Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

First Float Fly-Sea Fazer

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

First Float Fly-Sea Fazer

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Float Fly-Sea Fazer

I just completed my first float flying experience at a fly-in at one of the local lakes in northwest Florida. Had a great time as many of you pointed out. I do want to thank those of you who gave me advice because the plane flew flawlessly after I got it trimmed-and it did take some trim.

Plane: An old Sig Fazer with floats, now called the Sea Fazer.
Power is a Tower .46, you know the one that won't shut down. It won't quit when you are taxiing in, either.
Prop: APC 12.25x3.75 fun fly prop.
Floats: Falcon Trading Co blow molded plastic.
Mounts: Stock Fazer aluminum gear in front and a second stock gear in the rear. Arrow shaft spreaders.
CG: Normal fun fly.
Step: About 2 inches behind the CG.

The first take off was nearly a bust because some how the rudder trim got messed up and I started to snap after I released rudder after lift off. I cut power and got in back down safely. Once this was corrected, she flew great. I have plenty of power so I didn't have to worry about getting off the water.

Photos:
1. Flying buddy Flaps Laffert has just released the Sea Fazer
2. Ed starts take off while 2 young kabitzers look on. This was the first time they had ever seen an RC plane.
3. The Sea Fazer in flight
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73993.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	74923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18034.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	74924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20796.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	74925  
Old 11-15-2003, 04:11 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First Float Fly-Sea Fazer

More photos:
4. Starting a loop
5. Taxiing back in after landing.
6. Parked on the beach.

The plane flew very well with floats. Looping maneuvers, inside and outside. were still easy. Roll were fast. They were probably slower than before the floats, but they were pretty fast with them. I am using + & - 30-35 deg. travel on ailerons. It wouldn't snap so I didn't try a spin at low speed.

The real trip in the acro set was inverted flight-no down stick rquired, well maybe just a tiny bit. When I first rolled inverted, I put i the usual amount of down for this plane and up she went. 1 click of trim and it was holding level. I guess the floats have a lot of lift when inverted. I was figuring I would need a lot of up trim because of the drag down below and this would require me to hold a lot of forward stick to maintain level flight inverted. Not so. Inverted and outsides about did themselves.

Water landings were another thing I had no experience with. The Sea Fazer just skimmed the water and sat down, no skipping, no bouncing. One time I was in a little bank and 1 float skimmed the water for several feet before the other touched. No stability problems, no turning toward the down float, it just skimmed and sat down. I made a lot better landings than I anticipated, but I think it was the plane and the floats. As one of the seaplane regulars said, "That one's a keeper."

You guys were right, I enjoyed the heck out of my float plane experience. Now that I am at least partially hooked, I think I'll paint the floats to match the plane and order another set.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73982.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	74930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18863.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	74931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33897.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.6 KB