanks for responding, everyone, and other thoughts always welcome.

Jim