Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Turbo Beaver Ski flight, report.

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Turbo Beaver Ski flight, report.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 08:02 PM
Smoky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Beaver Ski flight, report.

Hi all.
I just couldn't wait any longer! LOL. I took the Beaver out today and Ironed out all the stretch marks from wringin itout last time I flew it.
Then it looked so good sitting there, I decided to go flying today. I had it charged up and ready to go, so I installed the ski's from my Kadet on it. way tiny but worked. LOL
The temp was -15 deg Celcius. and a light snow was falling. but next to no wind.
I had trouble starting the beast, but once started it ran beautiful. The time is about 4:45 PM and the light is just starting to fade. I just used the snow covered grid for a runway. worked ok.

The Radio was fine in the house but when I took it outside and turned it on, I had glitch jitter happening with the ailerons. It flew ok. But makes me nervous. all other controls were stable.
Only the ailerons we're Jittering. I have a JR Radio with 2 aileron servo's Both jittered.
2 flap servo's we're stable as well as all others. I've had these Jitter after a fresh recharge when flying but ussually clears up after about 10 seconds of being turned on. Today it Jittered all the way through until I didn't dare fly it again. It sure runs down the batteries fast.
The Jitter would stop if I turned off the transmitter. Makes me think it is the TX causing it.??

Here is some Pics, the 1st is of take off and the second is a slow flaps down flyby. For some reason I like that, I had an amature using my camera so the pictures ain't perfect.
enjoy.
Rick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27238.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	86344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51466.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	86345  
Old 12-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turbo Beaver Ski flight, report.

Good lord, I can't believe it. We here in Florida always knew you snowbirds were a little crazy. Brrr. I wimped out today because the temperature only got into the low 60s and here you are flying in the white stuff. I'm proud of you, but I'm sure glad I live down here. Brrr. We always get a few from Canada, Wisconsin, Minnesota and other northern countries down here for the winter. They are in shorts and we are bundled up in heavy coats, thermal underwear, ear muffs and gloves.

Nice looking plane. Ya'll come on down here and bring your planes, yu heah.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:58 AM
DavidMC
My Feedback: (6)

Great action shots of the beaver! Time to make up some larger skies - those things look dinky on it though

Here are some pics of the real ski on a regular beaver. http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...er/walk361.htm
http://www.dhc-2.com/id278.htm
http://www.dhc-2.com/id818.htm

-15! Wow, your a brave man. I'd don't think I'd fly if it was past -5 and no wind. As for the radio interference, it could have been the snow maybe.... Have you tried braiding or twisting your ailerons servo leads though (I assume you have one out in the wing panel for each aileron)? That might help. You really shouldn't be getting any gitter.

Dave
Old 01-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Smoky

Thanks Dave: For the tip on twisting the Aileron servo leads! I didn't even think to do that. LOL
Thant is what makes this forum so worth it. I just rerouted the leads away from the antenae, and battery supply leads. but now will twist em too. I 'll let you all know if it cures it.
Rick.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:33 PM
DavidMC
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Rick,

You may also want to try a ferrite ring or one of those glitch busters if the other methods don't work.

Dave
Old 01-10-2004, 07:05 PM
hoverVT
My Feedback: (14)

What type of kit or arf is that beaver as I am dying to build one on floats but cant find much out there on the beaver and does anyone know where to find on in the 120 or 1/4 scale size, by the way nice pics and cant wait for this weather to break it was -30 below for the past 3 days and it is getting old keep up the winter flights[8D] Tony
Old 01-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Smoky

It is an 8 foot 1/6th scale Unionville Turbo Beaver. You can get it here,
http://www.greathobbies.com/
amongst other places. I don't know if they make a bigger one.
I think 6 and 8 footers only.

Unionville doesn't have a website. but their Phone number and addy is.

PO Box 135
Markhan Ontario Canada L3P 3J5
Tel: 905 640-1534

Hope this helps.

Rick.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:06 AM
David Smith

I was out flying yesterday (sports model with skis and the temp was -12, also had some problems getting the engine going. Do you have any any good tricked for starting in these temps? I am thinking of trying to find a 12v hairdryer to warm the engine before starting. Yesterday we used the heater exhaust of my friend's van, but I don't always go with him!
Old 01-11-2004, 09:27 AM
richblin

Hi
Here are some tips from our own experience for glow engine operation in freezing temperatures:
1. Use a higher nitro content in fuel, use synthetic oil and maybe a warmer glow plug than in summer.
2. Bring a thermos bottle with hot water, pour it (carefully)over the cylinder before starting the engine.
3. Fasten one or two plastic strips around the cylinder ribs, this gives a higher operating temperature.
4. Use if necessary a dash of Aerosol car engine starting gas through the carburettor before starting.
5. Let the engine warm up properly before take-off.
Enjoy!
Richard Blindheim
RCFLIGHT
http:www.rc-flight.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66229.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	89546  
Old 01-11-2004, 10:21 AM
David Smith

Thanks, I might try the hot water trick. The flying is fine, just the starting that has been tricky.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:56 PM
molchaser

I moved out the real cold weather 25 years ago

However priming with lighter fluid was a pretty reliable way getting things started in below freezing temperatures
Old 01-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

HoverVT,

Unionville offers the radial Beaver in 1/4 scale (12'); 1/6 scale (8'); and 1/8 scale (6'). The Turbo beaver is only available in the 8' version. They also offer the radial Otter in 6' and 8' spans.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Old 01-14-2004, 10:35 PM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have always had good luck using lighter fluid to prime the engine in cold weather. Warming the engine is also a good idea...Seaplane
Old 01-15-2004, 02:26 AM
David Smith

I think my basic mistake was taking a four stroke with me last weekend! I have not had so many problem with a two stroke, easier to prime and less mass to get warm.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:21 AM
Smoky

I think i found the Glitch Jitter problem.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...tm.htm#1438507

I am not the only one having trouble with cold weather flying with digital servo's on a JR 8103
with r700 rx. I just hope the fix is simple.

Rick.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:36 PM
tks1

I havent been here for a while but have used WD40 to start in the winter. Just a little squirt in the carb and let it warm up once it starts and its good to go. Not sure if it works on the 4 strokes as well.

tks1
Old 03-18-2004, 11:39 PM
springfield111

Hey Smokey, I'm from Melfort, Sask. I seen a beaver exactly like that hanging from the ceiling in hobbyworld at Saskatoon. Is that the one? or did you build it yourself? I'm building the 8' radial version right now. I have the wings and tail all covered, just about ready to start on the fuse. Now that my 2 boys are finished playing hockey for the season, I can have more time for the planes. check out our website "www.melfortaeromodelers.com" see what you think! Happy flying with the Beaver.....K
Old 03-19-2004, 11:48 AM
tks1

That is the one from Hobby World in Stoon. I saw it there too and had to ask him the same question