Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Your first thoughts on FlyZone's new SeaWind?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Your first thoughts on FlyZone's new SeaWind?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:18 PM
smitty4980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley
I'm stumped. My replacement SW was delivered this evening. I wasn't going to mess with it until warmer weather but I'll get ti out of the box, hook up a Rx and see how it goes. Maybe I'll gain some new insights.

CR
I really appreciate your assistance. I'm so lost I don't know what to do. I may end up taking it down to HobbyTown USA and have them take a look at it. That's where I got the Spectrum transmitter. You got a replacement Seawind? Did I miss something? What happened?
Old 02-23-2016, 08:19 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by smitty4980
I really appreciate your assistance. I'm so lost I don't know what to do. I may end up taking it down to HobbyTown USA and have them take a look at it. That's where I got the Spectrum transmitter. You got a replacement Seawind? Did I miss something? What happened?
I bought a Scratch 'n Dent SW from Tower that was supposed to be "Box damage only." When the model arrived it had a lot more damage than was said. I wound up sending it back, at Tower's expense, for a refund, which I just received. I ordered a new SW while I could still get the $30 off coupon. It arrived a few hours ago.

Now, I unboxed the model's fuse, installed and bound a FrSky 8 channel Rx to my Aurora 9 Tx, with the rudder servo hooked up to prove the link worked. Looked at the SW instruction manual in order to sort out the servo cables. Found a separate sheet in the SW manual. It's entitled "ESC Programming and Failsafe Technical Notice." It is the ESC programming manual I wrote of before. You should have that sheet. You need to read and follow the instructions under "Operation/Startup" and "Throttle Calibration." Once you get that done you can set the Brake & Failsafe functions per the sheet. It's worth noting that the Failsafe instructions that come first on the sheet assume you are using a Tactic radio. Note also that they say to set the throttle channel to "Reverse." This may or may not be right for your Spektrum Tx.

Finally; Tailskid may be right in that if you can restore the factory defaults in your Tx it may be worthwhile to start out that way, just to get a new baseline. I came close to recommending that a few posts back.

CR

Last edited by Charley; 02-23-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:35 AM
Charley

Default Another Thread

smitty,

There's a Seawind thread on RC Groups that you might want to check out: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post34090960

Meanwhile, I unboxed the fuse & installed a new Frsky Delta 8, 8-channel Rx, in order to ensure compatibility with the model's electronics and my Aurora 9 Tx. I followed the instruction in the ESC instruction sheet: everything works OK.

I took the liberty to invite Spektrum users from the RCG thread to look at this thread with an eye to helping you out. Also told them I'd encourage you to check in with them over there. Between us all we ought to be able to get you up and running.

Cheers,

CR

Old 02-24-2016, 06:41 AM
smitty4980

Originally Posted by Charley
smitty,

There's a Seawind thread on RC Groups that you might want to check out: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post34090960

Meanwhile, I unboxed the fuse & installed a new Frsky Delta 8, 8-channel Rx, in order to ensure compatibility with the model's electronics and my Aurora 9 Tx. I followed the instruction in the ESC instruction sheet: everything works OK.

I took the liberty to invite Spektrum users from the RCG thread to look at this thread with an eye to helping you out. Also told them I'd encourage you to check in with them over there. Between us all we ought to be able to get you up and running.

Cheers,

CR

Thank you so much, Charley. I dug through the advertisements and I found the sheet you mentioned about programming the ESC. I'll see what I can do with it. Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Try this

Set the throttle trim to mid position.
Bind the model
Pull the throttle trim to full low.

Plug in the model.
Go to full throttle then to idle and see if the beeping stops and the motor arms.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:58 AM
smitty4980

Thank you so much, Charley. I dug through the advertisements and I found the sheet you mentioned about programming the ESC. I'll see what I can do with it. Keep your fingers crossed!
I got it! It works! I went through the steps and it worked with the throttle up but not down. I messed around with the throttle trim (got it in the neutral, if that's the right term,) tried it again and it worked as advertised! Listen carefully. Do you hear anything? Me neither; the BEEPING HAS STOPPED! Thank you so much for hanging in there with me.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:11 AM
Charley

Glad to hear (or not) it. Yippee!!

CR
Old 02-24-2016, 01:34 PM
smitty4980

I am still having a minor issue with the flaps. It seems I'm only getting 50 percent travel with the flap actuator. At zero flaps the actuator should be up by the right wing but mine is pointing almost straight down. You'd think that would be simple to fix. Maybe it is and I'm just simpler!
Old 02-24-2016, 02:24 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Two things....flap channel needs to be reversed and check your total servo travel distance - you should have it set at 100%
Old 03-07-2016, 06:01 PM
smitty4980

I found some very helpful videos on you tube that gave a detailed how, what and why set-up of the various functions of the Spectrum DX6 transmitter. The book that came with it is definitely for people that already know what they're doing. I had a minor surgery which set back my maiden flight but I'm good to go and waiting for the wind to die down. I have all my flight controls set up for dual rates at the correct throws. The only thing I'm wondering about now is the expo setting (last week I didn't even know what it meant so I'm making progress). I'm wondering particularly about the elevators during landing. Should I set any expo in or just go fly it and see how I do?
Old 03-07-2016, 06:13 PM
tailskid

No surgery is 'minor'...hope everything works out well for you....don't worry too much about elevator expo as this bird will slow way down for landing. She will flair even when flying at walking speed!
Old 03-07-2016, 07:29 PM
smitty4980

