Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

BeeGee Floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

BeeGee Floats

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 04:24 PM
mattreynol
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BeeGee Floats

Can anyone recommend the BeeGee 40 size floats?

I am planning on using them on my Hobbico Avistar. Will an OS .40 engine (not LA40) be enough to get this off the water?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:40 PM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BeeGee Floats

If you do a search in this forum using "GeeBee" you'll find that a lot of RC'ers don't like the shape of the step. It is not a straight across step, it is angled. Also some do leak. I'm partial to foam core floats since they are light weight and can't leak. About a year ago I started making them to support my hobbie, and since then I've made around 60 pairs (www.geocities.com/planefunfloats). You shouldn't have any problem with the 40 engine........Seaplane
Old 10-25-2003, 09:52 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to do this a lot, but I second what Seaplane has said.
GeeBee floats have never impressed me. Their only real quality is that they are durable, because they are made from polyethylene, just like a dish-detergent bottle. Like a bottle, they are good at holding water INSIDE.
Foam floats can be made to be very efficient. Strong, Light, Leakproof, and durable, with excellent performance. As does Seaplane, I make my own and I cut them for my friends. Never a complaint about their performance.
If for some reason you are drawn to blow-molded plastic floats, nobody has ever said anything bad about Falcon Trading Co. floats.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:18 PM
ppw
My Feedback: (24)

BeeGee floats are the worst!!!. Just lost a plane on them. very poor water handling.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:01 PM
mattreynol
My Feedback: (3)

Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback on the BeeGee Floats. I have decided to avoid them, and instead will search for another set.

Anyone selling a used set of floats for a .40 size plane? I prefer RTF floats so I don't have to deal with sealing/painting them, etc.