Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

1/4 scale EDO Floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

1/4 scale EDO Floats

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 02:56 PM
wlmitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 scale EDO Floats

Has any one built IKON's 1/4 scale EDO floats, any thoughts or hints? Also looking at the 1/4 scale BalsaUSA 1400EDO floats. I want to have retractable (flip-up) water rudders and would like to run cables/pulleys and not rods to operate them any thoughts besides crazy.
Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84948.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	66656  
Old 10-09-2003, 06:42 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/4 scale EDO Floats

Ernst rudders are pretty close to scale and look good on quarter-scale floats. They are set up for cable retract, just like on a 1:1 cub.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:31 AM
ROCKYJS
My Feedback: (1)

I've got full scale EDO 1320s. The single rudder (left side) is retracted by cable, and spring loaded down. Dual wires from the rudder horn run thru pulleys attached to the struts and left float for steering. On 1/4 scale it certainly can be done. My buddy has done several sail boats and there's lots of hardware availablel.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:29 PM
All Thumbs

Do you have a digital camera Rocky? It would be great to see some pics of the hardware on your floats. Especially the location and attachment of the pulleys and the cable entries into the plane itself.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:12 PM
wlmitch

I would agree with All Thumbs. I have seen 1:1 EDO floats with all the rigging but as it sure would be helpful to see a few 1/4 or 1/3 scale examples. Rockey, any suggestions on sailboat hardware catalogs? I think I have narrowed my choice to building BalsaUSA EDO 1400s
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:44 PM
jbowditch

Just about to finish building balsa usa's edo floats for my 1/4 scale cub. They are tough, if you are not experienced, especially the fitting hardware.

Justin
Old 11-26-2003, 07:24 PM
Guy

Check this site beautiful scale floats and rigging
http://www.seacommander.com/
Old 11-28-2003, 08:41 PM
leedsflyer

wlmitch
The Balsa USA floats are the best deal for the money. I have a set on my 1/4 scale Cub. I have a set of Ikon N'West that will be going on my Beaver, but I think that I will be making up scale N struts and cross braces as the kit only contains wire. The Sea Commanders are very nice, but very expensive. I bought a set for my Cessna 182 and will hopefully be building it this Winter. Here's a picture of my Cub. I just put the floats on in a hurry for the picture, so you cannot see any rigging in the picture. It has twin tip up rudders. I live about 100 miles from you. I'm midway between Augusta and Lewiston.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25465.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	78295