Originally Posted by tailskid
No surgery is 'minor'...hope everything works out well for you....don't worry too much about elevator expo as this bird will slow way down for landing. She will flair even when flying at walking speed!
Parotid gland below the left ear had a benign tumor. Had it removed before it becomes a problem. Recovering just fine, thanks. Okay then, if it's not too windy tomorrow I'll give it a go. I'm going to use a grass runway before I try the water. I want an idea of turn radius etc. before I go to the river. The last thing I want to do is put it in a tree hanging off the bank!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:30 PM
tailskid

Smitty, did you watch my video? I included a segment near the end that showed the turning radius....just hope the wind isn't blowing too hard

(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post34202025)

Jerry
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM
smitty4980

Originally Posted by tailskid
Smitty, did you watch my video? I included a segment near the end that showed the turning radius....just hope the wind isn't blowing too hard

(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post34202025)

Jerry
Nice video, Jerry. I saw it before and just watched it again to be sure what video you were talking about. Was that with the 3s 2200 mah battery? I've seen a bit of discussion that it was sluggish and someone was going to the 4s. The flying in the video looked about right for me, starting out anyway. Winds are around 11 mph so I didn't fly today although it appears that it might not be that much of a problem from what I've read in some of the other comments.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:30 AM
BarracudaHockey

I had no issues with 3S

It's not going to 3D but for what it is, it's a well matched power system
Old 03-08-2016, 10:51 AM
tailskid

3s2200 all the way for me too!
Old 03-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Charley

I'm wondering particularly about the elevators during landing. Should I set any expo in or just go fly it and see how I do?
I use expo on the elevator channel to help my twitchy thumb from over controlling the model at the bottom of the landing glide. If you watch enough videos of model landings you'll often see the model pitch up abruptly as the flier means to flatten the glide right before touch down. About 15 - 20% expo helps me to avoid that.

CR
Old 03-08-2016, 11:07 AM
smitty4980

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I had no issues with 3S

It's not going to 3D but for what it is, it's a well matched power system
3D is cool to watch but I don't see myself getting into it. I like the warbirds the best, actually, but the Seawind looked too sweet to pass up.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Cpdalpiaz

Finishing assembly using Spektrum AS3X AR636 and DX6i. Still learning the App on my iPad to program the receiver. Got the flaps working and trying to understand the gear. It seems to be threshold operated, so if the signal goes over the threshold, the gear cycles full down. When signal goes below the gear cycles full full up. It has a nice built in delay system and looks very real. Hoping Hobbico will answer my threshold question soon, since their instruction manual says nothing on the subject. The flaps are proportional as you'd expect. Dalpiaz 3-8-16
Old 03-09-2016, 05:47 AM
BarracudaHockey

What question do you have about the threshold? Set the channel for 100/100 and it will cycle when you flip the switch.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Cpdalpiaz

Sure, take the easy way out. Why didn't I think of that? Too detail oriented I guess. That's what my wife says. Thanks a bunch! Seriously!
Old 03-09-2016, 01:24 PM
smitty4980

I was hoping to have my maiden flight on the Seawind today. I took it and the Gamma Pro 370 to the flying field but the wind was strong and gusty. I flew the small plane a couple of times but it was very difficult to control. Amazingly I didn't have a glue and tape requirement after those flights but I was afraid to try the Seawind. Everyone tells me the bigger the plane is the easier it is to fly which makes sense to me but the prudent decision seemed to be wait for the wind to die down.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Charley

I was hoping to have my maiden flight on the Seawind today. I took it and the Gamma Pro 370 to the flying field but the wind was strong and gusty. I flew the small plane a couple of times but it was very difficult to control. Amazingly I didn't have a glue and tape requirement after those flights but I was afraid to try the Seawind. Everyone tells me the bigger the plane is the easier it is to fly which makes sense to me but the prudent decision seemed to be wait for the wind to die down.
Too bad the WTH didn't cooperate but there's always another day. I looked up the Gamma Pro. If you got it up & down OK I judge that you'd have been OK on the SW. OTOH, why risk a maiden flight on poor WTH conditions? In the meantime, you might want to put in some Expo on the SW's elevator. Did you see what I wrote about that? Works for me but up to you of cuss.

WTH lousy for flying in So. Central TX currently but we can always use the rain.

CR
Old 03-09-2016, 05:28 PM
Cpdalpiaz

Hobbico sent the answer today, and all it takes is plus/minus 50% throw on the actuating channel to cause the gear to cycle up/down. Made the change and it works well. Thanks, Hobbico Tech Support! Need to put that in the manual -- Cpdalpiaz 3-9-16
Old 03-10-2016, 10:22 AM
smitty4980

Originally Posted by Cpdalpiaz
Finishing assembly using Spektrum AS3X AR636 and DX6i. Still learning the App on my iPad to program the receiver. Got the flaps working and trying to understand the gear. It seems to be threshold operated, so if the signal goes over the threshold, the gear cycles full down. When signal goes below the gear cycles full full up. It has a nice built in delay system and looks very real. Hoping Hobbico will answer my threshold question soon, since their instruction manual says nothing on the subject. The flaps are proportional as you'd expect. Dalpiaz 3-8-16
Am I reading this right? Your landing gear goes up and down automatically depending on flap position? Can you over ride it to land on the water with flaps down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.