Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Anything I need to know? New to floats.

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Anything I need to know? New to floats.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 01:30 PM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything I need to know? New to floats.

I am building a GP .40 sized fabric covered ARF. I will be installing the GP fiberglass prefab floats. I will be running a Magnum .61 fourstroke in the plane. I plan on maidening the plane on wheels until I get my engine tuned to to a reliable state. Once the engine is running reliably, on go the floats.

I have read many of the posts here in this forum, but felt that I need to make my own post since I haven't read any about this particular combo. I consider myself to be pretty advanced when it comes to land geared aircraft and have no problems with takeoffs and landings with any plane, from a Cub to a P-51 Mustang. I have a feeling that there are a few things that need to be known before going out on the water for the first time with a plane, but I don't know what they are. Can anyone give me some helpful hints before starting out on water for the first time. Like I said earlier, I'm definately not new to R/C planes, just new to floats. I figured it would be better to ask for advice "before" rather than giving a plane an un-needed bath.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated,

John
Old 03-01-2004, 01:46 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Anything I need to know? New to floats.

A few things worth mentioning are:

Make sure that you're using either flex type push rods, or steel wires that run through a tube. You don't want to have pushrods that just exit the plane via a hole in the side of the fuse, or water can get in there.

Wrapping your Rx in a plastic bag is also a good idea.

As far as flying goes, on takeoff, try to keep the wings level. Dipping a wing also means dipping a float, and all that drag on one side can result in (a wet version of) a ground loop.

Same goes for landing. One thing that can make your landings look nicer is to add a little power (just a click or two) just as it's about to touch down.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:06 PM
yard-dart

When landing the plane, does the nose want to go over when the floats make contact with the water, or is the transition pretty smooth? Do I need to stay on elevator until it comes to an idle speed?

Thanks,

John
Old 03-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Neo02

I usually apply full elevator until the plane comes off the step, i.e. at low speed - the transition is indeed quite smooth. Failing to do so might have fatal consequences! It is also a good habit to taxi on the water applying full elevator: this keeps the prop clear of water and water spray. Same goes for the take-off run: I ease on the elevator as soon as speed is picked up.

Regards
-Fabrizio
Old 03-02-2004, 04:12 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, apply full or nearly full elevator during taxi and even higher speed taxi and initial take off run. But definitely cut back before reaching take off speed or you will dump it in the water. It will take off and you will not have control.
Let it turn into wind. If it is not headed into the wind do not take off. Start over and let it point right into the wind. Then wings don't come up unexpectedly and things don't get wet.

We use ordinary pushrods with small exit holes and have no real water problem.

When landing keep holding off....... just like on land but extreme and it will just touch on the water. If you come in steep and don't round out a little above the water you will bounce and may damage your float setup. Very similar to wheels but hold off a few inches above the water as long as you can.
No, the nose does not want to go over on landing.

If you tip over on the water, do not put it right side up during retrieval. Keep the model upside down with the water lying at the top until you get it to land an ddrain it out carefully. Leave it inverted to dry out a bit. If you put it upright with water in it the receiver, battery, etc. get wet.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:14 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

4*'s right, there's no tendency to nose over. Just land as you normally would, and you shouldn't have a problem. Just make sure your wings are level!

Then, as I said, a click or two of power just before touchdown really makes for a pretty landing. (Gives it that extra boost to overcome the drag of the water)
Old 03-03-2004, 09:33 AM
yard-dart

Thanks for the info guys, I hope to have it in the air this weekend. Like I said before, the planes maiden will be with wheels, but after everything is trimmed and running properly I'll install the floats. As soon as I get the first water flight on it, I'll give an update of how it went.

Thanks again for the info,

John
Old 03-20-2004, 12:18 AM
jmupilot

One thing I've found is you can not use wooden props on water. If they get the tinyest bit of spray at full rpm they will split at the tips. That water is a lot harder than air. Use a APC or Master Airscrew.

Pete
Old 03-20-2004, 10:17 AM
yard-dart

Will do.

Thanks,

John