Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Recognize these floats?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Recognize these floats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Windancr
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recognize these floats?

Hello...

Hoping someone might recognize this pair of plastic floats. Acquired a few months ago at a club swap meet. No identifying marks or features. Water rudder appears home-made. Approx measurements are 33" long X 4.75" wide. Seem quite sturdy, but perhaps a little heavy. Would like to mount on .40 size aircraft.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88527.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	82197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32040.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	82198  
Old 12-14-2003, 04:29 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Recognize these floats?

They look like the floats that were supplied with a "Schneider Sport" and I forget who the manufacturer was. THe pointy ends contribute to some streamlining-they're pretty clean. They are actually quite efficient floats and work well. A good choice for a .40 size model.....great for something hot like a Sig Kougar. You can still get Schneider floats in fiberglass from SeaCommander floats: http://www.seacommander.com/
Old 03-08-2004, 05:36 PM
capncrunch
My Feedback: (5)

You have a pasir of Stream ABS Plastic floats. They do not require a rudder in most applications, and are one of the very best float designs ever done. Unfortunately, they will leak at the seams, and the last sets were made about 1987, so they aren't brand new. There are a number of people still flying them, but I would check them every time that you come out of the water. (Pick the model up and tilt it back and forth, you will hear any water inside the floats sloshing around. I used to put a tiny hole on the top of the floats between the attachment brackets and cover it with a piece of tape. Hot stuff will seal the seams (or MEK) for awhile

Good luck!

Oh....and don't overtighten the nuts holding on the floats, the ABS extrusions will "crumble". I can't tell if the rods are threaded or not
Old 03-16-2004, 08:11 PM
goldwinger
My Feedback: (1)

Yes they are stream floats last sets around 1987-88 Having been a member of the "Stream Team" I ended up with few sets of 40-60 size and a couple sets of the 120 size . we tried them on different airplanes be sides Schneider Sport ,Aqua Sport, a Cub and Trainers all with great reviews. We try with and with out water rudders and found that if you used them without,all you had to do was give the Elev. full up and burp the throttle and turn.The tails would dig end and let you turn in cross wind
WE had a few sets of 320 size or 1/4 scale size made in F-glass very rare. $$$ to have made .You can use a Thin C A to reseal the seams ,we used MEK to melt scrape abs to make a glue to wick into the seams
I'm now thinking about doing a H9 S Cub or T craft on floats ,the 120 floats are 42" long and the 320's are 54" long . It going to be a close call