Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Float flying is awesome

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Float flying is awesome

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 11:45 AM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Float flying is awesome

Finished putting my Sea Monster together last week and had my first float flying experience. This is really a lot of fun! A short 2 minute drive to my local boat ramp and I'm in the air in a matter of minutes. Won't be feasable during the busy boating months but late fall and early spring should be great for those quick flying session.

Anyway, just wanted to share my joy. If you are considering float flying, get going, it's awesome.

Kent
Old 10-06-2003, 09:47 PM
LittleFolk

Default RE: Float flying is awesome

Hey, how about using giant scale and pulling some skiers?!
Old 10-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Kent

Glad all went well. Heheee, now you know why we are always talking up this aspect of flying!

Just a suggestion that works for me: Our lakes are heavily laden with vacationers as well, but our lakes are real calm on Monday and Tuesdays. May be everyone is pooped out / or goes home from the weekend. Maybe if this holds true for you, then you could get some flying in during the summer?

Jeff
Old 10-07-2003, 08:53 AM
TopShelf

Jeff, thanks for the suggestion. I think the same applies here on the river, everyone is beat from the WE and stays off the water. I'm also thinking early in the morning should be good too.

Not up to pulling skiers yet but I did manage to drag race a fishing boat. That outboard Mercury engine had nothing on my Tower 46

I think my next project just might be a PBY from G&P Sales.

Kent
Old 10-07-2003, 10:06 AM
bruce scott

How do you like the Sea Monster and what engine did you choose?
Old 10-08-2003, 04:59 PM
TopShelf

The Sea Monster flys pretty well, about what I expected. It gets off the water quick and is reasonably nimble in the air. Landings are gentle and predictable. I have not found any bad stall characteristics. I have been able to do all be basic aerobatics: loop, roll, stall turn, inverted flight. It actually flys inverted quite well. One interesting feature with the engine on the pod is that large quick throttle adjustments results in pitch changes.

It comes with pretty cheesy hardware and I replaced most of it. It also came out quite tail heavy so I needed to add a heavy prop hub and a fair amount of weight to get it balanced. The nice thing about the Sea Monster is that the hull is made of fiberglass.

I am using a Tower hobbies 0.46. I had to get a smaller muffler as the long "tuned" muffler that comes with the engine interferred with the wing installation.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:49 AM
ADSala
My Feedback: (2)

I have a seamaster. I have seen the seamonster and it looks very much the same. I have enjoyed my seamaster for quite a while now. I have dedicated my flying with my campouts at lake Berryessa CA. I found a great cove where I can camp right up against the water. I take my boat with me for sking and such and I take my planes with me as well. I just got back from a camp trip a couple of weeks ago. I flew my seamaster about ten times. Perfect conditions. I was doing hammerheads, inverted flybyes, loops, rolls etc. It's fun doing touch and goes but making the plane stay on the water for a long distance then yanking it up into the air. My seamaster is a real workhorse. It's got a saito .56 which is very dependable. I did one last flight on our last day of camping and afterwards I realized that I had taken the boat out of the water. I was thinking what would I have done if I had a stall or something. I would have to get out the inflatable and paddle out. But like always I have never had to go and retreive the plane yet. knock on wood! Well, enjoy. I love it. I also have a Top Flight giant scale Cesnna 182 on Sea Commander floats but that's another story. Have fun.

Dean Sala
Old 10-09-2003, 07:08 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally late afternoon flying during the week allows you plenty of room on the lake. Boat traffic drops off, and the boats that go by will usually stop to watch the airshow.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Goinstraightup

Yeah, one night was really fun on lake Wisconsin. I was out doing "splash-n-go's" with my Kadet MKII and after a while I looked over my shoulder and noticed that I had a 6 boat audience. When I finally finished and put the plane in the boat I got a round of applause. Pretty cool!
Old 10-11-2003, 11:26 AM
TopShelf

You guys are absolutely correct. I was drawing quite a crowd both on the dock and on the water.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:15 AM
Smoky

OH OH! Break out the bottle! Topshelf is addicted now. soon he won't even consider landing on the Ughhh,,, ground! LOL Welcome to Floatflying.

Rick.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:23 AM
TopShelf

Smoky, you got me. Last night I had a chance to fly at the field or run to the river. Needless to say, I hit the river

At our next club meeting I will start with...

Hi, my name is Kent and I'm a floataholic
Old 10-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Goinstraightup

Old 10-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Smoky

ROFLMAO! Gasp! I just spit my coffee all over the puter! LOL that is one I'll have to remember!
Rick.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:55 PM
TopShelf

Smoky,

Sorry, I owe you a coup of coffee :0 and hopefully not a new keyboard