Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

4-Stroke for Mariner

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

4-Stroke for Mariner

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 07:17 PM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4-Stroke for Mariner

Wondering what size 4 Stroke to put on a .40 sized Mariner Chief aircraft has some great prices on Satio's. Also is there room for the larger prop?
Old 12-24-2003, 01:30 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 4-Stroke for Mariner

A OS 52 would work ok but a Saito 72 would be better.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:01 AM
Dan Taylor
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heck a Magnum or asp 52 would work just fine and a lot cheaper!!!
I have been using both and many different 40 size aircraft and had plenty of power with a 12 x 5 wood prop
on the mariner the one I saw fly here broth a wing joiner on a firm landing but was able to fly again after miner repairs in the field on a rainy day
Old 12-27-2003, 01:31 AM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there TwoStroke--Whatever engine you put on your Mariner--do NOT use a wodden prop. That is very important, because the water will EXPLODE the wood prop!! Maybe not on the first flight, but it will. And here's another tip from experience--I just lost my Mariner due to the glue joint on the elevator halves comming loose. You'll have to uncover the joints and re-glue them with epoxy. I think they used ca there and after three months of flying almost every week-end, water seeped under the covering and in the joint and that's all it took. I was just finishing a 45 degree dive over the pond, just leveling out about 10 feet above the water, when I heard this very loud flutter. 1/2 a second later it dove in. And to make matters worse--the engine pod broke off and sank !! All other control surfaces were fine. the elevator halves were as two seperate pieces-the glue joint just let go. But, it's a beautiful plane, flys great, lands great, and will do any thing you ask it. Just check out the glue joint on the elevator halves before you put it in the air.
Hope this saves your plane and any others that read this. Happy "Splash N Dashes"-John