Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

EAA's "Wonderful World of Floats"

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

EAA's "Wonderful World of Floats"

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 11:16 AM
All Thumbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EAA's "Wonderful World of Floats"

I just gotta give my comments on a video that JimCasey recommended to me in an earlier thread. The video's called "The Wonderful World of Floats" and a search here shows it hasn't been discussed much. It's put out by the EAA and I ordered it off their website: http://shop.eaa.org/html/2videos_flo....html?cart_id= (it looks funny, but that link will take you directly to the floatplane videos).

It's kind of expensive at $25 plus shipping...but it was worth it. It goes through a two day, full scale seaplane certification. What really impressed me are the production values. So many of these things can be done cheaply. It absolutely has the best quality air to air photography I've ever seen. I'm not going to say that for everyone just watching a J3 Cub is the best thing ever, but the way they do it certainly is. I know you know what I'm talking about Jim, but it's like their camera is on rails next to the plane. It doesn't matter whether they're going through the various taxi methods, take offs, or landings. The second half of it where they start hopping from lake to lake is very cool.

This isn't made for modeling, but there's plenty of good shots of float structure and their makeup...especially in the preflights. You get some decent closeups. I can see where some of the flight techniques will carry over to us, and some probably will not (at least I'm not ready to attempt a one float, circling takeoff just yet!). If you wanna see how a full size J3 Cub works on floats, and how it's flown...you'll really enjoy this. Since part of my modeling flying experience is to imagine scale-like flight while I'm doing it, this video adds to the experience.

It was a good recommendation Jim. I'll bet a lot of other folks here would like it. Can anyone else confirm how much fun and how great this video is?

(P.S. All Thumbs does not own stock or otherwise have any business association with the EAA )
Old 11-08-2003, 05:29 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: EAA's "Wonderful World of Floats"

I don't have any financial stake in the EAA either, and I dropped my membership, but the tape is well worth the bucks just to learn the taxi techniques. You are right about the cinematography.
I just wished they had spliced in to the intercom: The first two times I watched it I thought all the poor schmo in the back seat could do was nod. Then I realized they had not picked up audio from him.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:17 PM
All Thumbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EAA's "Wonderful World of Floats"

The first two times I watched it I thought all the poor schmo in the back seat could do was nod. Then I realized they had not picked up audio from him.
I thought he seemed a little "challanged" at first too...until I realized the instructor was responding to his checklist call for carberator heat in the later parts. I'm also sure the "poor schmo" was concentrating like crazy. I certainly had the impression that he was learning for real from his reactions and the instructors...it didn't seem staged. Nothing like being put on reality video while trying to absorb a complex subject! They had referred to the fact that he already had his commercial ticket, so he made for a good guinea pig .